‘If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.’
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
And at charming Ca’ Carmini there’s a garden, books and more!
Offering a wonderfully faded and cosy Venetian elegance just to the rear of the noble 16th century canal-side Palazzo Foscarini ai Carmini (whose towering façade with arched ‘serliane’ windows provides backdrop to James Bond’s perilous gondola ride in the 1979 classic 007 movie ‘Moonraker’!) sits this characterful 1 bedroom duplex Venetian home.
Sleeping up to 4 guests in peaceful surroundings literally moments from the ancient Church of Santa Maria Dei Carmini, the Scuola Grande dei Carmini with its ceiling paintings by Tiepolo, and the lively buzz of the students’ favourite Campo Santa Margherita, Ca’ Carmini is laid out over 2 floors of the Palazzo and is both gracefully furnished and rich in laid-back appeal.
Peppered with period features and the comforts and conveniences of home including air-conditioning, Wi-Fi connection, and a washing machine (so ideal for longer stays), the apartment is reached via the Palazzo’s main ‘androne’ (hallway) which in turn leads guests outdoors and into Ca’ Carmini’s private walled and furnished courtyard garden – the perfect spot for ‘aperitivi’ before heading out to dinner or whiling away the hours with a glass of wine and a good book.
Once inside, accommodation comprises -
• A chintzy and heavily beamed sitting-cum-dining room overlooking the garden with artwork covered walls, a sofa, a double sofa bed, plus a dining table for 4
• A compact yet well-equipped galley-style kitchenette
• A small and simple bathroom with shower
Stairs to the First Floor where you’ll find
• An attractive 2nd sitting room also overlooking the garden and featuring wooden flooring, a pair of sofas, a desk/study area, and an extensive collection of art-inspired books (mainly in Italian, French and English) – please read and enjoy to your heart’s content!
• A stylish main bedroom presented in a rich and relaxing Venetian red and with a double bed, wooden flooring, decorated beams and soft lighting
• A further bathroom, simple in style, with bathtub and hand-held shower
A well-loved Venetian home with personality and a garden, and a stylish yet comfy art book-lover’s delight!
Wonderfully situated in a special part of Dorsoduro where residents and students from the university meet for a ‘spritz’ and to catch up on news, and where cafes, eateries, bars and gelaterie all join together in creating a buzzing and very local (and very ‘real’) Venetian atmosphere.
A short walk to the Church of San Sebastiano and its marvelous Veronese paintings, to the beautiful Ca’ Rezzonico Museum of 18th Century Venice on the Grand Canal, to the stunning and sunny Zattere promenade, and to 2 vaporetto (water bus) stops (San Basilio and Ca’ Rezzonico) for hassle-free travel to the many must-see sights around town.
Close to the popular Venice Jazz Club and to the fruit and vegetable boat moored at San Barnaba, and to some of our favourite Venice restaurants including Da Codroma, Alla Bifora, Enoteca Ai Artisti (booking a must due to its tiny size!), Ai Quatro Feri, plus Pane Vino e San Daniele in sleepy Campo dell’ Angelo Raffaele – setting for the wonderful novel ‘Miss Garnet’s Angel’ by Salley Vickers.
Within moments of a traditional ‘macelleria’ (butcher’s shop), a well-stocked 2 floor Punto Simply supermarket, Campo Santa Margherita’s fresh fish, fruit and vegetable stalls, plus 2 ‘vino sfuso’ (wine on tap) shops satisfying all your self-catering needs.
Also within easy walking distance of Piazzale Roma if travelling light!