Birdsong is at Bongaree, Bribie Island - 1 hr north of Brisbane and 1 hr south of the Sunshine Coast in Queensland Australia & about 50 mins from Brisbane Airport.
Bribie is the only Queensland Island connected to the mainland by bridge.
Birdsong is a spacious, stylish, modern 2-bedroom villa built as part of our old beachfront Queenslander. It is independent of our own accommodation, and has its own solar-heated 15.3 meter lap pool set in a large beautiful private garden full of rare and unusual tropical and native plants.
Although within easy walking distance of restaurants, cafes, sports clubs, the RSL, and beach activities, it is a quiet and relaxing location. The noisiest residents are the native birds! It is arguably the loveliest residential part of Bribie Island.
The location is perfect for a relaxing holiday or weekend getaway. Some of our features include:
We love animals and would like to accommodate your pets. We can take most dogs, pet birds and possibly other animals. Please contact us to see if we can accommodate your particular pets. We definitely welcome guide dogs and disability assistance dogs.
We have a fenced yard which adjoins a large undercover deck. Pets can move independently and securely between their yard, the deck, and inside the villa.
You can walk your dog/s on off-leash dog beaches. Our closest off-leash beach is about a 1.3 km street-walk away (3 mins by car). When the tide is lower, you can also do the trip on foot on the beach.
Wheelchair / Disability Accessible
Fully wheelchair accessible and was designed by an experienced occupational therapist. This includes:
- Completely flat flooring from front entry to pool at back with the exception of bathroom doorway lip (12 mm) and (16 mm) lip to back deck and pool.
- Wet-room bathroom with hand-held shower & no shower hob, and hospital-grade, slip-resistant vinyl flooring.
- We can provide a shower chair and raised toilet seat if required.
Lots of things to do. There are ample opportunities to:
- Swim in your own private lap pool at Birdsong &/or at the Bribie Island Aquatic Centre & we have easy beach access for swimming in the Pumicestone Passage
- Cycle along Bribie's extensive network of bike paths. A beautiful waterside bike path runs past Birdsong.
- Beach & bush walk - Bribie is very flat so you don’t have to be super fit to enjoy these pastimes.
- Fish from either beach or boat. The beach in front of Birdsong is popular for fishing.
- Kayak in the ocean or the network of canals
- Play golf at one or both of the 2 golf courses on Bribie Island.
- & Sail, surf, sailboard, jog - to name just a few more!!!
- Bird-watch - The local area is home to more species of birds than Kakadu!! A short walk from Birdsong is Buckley’s Hole, a fresh-water lagoon popular with bird watchers and many local and migratory birds. There is even a bird hide.
- Enjoy native wildlife - Most of the island is uninhabited with 55.8 square kilometres of national park and forestry plantations. Consequently, native wildlife abounds, whether it be kangaroos on the beach, black cockatoos in our Banksia tree, or dolphins frolicking near the beach.
- Go 4-wheel driving on approved beaches or through the bush up the centre of the island
- Take a Ferryman Cruise up the Pumicestone Passage. The trips range from 2 hrs to all day and include meals, and the boat is wheelchair friendly.
- Visit The Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology, a 15 min drive from Bribie. The Abbey Museum has some of the most significant holdings of international art and antiquities in Queensland.
- Visit Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo - 54 km north of Bribie and a 45 - 50 min drive. It is also wheelchair friendly and thoroughly recommended.
- Visit the Sunshine Coast which begins at Caloundra, about 1 hour from Bribie.
- Explore the lush Sunshine Coast Hinterland - including the villages of Montville, Maleny, Mapleton & Flaxton (about a 1 hour drive) and experience nature, art galleries and wonderful food.
- Sit on the beach or in the park and eat some of the best fish and chips.
- Dine out at a selection of cafes and restaurants - the best being a 10 min walk from Birdsong.
- Even make use of some modern conveniences - an air-conditioned twin cinema; well-stocked supermarkets; and all the usual facilities you need to lead your daily life.
- Enjoy the Bowls, Golf, Surf, & RSL clubs - Some have courtesy buses &/or are a short walk from Birdsong.
- Built from Zego (concrete filled polystyrene blocks), so has an energy rating of 9/10, making it cool in summer and warm in winter. There are heaters and fans for when the weather gets extreme, which is very rare.
- All the doors and windows and many other fittings are recycled. This includes stained glass and lighting from various periods, including Victorian.