When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
Unplug from the world at this mountain retreat located just minutes from the Little Switzerland Cafe in Little Switzerland, NC.
Property hiking, mountain viewing, gem chasing and relaxing are all on the agenda here at Hemlock Hollow. Area restaurants and local watering holes are available should you want to pass on cooking in the gourmet kitchen offered.
2 hours drive from Charlotte and 1 hour away from Asheville - you'll find Lt. Switzerland conveniently located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.
We really enjoyed our stay here. It actually ended up being just across 226a from a cabin I had stayed before, so I was reasonably familiar with the area. I saw other reviews mention that you need 4WD to get to the cabin, but that is definitely not the case. We had no problems in a Honda Accord or older Kia Optima (4cyl). I've definitely had many cabins with MUCH steeper grades.
The inside of the cabin was very spacious, yet cozy, and it had a well outfitted, large kitchen. We cooked most of our meals there and on the grill, which was clean (I was happy to see that)! It also had a really large dining room table, which was great to be able to spread out games on and eat at.
The rooms were nice and the beds comfortable as well. Slept like a baby each night :).
The only things I would mention to future renters are the following:
1 - Theres no HVAC upstairs (that we could see), so it can get a little warm if you don't get ahead of things. It was in the 80's inside the house when we arrived, and warmer upstairs, but we cranked the AC down and opened some upper windows, and by morning it was pretty chilly in the house. Once we got the temp under control, it wasn't bad.
2 - Theres a gate that you also have to open to get to the property. Its a minor thing, but we missed that in the welcome email, so its just something to be aware of!
3 - There is internet, but its a little slow. I personally am not complaining at all, I generally to go the mountains because then its easier to disconnect from everything, but if you NEED internet, just keep this in mind...of course, most places in the mountains have slower internet anyways.
Overall it was great though! Would certainly recommend this to others and be happy to stay there again!
It always makes me nervous renting a place sight unseen, but we were not disappointed. In fact, we were already planning another visit by the second day. The photos are accurate and although roomy, the cabin felt intimate and cozy and had wonderful acoustics and lighting. The kitchen was decently appointed (no there isn't an espresso machine or ice maker) and the appliances all worked to spec. It was awesome having a gas range to cook on for every meal. There are outlets everywhere-even the deck-so you can plug in without having to worry about extension cords or outlet strips. Hot water was adequate for three shower hogs.
The privacy was truly welcome as we had no interruptions by the owner or caretaker the entire time-and we enjoyed not having to worry about disturbing anyone nearby. The sound of the stream was very soothing and masked the engine sounds from the road below. 226A apparently is popular with the motorcycle crowd, but we rarely heard them.
They did have dish detergent and dishwasher soap and kitchen towels, coffee filters, salt, pepper and a few spices-but plan on stocking the cabin as you would any vacation rental and bring along favorite pots or kitchen tools (beyond a toaster, blender, coffee pot and microwave) so you will have what you need. This is the mountains, so any trip to the store to restock will take a bit of time-but there is a Walmart on either side of the ridge if you forget anything. This time of year, you will be pestered by mosquitos and ticks (yes we found one after a hike) so plan to bring bug spray and bug-resistant clothing.
The deck along the side is a bit sketchy-two of the posts were not very secure (the ones above the garage door) so if you are bringing young children, I'd ask the owners if the railing has been repaired. The internet works fine in the cabin, but prior to reaching the cabin, the cell connection became non-existent, so do print out a map of the area as well as the instructions on how to access the cabin because most likely your phone will be useless.
The driveway was a little twisty; we did ok in the two vehicles we drove, an Element (AWD) and a Ford Edge (FWD). We ended up driving beyond the cabin gate-the driveway access is the first gate on your left, but there are no signs on it indicating it is the one you by which you access the cabin.
Our only fear is that everyone else will discover this place and it will get fully booked! We are definitely planning on coming back!
The house was beautiful, the location grand! We enjoyed our stay and would visit again. The only complaints are that we had no hook up to the gas fireplace (which was gorgeous) and that the driveway was a difficult climb for a standard type vehicle. The lulling of the stream that ran through the property was mesmerizing and the all wood walls, floors and ceilings kept you in the nature setting. Thank you for the great extended holiday weekend!
We stayed here and absolutely loved it. This is our go to place to get away for a few days. Highly recommend staying here if you like getting away from the hustle. This cabin is perfect and we are already planning our next trip.
Had a wonderful stay here this past October for leaf season. We were blown away by the beauty and scenery of this mountain property. The house is light, spacious, clean,modern and comfortable with plenty of windows to enjoy the spectacular view. The kitchen was well equipped with everything you need and plenty of room. The furniture and beds were clean and comfortable. This place is even better than the pictures!
Enjoyed the soothing sound of the stream running through the property from the deck.
The location in Little Switzerland charming, full of natural beauty, not commercialized and close enough to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Srpuce Pine is a 15minnute drive with a great grocery store ( Ingalls) along with restaurants and shopping.
The best we ever stayed using VBRO!!
Enjoyed the soothing sound of the stream running through the property from the deck.
This place was a mixed bag, probably with the negatives outweighing the positives by a fair margin. So, let’s start with the positives:
1. In a beautiful part of the mountains. The location is ideal for a secluded mountain getaway.
2. House is fairly big, but the extra square footage of it is unfinished, downstairs where the laundry room is located. The ground floor and upstairs are roomy for six to sleep in.
3. The kitchen is complete (save for an ice maker and water dispenser in the refrigerator).
4. Nice gas grill that worked great several times through out stay.
5. We didn’t have to pay for our pets to stay
And now the negatives:
1. Accessing the house is VERY difficult in a non-four wheel or all-wheel drive. The other reviews stating this are correct. To get up the driveway, you have to keep up your speed or you will NOT make it. A note, we had a fully loaded Honda Odyssey and it was sketchy. If you have a low clearance vehicle, you may want to consider someplace else.
2. One of the advertised second televisions in a bedroom is not there, it was stolen by a previous guest (wow, really?) and has not been replaced, so the only television is in the living room. If you have kids, you will be watching their shows with them. And speaking of television, the DirecTV was not up and running, had to call about that to get it ordered/working properly.
3. The most important thing for most people is internet access at a week’s stay. The only service at this house is Hughesnet through DirecTV (satellite based). Extremely slow, worse than dial up. To make matters worse, when we arrived, there was no wifi for accessing via mobile devices. In calling the owner, they thought there was one at one time, so that walked off as well it seems, but a quick trip to the local Wal-Mart and we were in business. The owner refunded the money spent getting their wifi back in business (much appreciated and those experiencing it after our visit, you should be good to go).
4. There are three bees nests over the back deck, which you have to look out for with kids or with anyone who is allergic to bees.
5. The master bathroom floor was filthy and stained from the floor rugs. That and all the bathrooms were not clean (toilets especially so). We had to clean and wipe them down upon arrival.
6. Not a deal breaker, but the house seems to be lacking in atmosphere/coziness. It is just barely decorated, and seems to be left to fend for itself with a local hand