One of two vacation homes offered by Cornerstone Cabins, Located on 70 acres in the Shawnee National Forest, 7 minutes to Cedar Lake, and just 15 minutes away from shopping and award winning restaurants in the town of Murphysboro, you'll love the privacy and the great location. The Loft is spacious, clean, and full of original artwork and antiques. You can relax by a cozy fire or soak in the jetted garden tub. It’s a place to unwind, relax, and reconnect. Read on to learn why you will loving staying at The Loft!
A vacation rental since 2009, our guests often tell us how much they love staying with us and use words like "cozy", "relaxing", "private", "peaceful", "great location", "gorgeous" and "great value" to describe their experience. We think you will, too. Please read on to learn why you should reserve your getaway at The Loft today!
QUICK LIST OF AMENITIES
- 15 minutes to shopping & award winning restaurants
- 24 hour check-in
- Safe, rural location
- Master Suite: queen size bed, writing desk, and private dressing area with en suite bath that includes a jetted garden tub
- Guest Room#1: king size bed, spacious closet, and HDTV with DVD player and satellite TV
- Guest Room #2: full size bed and vanity
- BONUS SPACE - The loft is a space located above the kitchen and living room - it has a low ceiling, so it is great for younger visitors. With a play space and a pallet made of two full-size mattress and lots of pillows, it can be a great sleeping space for them too!
- Foyer with bar & stools, plus a library of books and games
- 50" HDTV with satellite, Blu-Ray player and library of movies
- Queen size sleeper sofa and chaise lounge in great room
- Wood stove for ambiance in great room (wood is not included but is readily available)
- Well-appointed galley style kitchen with full-size appliances, coffee maker and French Press
- Dishwasher (detergent included)
- Range with large oven and downdraft exhaust
- Coffee maker with filters & a French press
- Cookware, tableware, and all the basics
- Bistro table seats 2
- Dining table seats 6
- Island bar seats 3
- Washer and Dryer (detergent and fabric softener included)
- Clean towels, washcloths, and hand towels
- Spacious entertainment deck with picnic table, outdoor chairs, and hammock
- Gas grill- propane included
- Fire Pit (wood is not included but is readily available)
- Central heat and air
- Eclectic custom artwork and sculptures
- Acreage to explore
- Creek runs along the side of the property near the house
- Landline telephone with emergency service
- Optional second cabin nearby (property number 898667) for added capacity - each cabin is secluded and has plenty of greenery and room around them for privacy
Please reserve your dates today, before someone snatches them up! We’d love to leave the light on for you.
ABOUT THE AREA
Pomona is a small hamlet located outside of the Carbondale/Murphysboro area near Cedar Lake. Less than 5 minutes off of a main highway, it is just 15 minutes from shopping and supplies in Murphysboro and 25 minutes from Carbondale. From area wineries and breweries to hiking, shopping and eating award winning BBQ, there is a lot to do in the region. Read on to learn more!
THINGS TO DO
- Southern Illinois Wine Trail
A big draw for the region is the Shawnee Wine Trail. With over a dozen wineries in the area, there's no shortage of styles and cool places to visit! Many of them offer live music on the weekends when the weather is warm (which is most of the year), as well as delicious food and scenery that helps you kick back and relax. Let us know what style of wine you like and we can point you to some places you are sure to love! We can also help you make arrangements for a shuttled private tour! As us for details.
- Farmers Market, Fruit Stands & Agritourism
The Southern Illinois region is known as "Little Egypt" because of its proximity to the great Mississippi River and because of its fertile land! The region is full of farms, orchards, and groves of all sorts and hub of entertainment. Carbondale, plays host to one of the oldest farmers markets in the mid-west and is certainly one of the largest in the region! It is held on Saturdays in the Murdale Shopping Center area of Carbondale. So, if you are into cooking, you will love all of the heirlooms, unique varietals, and cottage industry products found at this terrific market. (Available April-November).
Want other culinary stops? Area towns have festivals, U-pick fruit farms, farm tours and other agritourism jaunts, as well as great area markets! Ask us what’s going on when you’ll be in town! We’re happy to help you make a memory.
- Rock Climbing, Hiking, Sightseeing & Water Sports
There is a little something for everyone in Southern Illinois. The region is famous for rock climbing, hiking, mushroom hunting, and water sport destinations!
Closest to the house - The Pomona Natural Birdge is within walking distance, Cedar Lake is just minutes away and is a great spot for getting on the water and picnics!
Check out the Shawnee National Forest - known for its annual snake migration every April!
Giant City Park with some of the best rock climbing to be had in the region!
Devil's Backbone, Crab Orchard Lake and the National Wildlife Refuge - terrific for bird watching - are other great natural attractions in the area! Trail of Tears State Park, . . . to name just a few.
Petroglyphs, drawings by Native Americans on rock faces and in caves, are something unique to the region. Visiting these sites is something like a treasure hunt for hikers and is perfect for history buffs, too!
- Restaurants & Things To Do
Just 15 minutes away in Murphysboro visitors will find 17th Street BBQ - voted the #1 BBQ in America by Bon Appetit magazine and the Food Network! There's also The Rule of Pie - which makes pies from scratch daily, Cummares Italian Restaurant, Brews Brothers pub and great antique stores and mom and pop shops downtown. The town also offers Riverside Park, which banks the Big Muddy River. The park is known for its dog park, paved walking trails and terrific playgrounds! And, though technically in the the town of Ava, Scratch Brewery draws people from all over to their craft brewery and restaurant, so when you come be sure to put them on your list. It's a small trek to get to, but is totally worth it!
Carbondale is the main hub for the region. It is about 20-25 minutes from The Barn using HWY 127. Carbondale is the home of the Salukis! Southern Illinois University Carbondale is a world class teaching and research institution. Like any college town, you can pick from any number of terrific restaurants and night spots or cruise out in the morning for a hot cup of coffee and from scratch breakfast at one of the many local restaurants. We love Harbaugh's, The Co-op, Longbranch Coffee House, Thai Taste, Newell House, Global Gourmet, The Hanger 9 Bar, and so many others. Please ask us for tailored suggestions! We are glad to help. The University Mall in Carbondale has a bevy of stores for shopping, plus a state of the art theater. If you are looking for something a little more mom and pop, the downtown area of Carbondale, plus the smaller towns in the area like Murphysboro and Cobden are just the ticket. They offer craft stores, antique shops, cool home goods and clothing stores and knickknack stores where bargain hunters can find a treasure!
Nearby, the town of Cobden is home to quaint art galleries, antique shops and restaurants such as the Yellow Moon Cafe, a hidden gem for great desserts, local fare, and live music on weekends. On the streets of Cobden you can also find the Taquería Pequeña, an amazing “little house of tacos” and The Old Feed Store, a music venue featuring local and national talent. The region has numerous festivals: Brew Fest, Wine Festivals, Murphysboro Apple Festival, music festivals of all sorts in downtown Carbondale. Both Carbondale and Murphysboro have fantastic Thursday night Sunset Concerts in the summer! Ask us about what might be going on during the time you plan to visit and we'll send you some great ideas!
Murphysboro's Riverside Park offers a lovely spot for kids to play and has a dog park, too!