- english, Passable (written) Italian
Hi, my name is Stephanie and I live in Auckland, New Zealand.
Stephanie purchased this House in 2008
Why Stephanie chose Ofena
I fell in love with this region when travelling about 12 years ago (it was even more off the beaten path then!), it's a great mix of nature (1/3 of the region is protected with 3 national parks and 38 nature reserves, where you can ski in the morning, have lunch in a lovely hill top town and spend the afternoon at the beach), history (there are Roman ruins, hermitages, medieval villages & towns to explore, countless castles) and culture (museums, galleries, festivals), minus the tourist crowds.
What makes this House unique
My property is a typical stone village house with high ceilings, that has been thoughtfully modernised over time. It's on three levels with all of the living accommodation on the 1st (bathroom, kitchen, lounge) and 2nd floors (bathroom, bedrooms, garden). The views from the balcony are beautiful and change throughout the year. While I don't live on site, I do have a wonderful multi-lingual (English, Spanish, Italian, Russian) property manager who is able to assist with any emergencies (if you wish to have any special assistance, such as being met on site, this will incur an additional charge). I am of course happy to answer any questions and provide information on the local area.
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
Very spacious house in nice Abruzzo village
The location is a very nice starting point to explore the Abruzzo mountain area with its nice villages and towns. And it is only a short way to get to the Adriatic coast.
- Sorgenti di Pescara - nature reserve with walks, picnic, BBQ area and seasonal restaurant in nearby Popoli, springs of the Pescara river
- Capo D'Acqua, dive school with private lake located 8kms from Ofena
- Wolf Visit Centre Popoli, run by environmental cooperative Il Bosso. Houses animals unable to return to the wild (multiple languages spoken)
- Kayaking on the Tirino River (leaves from Capestrano), run by Il Bosso.
- Many local walks/hikes starting from Ofena, Capestrano, Popoli
- Caves at Grotte di Stiffe (L'Aquila)
- Sulmona, home of confetti and the Roman poet Ovid.
- Roman ruins at Alba Fucens
- Roman ruins at Amiternum (outskirts of L'Aquila)
- Rocca Calascio, highest fort in the Appennines.
- L'Aquila, Spanish Fort, Fountain of 99 spouts, Luminous Fountain, Basilica Santa Maria di Collemaggio
- Pacentro, oldest castle in Abruzzo
- Roccascalegna castle
- Cantelmo Castle, Popoli (trails for a short walk and long hike)