DAISY AND THE VILLAGE OF FODELE
Daisy is in a small development of 8 properties, located close to the heart of a Cretan village, where the local people have made a decision for the village to retain its original character. There are no cash machines or English newspapers. The tavernas do not take Travellers cheques and few tourists stay in the village.
Moreover Daisy has a lovely location in 'Orange valley' and it enjoys unspoilt mountain views. They can be seen both from the bedroom balconies and the roof terrace.
Some of our guests like to visit the local resorts such as Fodele Beach and Agia Pelagia, before returning to the village for the evening meal.
The village itself has a special character. Very little has changed over many decades. The locals are proud of their association with El Greco and the fact that the village can sustain itself through the local crafts, farming, farm produce and the visitors who come to see this special village. The Churches in the village are beautiful and they remain the focus of village life. Christenings and weddings are attended by the whole village. You can witness the feast in the village square accompanied by the local music and traditional dances.
Daisy has 2 double bedrooms and 2 shower rooms, one with a bath.. The kitchen is fully equipped and you can choose to eat here or take advantage of the local bakery or the 9 tavernas in the village.They even do takeaways. It is furnished to a high standard to give it a Cretan feel with a touch of John Lewis.
The property enjoys full remote control air conditioning. There are fly screens throughout so you can leave windows and patio doors open. The rear courtyard and balconies are private with a table and chairs.
It is a gated development, separated by the river from direct traffic access, so your children can enjoy themselves in safe surroundings.
we wish to have guests who will treasure our property as we do, and to treat it as they would do their own home. We appreciate that accidents can occur but we do not want the type of damage that is caused by children who are out of control or by adults who have little respect for a holiday property.
If this note of caution is acceptable to you, there is no doubt that you will have a special holiday and may even want to return !
We are so grateful to our guests in 2017 as they have helped us to achieve a Certificate of Excellence. It was a team effort and a reflection of the mutual trust between the guests and the management team. Thank you
DAISY is situated at the heart of a uniquely authentic village. It is totally unspoilt, without cash machines or English newspapers. It has one main street where their traditional crafts are practised, including tapestries; jewellry and of course Cretan cuisine !
You will find much to occupy you in the village. There are 7 tavernas within 300 metres, each with their own specialities. You can take gentle exercise on the various nature trails. The local churches are beautiful and are well worth a visit. You may even go to the museum that commemorates El Greco and his birthplace in Fodele. Unlike the resorts, it stays open throughout the year. For many visitors, it is a reminder of the 1950's
It will appeal to those who wish to be close to sea but would prefer to stay in a proper Cretan village. Fodele Beach is only 2 miles away and it is lovely bay with a sandy beach.. Buy a drink at the taverna and your deck chair is provided free.
YOUR JOURNEY TO FODELE:
Direct flights to Crete are available from April to October. You can choose from a large number of airlines including EasyJet and JET2. There are also comparison websites such travel supermarket, zugu, skyscanner, cheap flights etc., to book flights online.
If you wish to pre book a taxi at Heraklion airport, we can assist you. It is important that you ask to go to the village of Fodele and not Fodele Beach
Fodele village is approximately 30km from Heraklion airport. The car hire depot is simply across the road from the airport building, and we have given you detailed instructions for your 25 minute journey below. The roads are good with only right turns.
1 You leave the airport parking area, towards the traffic lights and bus stop, staying in the right hand lane.
2. Turn right at the lights, again keeping in the right hand lane.
3 After passing a large bus park, look for sign to RETHYMNON/ GHANIA. The slip road is about 200 metres further on.
4. You are now on the highway ; stay on it for about 25km
5. When the highway changes from dual to single carriageway, you will pass a power station on your right. The road becomes winding and uphill. Continue on this road
6 Pass a BP petrol station ; you are now in Agia Pelagia.
7. The highway now goes downhill and you will pass another petrol station. Fodele BEACH is to your right
8. Continue for a further 300 metres, where there is a large junction signposted FODELE. Turn right here and follow a winding road for about 3km until you pass through the village and reach the village square. You will see El Greco Taverna ; a large tree and Souvenir Street on the left adjoining the village square. You can park anywhere in the village square.
9. In order to reach Daisy. You need to retrace your steps down the narrow high street for about 150 metres. You will reach a foot bridge on the left. Domenicos taverna and The 4 season shop is on the right. Cross the footbridge and immediately turn left. Walk along the path adjoining the river for 150metres and you will see a high wall on your right, sign posted Mandarin Grove. You will be given a code for the box to open the gate. Go inside and pass the pool. Daisy is the fourth property on the right. There is a key safe on the wall. Again you will be given the code to open it. There will be 2 keys : to the outside gate and Daisy. Please return them to the key safe on your departure.
Please do not hesitate to ask further questions before you go.
WHY SHOULD YOU VISIT DAISY?
Fodele is an authentic working village, with a unique history and old world charm
It is cheaper than the holiday resorts.
The tavernas are abundant, reasonable and on the doorstep. The home made dishes are wonderful.
Eat by the village stream and feed the ducks
It is a safe environment for children.
A lovely beach is under 5 minutes drive away.
Should you hire a car you will find Crete to be a magical island.
Daisy is a proper home and not a characterless tourist property
TV/DVD combo, satellite (not Sky).
The views from the balcony and roof terrace are beautiful.
The surroundings are orange groves and a wooded park.
The visitors' comments are all positive.
If all this fails to impress you, the local Raki is 5 Euros for a large bottle.
Thank you for visiting our website. Peter and Ann