LoCaMi H & H CERTIFY YOUR HOLIDAY
The apartment LoCaMi HOLIDAY & HOUSE LANE KALSA Located in the heart of the historic center of Palermo Kalsa area between Via Roma and Via Maqueda in a quaint old street from Palermo .The strategic position, 300 meters from the station, bus city ', airport shuttle, tram, metro, It allows to visit entirely on foot, one of the oldest and most interesting tourist for the history, culture, art and the beauty that surrounds the city.
The modern style apartment consists of fully equipped kitchen -living: coffee machine ', kettle, microwave, oven, fridge with sofa bed -, double bedroom with added single bed The apartment is equipped with every comfort air conditioning in all rooms, digital TV. Bathroom with shower. and laundry room, equipped of soaps, laundry, phone. The apartment possesses all comforts that ensure a peaceful and quiet area. Excellent solution for treCOSE TO DO AND SEE IN PALERMO RECOMMENDED BY LoCaMi H & H
Greek and Roman city, Arab capital, land conquered by the Normans, Swabians, French and Spanish. Centuries of history and domination have marked Palermo, multifaceted city, a crossroads of peoples, amalgamation of different cultures and traditions, beautiful and immense. The Sicilian capital proudly displays the testimonies of its glorious past that lives in the grandeur of its artistic and architectural heritage. In the "city of delights" mingle Arab domes, churches from the Baroque, Art Nouveau buildings, neoclassical theaters, eighteenth green and bustling traditional markets space, similar to Arab souks.
Impossible not to be fascinated by this undeniably beautiful city that unfortunately though, displays on many of its monumental assets the signs of neglect and decay, which the mild climate, the vitality of Palermo and extraordinary kitchen will make you forget soon! In this page we show you the 10 most important things to see and do in Palermo.
CATHEDRAL OF PALERMO
It 'was in 1185 that completes the construction of the Cathedral of Palermo. The huge religious building consecrated to the Virgin stands on the site formerly occupied by a Christian basilica (604) transformed by the Saracens in the mosque (831) then (re) converted into a Christian church by the Normans (1072) and restoration .Rimaneggiamenti implemented over the centuries have altered its original appearance which is characterized by the presence of different architectural styles. The main facade between two towers has a large fifteenth-century porch in the Catalan Gothic style, the dome is the late Baroque and the oldest part is the apse with beautiful decorations Arab - Norman. The reconstructed interior design by Ferdinando Fuga in the nineteenth century. Neoclassical is a Latin cross with three naves. Here there are the remains of the real Sicily, including Frederick II, Roger II, and those of Santa Rosalia, the patron saint town. Other tombs in the crypt dating from the sixth century. In the rooms of the Treasury it is possible to admire the golden tiara of Queen Constance of Aragon, along with other precious objects found in the royal tombs.
CHURCH OF PALERMO MARTORANA
Built in 1143 at the behest of George of Antioch, Admiral of Roger II, the St. Mary's church is also known as the "Martorana" because it was given in 1433 by King Alfonso of Aragon to the Benedictine monks of the nearby convent He founded by the noblewoman Eloisa Martorana. Despite the changes made in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries (the Baroque façade is one example), this charming sacred building preserves its original Arab-Norman style as shown by the square body of the same topped by a hemispherical dome and the bell tower open from three rows of arches and large windows. The inside of the church at the top of the walls, soffits and in the dome magnificent Byzantine mosaics are considered the oldest in Sicily. Central point of the whole mosaic decoration is the image of Christ Pantocrator surrounded by archangels, apostles, saints and prophets. The cycle is completed the mosaics with the Nativity of Jesus, Mary's Transit, the Annunciation and the Presentation in the Temple.
PALATINE CHAPEL AND PALACE OF NORMAN OF PALERMO
The Norman Palace, also known as the Royal Palace, is one of the main monuments. The fortification built by the Arabs in the ninth century. It was transformed and enlarged by the Normans who made them the center of their power. That Roger II was a rich palace and sumptuous as evidenced apartments realiabbelliti with mosaics depicting hunting scenes (XII sec.) And the Palatine Chapel, the church of the royal family, decorated with beautiful Byzantine mosaics, considered among the most beautiful in Sicily, and with the beautiful wooden ceiling with stalactites.
After a period of neglect, the palace returned to shine again in the sixteenth century. when Spanish viceroy chose him as their residence. During those years the towers of the Norman period (except for the Pisana tower survivor), were added two large courtyards and further reception rooms, including the Sala d'Ercole which takes its name from the frescoes painted by Velasquez were demolished representing greek hero's twelve labors. Since 1947, the majestic palace home to the Sicilian Regional Assembly. THE CATACOMBS OF PALERMO
The underground cemetery of the Convent of the Capuchins, mistakenly known as "the catacombs" preserves the mortal remains of monks, celebrities, rich people of Palermo and ordinary people. There are about eight thousand mummified bodies deposed from the seventeenth to the end of the nineteenth century in the tunnels built under the convent and the adjacent church dedicated to Our Lady of Peace. The micro - climatic conditions of these burial sites, and the methods used by the monks to embalm the bodies, allowed that the bodies were preserved almost intact, and very recognizable. The Catacombs of Palermo, although being a bit 'outside the city center, is one of the tourist destinations most appreciated by visitors to the Sicilian capital. The charm of the macabre, which is preserved shockingly intact from 1599, never goes out of style. POPULAR MARKETS OF PALERMO
The street markets of Palermo are places out of time, that have preserved the charm of a culture that has left unmistakable signs here. The markets of Ballarò and Vucciria, located respectively near the station and the Church of Martorana, are the most visited, where the colors and the perfumes of Palermo and the whole Sicily, meet on the street stalls. Two other markets must visit are the head of the Apostle, located behind the Teatro Massimo, and Old Village, which is located near the port and is also open at night. Four things to do to relive an ancient Palermo, which never loses its charm.
ROOMS AT THE GENIUS IN PALERMO
Inaugurated in December 2008, the unique "House Rooms Museum to Genius" that takes the same name by the name of culture, contains one of the largest collections in Europe of ancient majolica Neapolitan and Sicilian with over 2300 specimens on display (from the late sixteenth century . at the beginning of the twentieth century.), and other minor collections of contemporary and modern art. The House Museum is housed in an elegant private home in a part of the main floor of the historic building Tower - Piraino, in the center of Palermo. The museum space is divided into 4 beautiful rooms (entrance hall, kitchen room, flower room and neoclassical hall), also used for holding cultural events side. The exhibition adopted for the majolica tiles follows a distinction to age, geographical origin and production highlighting for each of them the most beautiful and valuable pieces. CATHEDRAL MONREALE IN PALERMO
At about 8 km from Palermo, in the town of Monreale, it stands the beautiful cathedral in Arabic - Norman style dedicated to Vergine Maria, a destination for tourists and pilgrims from around the world. The grandiose religious building was built in 1174 at the behest of the Norman King William II after the Madonna appeared in a dream and asked him to build a temple in his honor, pointing to where to find the treasure to do it. The Cathedral presents itself outside with a portico trifora under which there is the valuable portal bronze by Bonanno Pisano, and two large square towers one of which is transformed into a bell. The Latin cross interior is divided into three aisles divided by columns topped by beautiful sculpted capitals; the walls are covered by magnificent mosaics on a gold background of Byzantine school (XII and XIII sec.) depicting scenes from the Bible and stories of the Church, which in 'central apse is added the figure of Christ Pantocrator. Among the many treasures kept there deserve mention: the altar silversmith work Valadier (1711), the sarcophagi of William I and William II, the organ to six of the twentieth century keyboards. Do not miss the Chapel of the Crucifix, beautiful example of Sicilian Baroque, which houses the Treasury of the Cathedral with the reliquary containing a thorn from Christ's crown. Also worth visiting is the arcade cloister of the Benedictine convent (XII sec.), Next to the cathedral to admire the rich decoration of the engraved columns capitals.