|Minimum Stay||3 - 4 nights|
Hope Thatch is a thatched holiday cottage,the oldest house in the South Devon village of Malborough in the South Hams. Dating back to 1650, it is Grade II listed and provides holiday accommodation for 5 to 7 guests in a double bedroom, a twin bedroom and a single bedroom, with a further 2 guests able to be accommodated on the lounge sofa bed. It's refurbished with it’s original character preserved, providing original features including a slate fireplace (now with log burner) and exposed beams. Perfect for families, it caters for babies (cot, high chair, stair gate, steriliser), younger children (private enclosed garden) and teenagers (wifi internet, Sky TV, 43' Smart TV, blue ray DVD, Xbox Kinect & Live). Great for adults (fine dining, romantic log fire). Enjoy a relaxing vacation of walks (South West Coast Path and Dartmoor) and sandy beaches, have an activity holiday (sailing, powerboats, kayaking, golf, SCUBA diving, fishing, hiking). Year round attractions make winter getaways popular. New for 2014 - new architecturally designed extension housing brand new dining kitchen complete with aga rayburn and american style fridge freezer, plus new ultra modern bathroom.
We loved this quaint and cosy old cottage with its thatched roof. The front rooms and bedrooms are old and cosy with a modern kitchen and bathroom on the back. It was a lovely base for a short pre-Christmas break. There is under floor heating in the kitchen and a cosy log burner in the lounge. We had some wonderful walks from the cottage along the coast, with pub meals in Salcombe and Hope Cove.
It may lack kerb appeal for some but inside the cottage is a delight. It has a modern kitchen and bathroom but the living rooms and bedrooms are full of character. The garden has a seating area with good quality garden furniture. It is opposite one of two very friendly pubs in the village that serve reasonable meals. The village has a supermarket and there is a regular bus service to Salcombe and Kingsbridge. I would certainly recommend the cottage to friends.
We really enjoyed a lovely, relaxing week away from work with our three children who are all in their twenties, in this pretty cottage,which blends the old building with the new beautifully. Plenty of space for us to spread out and do our own thing and lots for us to see and do locally, our break was over too soon!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hope Thatch. The cottage was charming, with good facilities and our children really appreciated extras such as 3d TV, Xbox and selection of DVDs. Malborough is only a short drive from Salcombe and is well positioned for visiting beaches in the area. Would recommend Bigbury on Sea and Bantham as good family beaches.
Had a wonderful long weekend at Hope Thatch. Lovely and near to Salcombe , with some fantastic restaurants - we felt like we had been away for a week. The cottage is ideally located to start some truly beautiful walks and to visit the lovely beaches. Spent lazy evenings at the cottage watching DVDs and relaxing in this unspoilt cottage and village. Clean and tidy with everything you need for a relaxing break. The local shop/petrol station also stocks almost anything you might need. Would definitely recommend.
Located between Kingsbridge and Salcombe which offer a fantastic selection of restaurants, bars, amenities as well as the great british seaside. The cottage itself is lovely and whilst having all the 17th century charm and a new wood burning stove it also has all the required modcons including a huge 3D TV, Internet and an Xbox Kinnect.
Special interest holidays:
Situated in the heart of the South Hams district of South Devon, Malborough lies between the sailing centre of Salcombe and the market town of Kingsbridge. A quiet little village that has two pubs, a bistro, a well-stocked supermarket, a post office and gift shop. Ideally situated for the wonderful National Trust coastal walks and the wild beauty of Dartmoor. There is a choice of several sandy beaches all within easy reach of the cottage, from small coves to wide-open sands - ideal for surfing and windsurfing. Also close by is a leisure centre, steam railways, horse riding and golf. The historical seaports of Plymouth and Dartmouth are within a 40 minute drive.
Nearest Beach: South Sands 2 Miles
Nearest Airport 27 Miles
Nearest Train: Totnes 18 Miles
Nearest Motorway: M5 junction 31 44 Miles
Nearest Barpub: The New Inn 0.1 Miles
Nearest Restaurant 0.1 Miles
laundrette - not serviced
golf pass optional
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Deposit of 25% is payable when the booking is made with the remaining 75% payable no later than 8 weeks prior to commencement of the holiday.