Cottage in Tiptoe, NewForest, Hampshire, England - Peaceful Rural Location Surrounded By New Forest Wildlife With Great Walking, Riding And Cycling
- english, french, spanish
About ruth nickoll
I live with my husband and two toddlers in London. We have always loved visiting the New Forest first as a couple and now as a young family. We decided in 2013 that we visited it so often we should look to take the plunge and invest in a second home so we bought and updated Penny Post Cottage. We hope our guests will enjoy it as much as we do.
Why ruth nickoll chose New Milton
As keen cyclists and walkers we love the freedom that the National Park gives to roam and the range of fantastic pubs and restaurants it has. There is a great range of local produce available in nearby farm which as a keen foodie I love to explore. We are in the process of experiencing a whole new incredibly child friendly side to the park and all the entertainments there are available. The New Forest for us is a very easy journey from London and perfect for a week's break or shorter.
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date.
Another fabulous stay!
Having been before, I knew I wasn’t going to be disappointed with this property. Everything was perfect!
Well equipped , had a comfortable stay.
Amazing location for walks as well as a few minutes drive from the coast.
As soon as you go out of the garden gate you see ponies and cattle grazing .
Lovely property in great location
Lovely property in a great location - we loved being able to access the forest from the back garden. The property was plenty big enough for the 6 of us. Only downside was that it wasn’t as clean as we would have liked. Otherwise a lovely break!
We are so sorry there were a couple items which were not up to standard, our usual cleaning company had to bring in a temporary member of staff to cover due to a family emergency and they were not used to the property. As soon as we were told we arranged for a cleaner to come straight back out and rectify the missed bits. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again. Thank-you for looking after the cottage and for your helpful feedback!
Great thanks Ruth
Great location, the house is perfect for a family getaway. Will definately book again.
A lovely property in a fantastic location
We stayed for the Easter weekend, and had some fantastic weather to welcome us!
A beautiful period property situated perfectly a short walk from local pub, and right on top of the New Forest national park, which was lovely.
The property was clean, with all expected facilities. Plenty of spacious rooms for everyone to feel relaxed in. The photos online do not do the house justice, so we were all very happy.
lovely house, great location, a perfect getaway for the family at christmas
7-10 minute drive to Barton on Sea or 15 minute drive to Lymington. Bournemouth is only about 20 minutes away.
Use of car is recommended as the nearest shop is about 1.5 miles away. Tescos and other supermarket chains will deliver directly to the door if you place your orders online in advance.
New Milton is about 2 miles away, Brockenhurst is about 5 miles away and Lymington is about 7 miles away.
There is a full range of shops in New Milton 5-10 minutes drive away and a small local shop in Bashley with a good range of essentials just 1.5 miles away. There is a really great farm shop called Ferndale Farm Shop a 7 minute drive away heading towards Christchurch.
Here are a few young children friendly (and adult!) activities we love when we are down there in case you would like to try them too. This isn’t meant as an exhaustive list of things to do in/near the forest as that list would be very long, just a few things we enjoy that are fairly nearby to the cottage and would like to share.
1) Our favourite beach by far is Hengistbury Head, https://www.visithengistburyhead.co.uk/Home.aspx it’s a 20 minute drive from the cottage but I think worth it. You can drive and park on the headland and take the little land train to the beach (you can walk it, it takes about 20 minutes at adult pace) - however the land train is cheap and the kids love it! Or you can take the water ferry from mudeford quay. There is a nice restaurant on the beach but I recommend booking ahead in the summer months. http://www.beachhousecafe.co.uk
2) My favourite nearby beach is Highcliff, part sandy and part stony. The restaurant at the top is ok but I recently found The Cliff House http://www.thecliffhouse.co.uk a short drive away which I enjoyed more and has occasional events and an outdoor BBQ in the summer holidays. https://www.visit-dorset.com/things-to-do/highcliffe-beach-p1141233
3) The Moors Valley Country Park I think is great value for money, with fun walks, a go ape, a great playground and a steam train all in one place you can easily make a full day of it there. I’d recommend taking a picnic as the food there is OK but not great value for money. Access is free (except for the go ape and train) you just pay for parking. Again this is about 20 mins away but good for overcast days. http://www.moors-valley.co.uk
4) My favourite seaside walk is to stroll along the Hurst Spit - it’s fair distance for little legs so there is an option to take a ferry as well. http://www.new-forest-tourist.co.uk/new-forest-walks/hurst-spit-to-hurst-castle/
5) My newest discovery was the Lymington sea water baths http://www.lymingtonseawaterbaths.org.uk - my kids (3&5) loved them, but I think older children would get even more out of it. There is a splash pool and sandpit for tiny tots! It is a short walk or drive from the town centre so ideal to combine with a lunch or dinner in Lymington. You can hire wetsuits onsite but I would recommend bringing sand shoes or jelly shoes as the bottom of the pool is pebbles and gets a bit sore if you are walking around on them.
6) There are endless walks in the new forest but my kids enjoy the deer at the Bolderwood deer sanctuary and you occasionally see pigs there too! http://www.new-forest-national-park.com/bolderwood-deer-sanctuary.html
7) Restaurants; Sometimes people ask me for restaurant recommendations here are a few I can recommend.
- Child friendly and stumbling distance home the Rising Sun up the Road offers solid pub grub with a great play area. If you are a large party, book ahead in the summer it gets busy. http://www.therisingsunbashley.co.uk
- For a romantic or more adult evening I really recommend the Mill at Gordleton. http://www.themillatgordleton.co.uk
- Near Bank this pub is well located to combine with a forest walk and the food when I have been was good http://www.oakinnlyndhurst.co.uk
- Great for combining with a nearby beach walk and with a nice big beer garden for children to run around in http://beachhousemilfordonsea.co.uk
- The Red Lion at Boldre I think also offers very good food and is worth the drive to get to http://redlionboldre.co.uk
For very special occasions I haven’t been to either The Pig or Limehouse but their reputation suggests they should be good.