One Bedroom/ One Bathroom Beach Front Cottage. The Perfect Romantic Hideaway!
Canceled bookings will not receive a refund
We've been to Hawaii countless times, but our stay at Hale Makai was completely unique. It's all about location and privacy, and this place hits a grand slam with both. It's an unbelievable experience to walk 15 seconds to a completely secluded beach. The whole time we were there, there were anywhere from zero to six other people across a stretch of beach a half mile long. And it's a great beach. In our cottage (#3), there was a wonderful view of the ocean from the main room. I believe only #2 and #3 have an ocean view.
This is a no-brainer five star location. However, there are trade-offs. While the accommodations are very nice, there are some compromises. There is no air conditioning and it can get a little warm in the cottage, but opening the windows and letting the breeze in makes it comfortable for the most part. Just don't expect a nice cool air conditioned room. Also, if you're hoping for a soft bed, you'll need to adjust your expectations. The wifi works fine for the most part and the furniture and appliances were fine.
In spite of some minor trade-offs, we loved this place and will return in the future. It really is a gem.
You won't want to leave!
The Beach cottages are in the perfect location. The beach is a short walk away and though there are 5 cottages on the property, each is built to have a lot of privacy. The cottage itself is thoughtfully appointed. It has most of the things you might need for a short stay. Helps that the appliances are high end, it made making meals here a pleasure. It's minimalistic and has gorgeous lanai's to take advantage of the balmy weather. Susan the manager, was always responsive and very helpful all through. It was hard to say good bye, but we know we will be back at Hale Makai!
Mahalo for your lovely review! We are thrilled that you had a nice stay at Hale Makai Cottages. Please come see us again very soon!
A Gem of Old Hawai'i with Fresh Sparkles
For our first trip to Kaua'i (after repeat visits to O'ahu and Maui over many years), I wanted to choose a hideaway cottage where we could feel the beauty and power of the island's nature with five senses. I was also looking for the comfort of high standard in which we would happily wake up to a fresh morning, enjoy the afternoon or relax and wrap up the evening.
If the above resonates well with you, you will probably not regret driving some extra miles after passing Hanalei, crossing a few one-lane bridges, to eventually find your lovely cottage #3 tucked away off the beaten path in Ha'ena. Certainly we did not. We truly enjoyed every moment of our stay there!
Here are some of the things we particularly loved about Cottage #3:
- Ideally tropical environment surrounded by palm trees, looking out to the ocean (the closest to the beach, of 5 cottages on the property)
- Beautiful coral beach steps away and visible from the living room (Almost-private, shared only with just a handful of neighbors)
- Snorkeling with turtles and fish right there!
- Breakfast on the wooden-deck lanai
- Oversized hammock in the garden
- Big bath tub (with a bonus ocean view)
- Nice balance of luxury and practicality, with well-appointed furniture plus everything you need for a comfortable stay
- The owner took good care of us via emails, while respecting our privacy during our entire stay
Just a few reminders:
- To eat out (except at the next-door Mediterranean), you need to drive 10 to 15 minutes to the next small town of Hanalei. We did not mind driving, and ate at a few fine restaurants there including BarAcuda and Dolphin's.
- On the North Shore of Kaua'i, expect some rain. We were very fortunate to have very little during the day, as it rained mostly at night.
- If shopping is on your To-Do List during your stay on the island, you may not complete your mission here.
For my wife and I, it was Paradise! We absolutely loved Cottage #3 and would recommend to others!