|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
Higgins Lake was recently voted to MSN Real Estate's Top 10 Locations for Boat Owners.
Enjoy our newly remodeled cottage, just a short walk from crystal clear Higgins Lake!
Our quaint yet spacious cottage is nestled in a lush, green forest setting, and is within earshot of the sixth most beautiful lake in the world, Higgins Lake. We have two decks and comfy patio with a gas grill and furniture to help you relax and soak up the summer sun, as well as a soft, grassy lawn and bonfire pit for roasting s'mores under the stars.
Gerrish Twp. park is the local public beach that you can walk to or drive to from the house. It offers excellent swimming with a sandy bottom. Beach-goers can enjoy picnic tables, a gazebo, several grills for cooking out, a jungle gym for kids, plus public restrooms and a rinsing station and is accessible by car (limited parking is available).
The cottage sleeps 6 comfortably. It has a modern interior, and offers many amenities to make your stay as relaxing and enjoyable as possible.
With the cottage being located on the north end of Higgins Lake and conveniently located to I-75 (1.5 miles away) trips to Traverse City, Petoskey, Cheboygan and even Mackinaw Island are recommended day trips (each within 1.5 hours drive).
Book your vacation now!
In 2004 my family moved to Northern Michigan. My husband has worked for the State of Michigan for 25 years and I have worked as an executive assistant for over 25 years. We have four fabulous children, two grandchildren, 3 dogs and 1 cats. We love the outdoors, biking, boating, camping and renovating homes. I guess you could call the later a hobby of sorts.
Lyn Boyd purchased this cottage in 2005
This home was initially purchased as a second home by my father in 2004 and to double as a vacation home for the rest of the family. My family lived in the home twice; shortly after its purchase and again a year later during construction of our home. The house has a very unique 'up-north' atmosphere that is hard to come by. When my father decided to spend most of his time in Oregon, we decided to open the home to seasonal rentals for family and friends alike to enjoy the home and all that the Higgins Lake area has to offer. All the knotty-pine in the home was milled straight from the property during its initial construction over 60 years ago. Over the years small additions to the home were made by the previous owners, but it was in desperate need of updating. Since 2004 the home has been totally remodeled with the utmost effort made to retain its natural 'up-north' cottage feel by leaving as much unique character and knotty-pine as possible. The cottage has been a labor of love and truly has a very special place in our hearts.
Best wishes for a wonderful vacation and we'd love to have you stay with us.
The cottage is a short walk from Gerrish Twp. beach. This is a public beach, but often not busy as it's usually not well known to the tourist traffic. The cottage is not directly on the beach, but this can provide comfort on those windy, cool days. The house has a whole-house-fan that keeps the entire home cool on those warm nights and a small gas fireplace for cooler evenings.
This is by far one of the best VRBO rentals I have had. The cabin was nothing less than what we expected. Everything was extremely clean and lots of extras that renters may need while traveling! Higgins lake is extremely hard to find any hotel or rentals on, this one was perfect!
This was a very nice place. Super relaxing with a beautiful yard for grilling and dining outside. Bathroom shower needs an update along with bath linens. Otherwise the place was very nice, comfortable and clean.
My daughters and I decided to do our first girls only weekend. The pictures just don't do this place justice. Very comfortable and we felt at home immediately. So much room inside and out. One daughter is talking about her own family doing their vacation next year. I highly recommend this home.
We had a great time at Lyn's home. It was clean, cozy, comfortable and stocked with everything we needed to enjoy our stay. Look forward to coming back again next year.
A group of friends and I spent the weekend here and it was wonderful! The cabin is set in a location where you are able to sit outside and relax all day and night. Our group went tubing down the AuSable river which was a very short drive away and we had a blast. Each night we spent time around the campfire which was perfect. The cabin is very quaint and had plenty of space for everyone. We had an amazing weekend and I would recommend this cabin to anyone interested!
My family and I just got back from a beautiful family weekend at Higgins lake. This rental was absolutely perfect...the pictures online don't do it justice! It was well appointed, and had plenty of space for my family to kick back and relax. We enjoyed dinners on the patio, nightly campfires, and hiking and fishing at North Higgins Lake State Park, which is at most a five minute drive from the cabin. We were a little nervous about getting swimmers itch at Higgins Lake, so we went to Otsego State Park (30 minutes north) to swim and had a great time. My only complaint was that we should have stayed another night!
Top Thing to do in City:
* Boating/Jet Skis/Sailing/Swimming.
* Wind Surging/Stand Up Paddle Boarding/Kite Boarding.
* Water Skiing/Snorkeling/Diving.
Top Thing to do in Budget:
* Site Seeing.
Top Thing to do in Family:
* All Water Activities.
* Local Play Grounds.
* Fabulous swimming and snorkeling just a 5 minute walk away in Higgins Lake, in crystal clear water that is wonderfully refreshing in the summer months.
* Ski boats, pontoons and Jet Skis are available for rent from B&B Marina, only a few minutes drive away.
* Windsurfing, kite boarding, sailing and Stand-Up-Paddling conditions are excellent.
* Fishing is great for Perch, Bass, Brown Trout, Salmon and big Lake Trout. Check with the Sports Barn nearby for suggestions.
* Hiking paths can be found a couple miles northwest at The North Higgins Lake State Park or a few miles south at The South Higgins Lake State Park where there are miles of beautiful wooded trails. Cross Country Ski Headquarters, 3 miles southeast, offers wide, wooded trails for bicycling, walking, or running.
* Stone Turtle Yoga, 3 miles southeast, offers multiple yoga and fitness classes throughout the week.
* Bring your bicycles for a bike ride on the well maintained Higgins Lake roads and trails. If you’re really ambitious, bike around the lake!
* There is a gas station within 2 miles and a full grocery within 6 miles - downtown Roscommon. Several small convenience stores within a couples miles. Bart’s fruit market of Houghton Lake offers farm fresh fruits and veggies.
* Great canoeing is offered in The Village of Roscommon - 6 miles away to the east, on the AuSable River (Hiawatha Canoe Livery, Campbell’s, Watters Edge). The Fifth Street Market offers specialty items and an extensive wine selection. There are also a number of restaurants and some gift shops.
* Restaurants include Fred’s (6 miles away in Roscommon) with great food and a Friday fish fry and bowling alley, great for those rainy days. Forest Dunes (10 miles away on Chase Bridge Road northeast of Roscommon) is a 4 star dining establishment and golf Mecca. Dairy Queen is just a couple miles west, and Ausable Baking Company in downtown Roscommon offers delicious sandwiches, baked goods, ice cream and smoothies. Nibbles offers great ice cream and is located 5 miles south.
* Golf options abound, starting with Forest Dunes (Golf World Magazine: #1 Readers’ Choice Award) -10 miles away on Chase Bridge Road northeast of Roscommon). Also a 4 star dining establishment.
* Other surrounding golf courses:
Ye Olde Country Club (4 mi)
Burning Oak (9 mi)
Fox Run (10 mi)
White Deer (20 mi)
Refer a guest to our cottage and receive $50 off your next rental!
Rates are subject to change until reservations deposit is received and confirmed.
Payment methods: Chase Quick Pay, Cashiers Check or Personal Check (allow 10 days to clear) are accepted forms of payment. All methods require a deposit/cleaning fee of $75.00.
Check in: 3:00 p.m.
Check out: 11:00 a.m.
Cancellations are refundable 100% if within 30 days of arrival date, after 30 days they are non-refundable.
Please contact me for flexibility in rental dates if needed.