|Minimum Stay||2 - 4 nights|
June 2016- New paint, carpet and sheets make the cabin even more cozy!
Our small cabin is the perfect location for a family getaway or adult retreat. We are not one of the units in a large complex, but a small single dwelling in a cul-de-sac of 3 homes. Our cabin backs to a green belt with access to Tahoe Donner hiking, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing trails. It is a short walk to the bus that takes you to the Tahoe Donner ski hill, the perfect spot for families with children learning to ski.
Worldclass mountain biking and skiing is just a short 20-30 minute drive to Northstar, Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, and Sugar Bowl resorts.
Home includes a bedroom with a double bed with a twin bunk downstairs, and living area with a double bed futon and cubby with a twin bed upstairs. Sheets and towels are provided and the kitchen is well stocked. The stairs can be gated for small children and there are toys for up to about age 8, push toys, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, sand toys for the beach, jogging stroller, baby backpack carrier, and more.
The cabin has WiFi and good cell coverage. Our cabin does have a TV with built in DVD/CD player, but we do not have cable- don't worry, there is so much to do you won't want to be inside watching a lot of television!
For hotel prices you get the seclusion of a single dwelling home backing a green belt and a short drive to access many great amenities. Please note that we encourage self-cleaning which makes the cabin even more affordable! If you prefer to not follow our cleaning instructions there will be a $50 fee deducted from the security deposit.
Our family of 4 has spent many weekends and summers enjoying the cabin!
Melissa Hodous purchased this cabin in 2006
This is a unique place in Tahoe Donner as it is the perfect size for a couple or family to spend a vacation, especially in a place so beautiful as Tahoe where you spend your days outside. The location makes it possible to relax with the family without ever leaving the property, but you could spend many weeks exploring the beauty of Tahoe.
It is hard to find a small, single family dwelling with a garage (access may be restricted in summer). You never know when snow will come down by the foot in Truckee, so a garage can be a great convenience.
Most Tahoe rental properties charge a cleaning fee, usually over $100. We encourage our guests to self-clean at no charge. Instructions are provided and can typically be done in less than 2 hours for one person. If you prefer, you can pay $75 and the owner will provide cleaning.
Our fifth year at the Hodous Hideway presented us with snow accumulation unseen since 2011, 100 inches reported in some locations. The xcountry conditions (snow quality, terrain etc...) were some of the best we've ever experienced at Tahoe Donner. The cozy cabin is a perfect retreat for our little family, giving us access to everything we love to do right outside our door. Melissa, the owner, is so incredibly nice and helpful with everything.
Overall had a great experience staying at this home. Everything was clean and working properly, and the layout of the home was very cozy and comfortable. The home slept 4 people comfortably and was a good value. I also liked how we were given the option to self-clean rather than pay an additional cleaning fee. I would highly recommend staying here, and I hope to be back again.
This is my 2nd time here. I made sure I booked my stay 3 months early. The place is small and cozy. Perfect for couples and small groups. It has everything you need. Fully furnished. The backyard is the whole mountain. So much room to play and build snowmen. The price is also very reasonable for Truckee. I totally recommend this place. Plan to come next year!
My girlfriend, me, and a few friends were visiting Tahoe for a Spartan Race in Squaw Valley. We weren't planning on spending too much time in the cabin, so we were looking for something reasonably priced and close to the resort. This place met all of our needs. It was small (which we expected), but very clean and cozy. The washing machine and dryer were an added bonus for doing some quick laundry after getting sweaty on the slopes. I would definitely stay here again if I was running another race or for a weekend snowboard trip to Squaw.
A real nice cabin that was very clean and in a nice quiet neighborhood. The only thing would be nice would be to have some kind of local TV just to know what's going on in the area, but we really didn't miss having a tv . We would rent there again for sure .
We really enjoyed our stay in the Hodeous Hideaway. It is a perfect sized cabin for a couple and a young child, or maybe a few young children. The house was equipped with everything we needed to have a comfortable stay. It's a charming cabin that's in great condition on a beautiful street. We enjoyed walks around the beautiful neighborhood. My only negative feedback would be the confusion with what amenities are included and their location to the cabin- it took us a day to figure out our bearings and what was included. Also, not the owners fault, but many of the amenities that were supposed to be included were closed for renovation (September seems to be the month where Truckee starts construction) including the pool, saunas, hot tub etc at the rec center. Otherwise, we greatly enjoyed all that beautiful Lake Tahoe and donner lake had to offer and spent most of our trip outdoors enjoying the beauty and enjoyed the cabin as well.
Top Thing to do in City:
* Skiing at Northstar at Tahoe- our favorite resort.
* Cross Country Skiing at Tahoe Donner- lots of trails!.
* Blue Coyote Bar & Grill- our favorite restaurant w/ or w/o kids.
* Anusara Yoga class taught by Nancy at the Rec Center.
* Breakfast at Donner Lake Kitchen.
Top Thing to do in Budget:
* Ice Skating at Northstar at Tahoe (free skating, skates only $5).
* Wednesday free concerts at the Regional Park (seasonal).
* Free Family Movie night at Tahoe Donner Clubhouse.
* Free Family Wii night at Tahoe Donner Clubhouse.
* Free Bingo night at Tahoe Donner Clubhouse (seasonal).
Top Thing to do in Family:
* Tahoe Donner Ski Hill- great place for kids to learn to ski!.
* Tahoe Donner Sledding Hill- tubing too!.
* Hike to the chair lift swing in the meadow behind the cabin..
* Build your own sledding hill behind the cabin..
* Ice skating at Northstar at Tahoe.
There is so much to do in Tahoe Donner, Truckee, and around Lake Tahoe.
* Tahoe Donner Marina- owner rents stand up paddle board on Donner Lake for $20 per day.
* Cross-country skiing – you can actually ski off our patio to access many trails within the community (trail maps located at Tahoe Donner website). You must ski to the Cross Country Ski Resort to get a day pass. There are also cross-country trails at Northstar, Boreal and Squaw.
* Sledding – there are plenty of small hills behind our house and a sled in the garage that you may use. The Tahoe Donner driving range sponsors sledding, usually only on the weekends and holidays for a very reasonable rate with our guest cards (more info at the Tahoe Donner website). Don’t bring a sled to the hill as they require you to use the ones they provide- they even added tubing! It is well organized and a lot of fun!
* Trout Creek Recreation Center – Trout Creek Recreation Center has a state of the art weight room, cardio room, fitness classroom, recreation pool, an adult lap pool, massage treatment, steam room, sauna, and hot tubs. Facility may be used with our guest cards (more info at the Tahoe Donner website) for a fee.
* Free Family Movie Night – Friday nights at Northwoods Clubhouse, check the Tahoe Donner website calendar to see what will be showing.
* Tubing – Tubing at Northstar paid by the hour.
* Ice skating – there are rinks in downtown Truckee, Northstar and Squaw Valley. We usually go to Northstar- it is free if you have skates and only $5 to rent skates.
* KidZone Museum – Children’s Museum, fun indoor play for small children. Conveniently located at the bottom of the Tahoe Donner hill behind the fire department. Child admission is $7, adults $5 or purchase a weekly pass for up to family of 8 for just $25. If you have a reciprocal pass to another children’s museum it is also valid at KidZone.
* Hike out your door – there are many hiking trails right behind the cabin.
* Circus Circus – Just 40 minutes away in Reno, great area for kids to play games and see free circus acts.
Truckee is a beautiful mountain town full of outdoor activities and downtown character. Check out worldclass ski resorts like Northstar, Squaw Valley, Alpine meadows and Sugar Bowl, only 20-30 minutes away. Then head downtown and enjoy a gourmet dinner.
And if that isn't enough, you are a short drive to all that Lake Tahoe and Reno have to offer.
|Refundable damage deposit||$300|
$50 fee is charged for all checks returned for NSF. Cancellation must be in writing more than 30 days prior to your check in date for a full refund. Cancellations between 7 and 30 days prior to your check in date, tenant will forfeit 25% of total rent quoted plus tax. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to your check in date, tenant will forfeit all sums paid less the security deposit.