About the property
- House1280 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay5 - 7 nights
A quick drive/trail-walk to Mackinaw City restaurants, shops, & the ferries
3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 story, 1280 sq ft family home available for quiet getaways. Open kitchen-dining-living space with lake view, and doorwall to large deck. Dishwasher, washer-dryer, WIFI, and cable TV w/HD. Professionally-cleaned, smoke-free home. Comfortable for 6 people, cozy for 2.
• "Thanks so much! Love this place! See ya next year!" (PA family, April 2018)
• "You make us feel like we are in a bed & breakfast, but better! ... We have such a great time here, we can't put it into words, other than THANK YOU!" (MI family, July 2017)
• "We had the most delightful time this past week. Thanks again to you and Mike for your hospitality and for the perfect place to be!" (MI couple, June 2017)
• "We have been coming to Michigan for the past four years, and this place was the nicest. I would love to come back. I love it here." (OH friends, September 2016)
• "Thank you for another wonderful family vacation ... we love and appreciate your cottage." (MI family, August 2016)
• "Thank you for the best week ever at your wonderful home ... everything was perfect ... gorgeous sunrises too." (MI couple, June 2016)
• "What a wonderful anniversary we've had! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful home with us." (MI couple, October 2015)
• "Everything is great. We walked to Mackinaw City yesterday and toured the fort and walked back and grilled some dinner. The cottage is very nice and very clean ... I can see why this is a special place for you." (MI family, July 2015)
• "We had a wonderful week, enjoying the beauty and peace. Every year, it's harder to leave!" (MI couple, June 2015)
• "Thank you for having us in your warm and cozy cabin. We had everything we needed, very well equipped. We're hoping to come back next year." (WA family, May 2015)
• "Thank you again for sharing your house -- it was perfect for us!" (IN friends, February 2015)
• "So comfortable and relaxing. We enjoyed sitting on the swing, watching the birds and the lake. The sunrises were amazing! We look forward to coming back." (MI family, August 2014)
• "We enjoyed shopping, sightseeing, and great restaurants, but the best part was our time at this beautiful, clean house." (Istanbul, Turkey family, July 2014)
• "I loved sitting on the deck in my bathrobe in the cool, clear morning, sipping my coffee, watching the boats go by ..." (MI couple, October 2013)
• "We had a wonderful time and appreciated all the nice little touches to your home. We could not have asked for anything more! This allowed for some much-needed family 'bonding' time. Thanks for your generosity -- great memories were made here!" (MI family, August 2013)
• "Slept wonderfully. Woke up to a beautiful view this morning!! The house is absolutely perfect." (WI family, July 2013)
• "We enjoyed walking the trail, a nightly campfire, and the cozy feeling of a family home. Thank you so much for thinking of every contingency in preparing for guests." (IL family, June 2013)
• "We were very comfortable in your home in the woods, very peaceful and quiet ... it's been a pleasure to be your guests." (PA & IL sisters, September 2012)
• "We had a wonderful time and thank you for such a warm and comfortable setting." (MI & IA family, July 2012)
• "Thanks again ... the kids have already asked about 100 times if we can go back again next year!" (IN family, July 2011)
• "We couldn't have picked a better place to call 'home' for the week." (MI friends, August 2011)
• "Thank you so much, a wonderful blessing ... we had a very good time." (IN family, July 2011)
• "The house was wonderful, and we will definitely recommend to family and friends." (OH couple, September 2010)
• "Thank you for sharing your home with us -- we really enjoyed being on the water -- it's so peaceful. You have a wonderful spot." (OH family, July 2010)
• "I came up with my mother, daughters, and nieces for a 'ladies vacation' and we've had a BLAST! This house was great, very comfortable and convenient to all the attractions. Great view also! Very courteous, generous owners, too." (OH family, July 2010)
• "We appreciate how easy you made everything." (MO family, July 2010)
• "Just checking in to see if it is still okay for us to stay longer. We are having a great time. The house is perfect!" (MI family, September 2009)
• "The weekend turned out so nice, I am so glad we found you!" (WI & MI friends, August 2009 & August 2010)
• "We walked the trail, zipped the line, cooked s'mores in the fire pit, took naps and read books. How relaxing our vacation was!" (MI family, August 2009)
• "It was everything I love about the big lakes, and cottages ... it is totally charming, lovely, and welcoming ... what a warm, inviting place to relax and refresh." (MI family, August 2009)
Relax on the deck/balcony with your morning coffee and watch the sun rise over the lake. Walk along the bay with the shorebirds. Enjoy a nighttime fire at our fire pit, and the lights of the Grand Hotel across the lake. Just a 3-minute drive to Mackinaw City and ferries to Mackinac Island -- or, stroll across to the North Central rails-to-trail path: turn right to walk/bike the few miles into town, or turn left to go many trail-miles downstate! Explore Mackinac Island; area lighthouses and the Headlands International Dark Sky Park; the U.P's Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, and Soo Locks; and nearby Mill Creek Discovery Park, with its nature trails, climbing wall and zip line.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one hour
- Calendar last updated:
- May 24, 2018
About Mackinaw House
This is our beloved family cottage, and not a "rental property." We share this special place with a small number of nice families/friends each year. Managed and cared-for by us, Mike and Amy
Canceled bookings will not receive a refund
What they said!!
If you read all of the other 5 star reviews here, our family would agree with them wholeheartedly. I would say exactly the same things and use this valuable space to repeat what others have said. But instead of being redundant, I want to tell you about how when your sitting on the beach at night, the twinkling lights on Mackinaw Island look like a string of diamonds. Or, how there is a flock of seagulls that hang out in the little cove next door and they will come and spend time with you if you bring some bread. There is a little dish on the deck and if you sit quietly, songbirds will come for a drink or to take a bath. If you're on the upstairs balcony, you don't see anything but trees, water and the sky. It's a great place for a cup of coffee and a good book. The house is stocked with the million little things that you might need but not think of bringing. It's all waiting exactly where you would have it at home - just open the cupboard door and there it is! Two adjectives that sum up the overall feeling of the space are quiet and cozy. You're just far enough from town to be "away" but close enough to benefit from every convenience. I could go on but I know that you get the idea. If you are looking for a special place to spend some time - book this now!
Great Family Vacation
We had a great time in Mackinaw City. Mike and Amy were awesome to work with and went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and relaxing. I rent frequently for vacations through VRBO and have never had an owner give so much attention to their renters! They were truly hospitable hosts! The accommodations were perfect for our family of 6 and we enjoyed being able to have home cooked meals in the evenings as we played games and just hung out after exploring all day.
this house is in one of the great locations on Huron Lake. there is a short beach, and at least a hundred yards of shallow water in front. Ideal for families with kids. House has everything you need and bonuses like table tennis, and telescope to see Mackinac Island. Hosts are wonderful, and responsive. House is also very clean.
Exceptional Lakeside Experience
Mackinaw City House allowed two old friends to have a truly wonderful vacation experience. Just minutes from the fun and bustling downtown area, Mike & Amy's warm and welcoming home sits on a quiet, wooded lot with Lake Huron just yards from the back deck and a lovely view of Mackinaw Island across the straits. It was very relaxing to build a fire in the beach fire pit and watch the huge freighters passing up and down the Straits. Our hosts provided every possible comfort and even a few special treats to make us feel at home. Moreover, Amy was very accessible and graciously answered any questions we had as well as providing tips about both the house and the surrounding area. The Mackinaw Straits has many different attractions for all types of vacationers, and Amy & Mike's thoughtfulness guaranteed a carefree vacation.
You are delightful, K and L, and our door is always open for you!
Away from it all - but close to everything!
We have stayed at Mackinaw House four years in a row now! Amy & Mike's home is always immaculate and they make you feel right at home. Any question you may have can be answered by one of their well placed sticky notes. If not, they are a call away. The home has a great deck and log swing to watch the sun come up, or the ferries going to Mackinac Island. I even loaded an app on my phone to see what Great Lakes Freighter's were sailing by the house.
The location is perfect to launch day trips to Petosky, Harbor Springs, or Whitefish Point (don't forget the Island). I'm a cyclist, so I love the Rails-to-Trails path right across the road. Mac City and the ferries are just 3 miles away. There is also a paved path from Mac City to Petosky, which winds through beautiful wooded areas.
I'm looking forward to my next retreat at Mackinaw House!
We're so honored to have you as regular friend-guests -- thank you!
Mackinac Lake House
One of our best vacations ever! The house was fabulous, very well furnished, with a great view. Mike and Amy were most accommodating, and very nice to deal with. We were treated like guests, not renters. Such a good feeling, very restful, and close to attractions. I highly recommend it. I was encouraged to call with any questions or problems, unlike most places I've rented. I took advantage of this, and called more than once for directions, good paces to eat etc.
So happy to share our home with such a nice family! You are always welcome.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
• Flexible with arrival and departure days/times whenever possible • Damage deposit is refunded in full, provided no damage, no loss, and no mess • Stays longer than 7 nights may be available -- please inquire