|Space||850 sq. ft.|
|Minimum Stay||7 nights|
~~ Lakeside Getaway Features Cozy Lake-Front Cottage and Sunrise Views ~~
~~ Fishing, boating, swimming, plus Mackinaw Island ferries just a short drive away ~~
Our Lakeside Getaway sits directly on the western shore of beautiful Black Lake, a 3x6 mile, all-sports lake only minutes away from Cheboygan, Mackinac City, and other Great Lake destinations like Mackinac Island, Petoskey and Harbor Springs. Bright and cheery both inside and out, you can watch the sunrise over Black Mountain Recreation Area just across the lake.
Bring your boat and tie up at our 50-foot dock, or swim from the shoreline or dock (water's warm, and lake bottom is sandy). Just toss in a line to catch small perch, bass or bluegill. Jet-skis and other water toys can be rented also with off-lake vendors.
If you are looking for bigger sport fish such as walleye, pike, small mouth bass or muskie, try your luck out in the lake's deeper parts. Black Lake is known for its fishing. Right off our shoreline, about 200 yards where the drop off begins, is one of the best places to catch perch, walleye and pike. We have had many fish-fries ourselves.
You'll love to relax around our lakeside fire pit in the evenings and roast marshmallows to make s'mores, then watch the moon rise over the lake.
The cottage features two bedrooms, one with comfy queen-sized bed, and the guest room has twin beds with walk-in closet.
Full kitchen with all your cooking needs from plates and silverware to pots, pans, and wine opener. Toaster, toaster oven, microwave, tea kettle, coffee maker. Living room has two sofas, and new TV with DVD player and movies for your enjoyment. If you need to check email or have a smartphone, Wi-Fi is available as well.
We are snowbirds, but I grew up in Michigan, and moved to Florida after college. Buying this cottage in 2005 was a way to get back to our roots. My husband, originally from Connecticut, has become an adopted Michigander.
Lisa Rappa purchased this cottage in 2005
We loved the area, the fishing, Michigan's up north and the vast areas of undeveloped wilderness. The friendliness of the people in Onaway and the Tip of the Mitt was just an added bonus.
We loved the coziness of our cottage, and being directly on the lake. The sunrises are spectacular too. The master bedroom and bath were re-done by previous owner, adding a laundry room too. It's perfect for having our many friends from downstate stay with us. We've enjoyed many bonfires, biking trips on the nearby trails, and BBQ's in the yard as well.
We always look forward to getting back up north every spring and summer.
"Dealing with Lisa was easy and pleasant. She gave good directions to the place and we had no trouble finding it. The cottage was clean, neat and comfortable, with all the amenities and a bonfire pit. It is situated right on a large, calm lake, perfect for swimming. There were a few boats on the lake, but not a lot, and so there wasn't a lot of boat noise. We also had ideal weather, which further enhanced our enjoyment of the place. We drove into town a couple of times for groceries and supplies, but mostly enjoyed the quiet, read, swam and watched a couple of DVDs. There was some firewood there, and a place nearby where we picked up some more, so we could have a fire every night. I wish I could show you the beauty of the surroundings and the different moods of the water by posting pictures. There is only one thing I don't like about this place; I plan to go back this year and I don't want this review to make it so popular I can't afford it, or can't reserve it when I want to!"
We went for a girls only get-away and it was perfect. Plenty of room for 6 women with all the amenities of home. It has a screened in porch where we could sit and play games when it rained one night. The other nights were spent in front of the campfire looking out at the lake talking and drinking wine-the best!
Our family has been visiting Black Lake for several years. I think this was our fourth year at the Lakeside Getaway. The owner is very nice and easy to work with. I have no complaints about the cottage, it is wonderful. It is very nice inside and out. It is refreshing to wake up, walk out the back door, and look at lake every morning. This year we went to St Ignace (in the UP), Mackinac City, and Cheboygan. We rented a pontoon boat for a couple of days and fished and swam on the lake. The children went to Burt Lake and rented a jet ski for a day. We love to visit Black Lake and we love the Lakeside Getaway. We will rent it again and would recommend it to our family and friends. Thank you. Mike and Paula
Very nice place, great view of the lake. We had our grandkids and they were able to swim without worry. It was shallow with no drop offs. The one big concern was we have a 17' boat, there wasn't a lot of room to park it, or the trailor.
We were extremely pleased with this rental experience. Everything was clean, neat, and exactly as described--casual and comfy. The cottage easily accommodated our three grandsons and us--and provided the comforts of home. The boys had fun fishing on Black Lake, building fires in the firepit for S'mores, and exploring. Since this part of Michigan was new to us, tips by the owners were extremely helpful in guiding us to the local sites. Mackinac Island was an easy drive and absolutely stunning. We also enjoyed day trips to Petoskey, Ocqueoc Falls (beautiful spot for fun on a hot day), the nearby sturgeon hatchery, Cross in the Woods, Onaway State Park ( abundant source of Petoskey stones), and lots more. Based on our experience, we would definitely recommend this cottage.
This is a great lake cottage. It is a good location. Easy to find on land and water. There is plenty of room, for boats and cars. The layout inside is good. It is spotlessly clean. Good trip for boating, skiing, fishing. There is a good variety of restaurants locally. Really relaxing time. A nice famity vacation.
This is a great lakeside cottage. Right on the lake, good location. It has a good layout, is spotlessly clean. There are good restaurants nearby. Very relaxing. Perfect for a family getaway. Fishing, boating, sking.
Top Thing to do in City:
* Fish for sport fish or whatever's biting.
* Take a water tour around the lake.
* Sturgeon hatchery is at Keebler dam. Full of young sturgeon..
* Take in the sun on the shore & or ATV on all the nearby trails.
* Keep an eye on wildlife: deer, eagles, mink, hummers & orioles.
Top Thing to do in Budget:
* Hike in Black Mountain Recreation area.
* Go on a Petoskey stone hunt in Onaway State Park.
* Tube or swim down Ocqueoc Falls, only 20 mins away.
* Explore the woods for wildflowers & berries.
* Take a trip to the sturgeon rearing facility near town of Tower.
Top Thing to do in Family:
* Swim in the sandy bottom lake - jump off the dock.
* Fish off the dock or hunt for crayfish under rocks.
* Have a bonfire on the shore - make s'mores.
* Fire up the grill for breakfast - or dinner later on.
* Let the kids stay up late - sunset is at 9:30 in summer.
You'll be sure to enjoy the many activities on Black Lake, which include:
* Boating of all kinds, including kayaking and canoeing.
* Swimming - shallow at shore and sandy too
* ORV/ ATV riding - trails are only a mile away from cottage
* Deer, otter, eagles, ducks, loons, swan viewing
* See the sturgeon hatchery with live yearlings in Tower (Keebler Dam)
* Golfing - courses near the lake or in town
* BBQing (charcoal grill included)
* Hiking - plenty of trails around the lake
* Wildflower sighting, berry picking
* Bike riding
* Antiquing & shopping in Cheboygan, Mackinaw City, Harbor Springs, Petoskey
* Dining - plenty of local restaurants with variety of menus
* Movies - in nearby Cheboygan, or plenty of DVDs at the cottage.
* Onaway and Aloha State Parks are just minutes away.
* Ocqueoc Falls - open in summer for swimming, tubing and waterplay
* Casinos are located in Petoskey and St. Ignace
* Lorenzo's, the local restaurant up the road, is family run and operated, and has eat-in or take-out dining which includes delicious pizza. Plus, there are loads of other restaurants around the lake and in nearby Onaway or Cheboygan. Fresh perch is on on the menu in many of them
* Golf enthusiast? You'll find many public golf courses nearby, including the famous course at Black Lake Golf Club, only 3 miles south.
* Into Off-Road riding or ATV-ing? DNR courses and trails that are marked and mapped are abundant on N. Black River Rd and at Black Mountain Recreation area on the northeast side of lake.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
|Refundable damage deposit||$200|
Weekly Rate = $900
TERMS: Summer rental fee (Sat. 4 pm to Sat. 11 am) from June thru Sept, $900 per week, plus $200 security deposit (refundable). We are sorry, but during peak summer months, we do not rent cottage for less than a week. I will accept checks by mail too, which saves online fee that is quote on website (approx $86).