A gem of a property in the heart of the Burgundy wine region, Le Domaine sits among the vines in a peaceful vale to the south of Beaune. Dating from the late 1600s, the locals call it the ‘chateau’, but the property has always been more of a baronial farm than a residence. It was, in fact, the winery for the local lords, as the surrounding vineyards, an antique wine press and a hundred feet of vaulted cellar attest.
The property has been recently transformed into a luxury farmhouse complex dedicated to the enjoyment of the culinary traditions and the natural beauty of Burgundy. With six luxurious en-suite rooms in separate buildings set around a courtyard within the acres of a walled-in park, the Domaine offers modern comfort and quiet sophistication in a setting from another era.
The Dining Hall is a magnificent room laid out around an original 18th century wine press, with an open fire, flag-stone floor massive oak beams, a lounge area and bar, and a monumental staircase that floats through the space above.
The Salon has parquet floors and oak-beamed 'plafond a la française'. An open fire with the original fire-back dating from 1716 is the focal point of the room, and a restored Pleyel baby grand is the center of attention. Seating for 12 comfortably.
The open-plan semi-professional kitchen is in the center of household activity. Sliding metal 'atelier' doors allow the kitchen to be versatile, open or closed as needs be. Three ovens, eight burner on two tops, three refrigerators, two work islands and lots of storage make this an ideal work space for those interested in the culinary pleasures of Burgundy. An herb garden is just out the door in the courtyard. A separate bread house serves as a summer kitchen, with wood-fired oven, fridge, plancha and prep and clean-up surfaces.
The heated pool sits below the main terrace with a magnificent view across the park and down through the valley. There are four furnished terraces around the main manor house, so there is sun or shade at any time of day.
The walled in park below the manor house is an arboretum set in five acres, with specimen trees dating back through the history of the property. The majestic cedar that dominates the lower park and is visible from miles around, is said to date to 1802, planted to commemorate the crowning of Napoleon.
A hundred feet of vaulted wine cellar is a reminder of the importance of the Domaine as a wine-making property. There are seven acres of new vineyard plantation under way above the compound that will revive the old traditions.
Professional laundry facilities are available for guest use.
2 hours per day of housekeeping is included in the rental.