About the property
- House1022 sq. ft.
- Half Baths1
- Mininum Stay1 - 7 nights
Spacious contemporary architecture, green scenery, private swimming pool
Between Provence, Camargue and Cévennes, this is the place where the sun shines! Located in the heart of the guarrigue that deliciously smell thyme and rosemary, come to relax and enjoy the volumes of a spacious and bright home, surrounded by a large flowered garden and natural wooden areas. On a plot of more than 6000 sq.m, 4000 sq.m around the house are fenced. A private fenced parking is at your disposal.
From June to September, the swimming pool, just for your use, will allow you to relax and refresh you. In your kitchen, we offer you all the necessary ingredients to cook sauces, grilled meals, and French dressings: oil from our olive trees, different fine vinegars, Provencal herbs... You are in the countryside but all the shopping facilities and services are very nearby (between 1 km in the village, and more than 4 km).
Cabrieres, in Gard, enjoys a favoured location:
- You will find plenty of paths to walk or to hike, by foot, cycling or by horse. Our garrigue is a very rich environment for its fauna and flora, with an interesting rural heritage: our clocháns, dry stone constructions. Gorges of Gardon are accessible by road, 7 km away: Collias, upriver from Pont du Gard Aqueduct Bridge, attracts fans of swim, canoes and especially rock climbing. Hiking or mountain bike, even from Cabrieres, give you access to wild parts of these gorges: as La Baume close to Poulx, where was rolled a part of The Wages of Fear movie, in particular the final scene with the fall of the truck... or Le Castellas, of which cliffs overlook the twists and turns of the river...
- the jewel of these gorges is the majestic Pont du Gard Aqueduct Bridge, that cheerfully steps across Gardon river, from the top of its 48m and its 3 floors archways. Built almost 2000 years ago by Romans to bring water to Nimes (Némausus) and deserted at the VI century, this aqueduct-bridge miraculously has been spared by time and wars.
You can tour around:
- to the east, Rhone river, where flows into Gardon river, is the natural border between Languedoc and Provence: communication way taken since time immemorial, and Arles is built on its banks, real transit harbour for Roman boats, abundant in remains: after a Cesar's chest, a 31m long Roman barge dating back from 50/60 years before J.C., perfectly preserved, have been recently removed from the deep of the river and are exposed to Antique Museum: it is unique! ... Arles is also a new city, with a noteworthy museum and a festival receiving every year the most famous people of the photography. Few ten kilometres upriver, visit Avignon, with its battlements and Pope Palace and, in July, its famous theatre festival.
- Then, the landscapes of Provence and Alpilles, steeped in a mythical light, wiped out by the rushing Mistral. So well represented by Van Gogh, they have pretty small cities such as Les Baux, St Rémy, etc
- To the South: the wild Camargue will show its true colours (maybe?) to you. Moreover its very rich fauna and flora, you will be able to discover its passionate tradition of horses and bull farming. Here, we remove monuments to glorify them. Will you try bullfighting games and the race from the Camargue? you will wander in the alleyways of the fortified city of Aigues-Mortes while snacking its famous type of flat bread, then you will walk on the bustling wharfs of the typical fishing harbour of Grau du Roi, which offers to visit the aquarium. Nearby you will find the new city of La Grande-Motte, famous for its architecture. Finally, you will enjoy the nice sandy beaches: Espiguette, fiefdom of naturists, Saintes-Maries, fishermen's village, which in May caters the big gypsy pilgrimage with a lot of guitars and flamenco attractions,
- to the West: a few minutes away from Cabrieres, you will find Nimes the Roman city (Némausus), and ideally located in the Via Domitia who crosses it to link Roma to Spain. Augustus made it at the 2nd century the window of the Roman influence in Gaul. It will be covered with monuments: the bull ring, the amphitheatre for 25 000 people, better preserved of all the Roman world, temples of Maison Carrée, of Diane, the Porte Auguste... Nimes, rich of its past, also knows to live in the actual time: the modern Nimes is proud of the achievements signed by famous architects and designers: its Carré d'Art museum designed by Norman Foster, Nemausus building from Nouvel, mausoleum from Starck, interior fittings from Wilmotte.
Established in its history, the Pentecost Feria in Nîmes attracts the aficionados.
Via Domitia, towards Montpellier, passes through the oppidum of Ambrussum, close to Lunel. The convoys of trolleys of Roman Army, the merchants crews have trampled its cobblestones. The mark of their passing can be seen in the ruts shaped in the stone.
More to the west, about 50 km away, visit Montpellier, energetic city of Languedoc: old university city with the oldest Medicine faculty of France, dating back from 14th century, with its botanical gardens, and also actual city. We discover that the concrete can be great, when it's signed up by Ricardo Bofill, in Antigone area entirely created in the 80's, just a few metres away from the heart of the city, where classicism goes with modernity.
- at the North of Cabrières: beyond Collias and Gardon river, it's Uzege region: Uzes, first French duchy saved from the deterioration by Malraux, its private mansions and archways square. Its picturesque market on Saturday is very sought after. The candy museum created by Haribo, on the place of a very old liquorize shop, attracts all the gourmand people, child and adults!
Discover the medieval village of Castillon, one of the most preserved in the region, with its cobbled streets, its guard tower and its gargoyles. Furthermore to the east, visit Larroque-sur-Cèze, a real jewel with, on its foots, the imposing cooks of Jupiter carved in the rock by Ceze river. Not far, there is the village of Goudargues, also called the Venice of Languedoc, where the foliage lining the canals will refresh you.
Do you wish a perched village? Going towards Lussan: a real nest for eagles on its peak with its battlement, its houses with balcony where we raised before silk farms. You are just a few metres away from the nearest mountain: the Mont Bouquet that culminates to 631m and offers on its top a 360 degree panorama, from Alps to Cevennes.
The Cevennes region, about fifty km to the north of Cabrieres, offers a very wooden, green and fresh steep landscape: the Mont Aigoual, its moutaintop, 1 700m, can make a great hiking: the famous '4000 steps hiking'. At the foothills, the pretty small town of Anduze and its famous bamboo garden in Prafrance where you will have the feeling to be in Indonesia.
Suzanne and Michel Reolon
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one hour
- english, french
- Calendar last updated:
- Feb 14, 2018
Pool / Spa
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Perfect holiday home
This villa is fantastic! We stayed mid September as a young couple with our dog. The house looks exactly as it does in the pictures, the entire garden is completely fenced which is great. The house is very well equipped and I really couldn't fault anything. We've stayed at many villas but this is the first we will return to, we already requested a booking for next year.
The loacation is very central to visit other towns, it's also close enough to a main road for convenience but you don't hear traffic and the view is outstanding.
The hosts are very kind, they brought us some fresh figs and even fig jam! Any small issue we had they saw to it immediately but certainly leave you in peace to enjoy your stay.
I really recommend this place to anyone!
Thanks for a great stay
Sharon & Michael Baeck
Beautiful quite location
This is a lovely holiday destination,quiet,peacefull with shops not to far away for essentials.
Ideal base for visting Avigon, Nimes, Pont du Gard and local markets at Uzes.
The property is spacious clean with everything you need for a perfect holiday.
Large fenced garden ideal, as we take our dog. with a lovely private pool.
Suzanne and Michel are very freindly and helpfull.
We have stayed here twice now and have booked for next year. We would recommend this villa without hesitation for its quite and peacefull location over looking the countryside.
We travelled with two young children from Australia and the cottage was very comfortable. The cottage was all that it was advertised as. It was well maintained and clean and had all the necessary facilities. The kitchen is well equipped and there was also laundry facilities which are appreciated when travelling with children. Providing the children are okay with stairs as ours are (the bedrooms are upstairs) it is ideal for a family of four.
It is located in a peaceful rural area with fantastic views across the local fields. The cottage is convenient to Nimes, Pont du Gard and a great many other locations in the region. The owners are very friendly, helpful and had many great suggestions for activities and local markets. I would recommend this property to couples or a family of four.
Merci Suzanne et Michel pour votre accueil chaleureux et cordial.
Nous avons passé un excellent séjour sur une propriété magnifique et dans une maison confortable et impeccable.
Michel venait régulièrement pour l'entretien de la piscine et du jardin ce qui nous a permis d'échanger et d'obtenir des conseils pour visiter la région.
Merci pour vos petites attentions. Nous gardons que de bons souvenirs de notre séjour à Cabrière.
Carole et François
Nous venons de passer 2 semaines dans un cadre merveilleux et dans une demeure très bien aménagée.
Les propriétaires sont plus que gentils et accueillants.
Merci à eux pour leur accueil.
Depuis ce village vous avez accès à beaucoup de sites touristiques en +/- 1 heure.
Magnifique Semaine au Mazet Rouge
Tout a commencé par un chaleureux accueil de la famille Reolon.
La piscine et le jardin sont très bien entretenus.
L'environnement est propice au calme et au repos au vu de sa situation.
La maison est très bien équipée et il y a beaucoup d'information pour visiter la région (même si j'avais une préférence pour demander aux propriétaires le matin lors de l'entretien de la piscine ou par email)
Nous reviendrons surement dans votre maison si nous retournons dans la région (Prochaine étape, la Corse).
La famille Mathot - Cornet
Exactly under the sun! This is not a tell story but the exactly true: in France. This is the place where the sun shines more! We took so much pleasure to lay out our house. The noble materials: wood, stone, granite, sisal, and 'real' green plants have a great importance. The large living room with inclined ceiling, equipped with a ceiling fan, offers a large bright volume and a convivial living area. The sofa, very comfortable, can become a perfect 160x200 cm sleeping, with latex mattress on slatted frame. The generous granite coffee table can cater maps and fold up documents, but also a traditional apero! The evening will be a music one? TV? Hard working? The choice is yours. Enjoy the CD-Player, Hi-Fi, LED TV (102cm flat screen) with satellite, DVD player, bookcase, etc. You will find all you need to be happy, like Books, leaflets, hiking guides, and maps. You will know everything about the region and will allow you to schedule your days. From June to September, our swimming pool (6x4x1.40 m, flat-bottom, with all wide Roman steps) will allow you to relax and refresh you. We care about the maintenance. We equip it, according to the risks, with a security fence and alarm. This does not exclude, of course, the parents' vigilance! On the beach, well accommodated in your beach chairs , you will laze about under the sun! However, you could prefer doze in a deck chair, lulled by the sound of cicadas: the nap, here, is all an art! After an entire day of visits, walks swim, or simply a resting day, it is so nice to be with the family or with friend around a BBQ, with thyme and wild rosemary picked close by: you will savour the delicious local and sea products. You will enjoy fruits and vegetables saturated with sun, goat cheese, garlic, onions, etc. Of course, you will be able to taste the olives, with Midi wines, as the famous rosés of Tavel or Bourdic, produced in Gard, few kilometres away. We privilege the green and wooden setting of our house. The plot offers several areas: - An olive grown, that allows us to produce our own olive oil - A small holm oak forest, still natural, where grow shrubs of our scrubland - An ornamental garden, more elaborated, where are chosen Mediterranean plants - A small exotic garden along the dry stone wall ('à la cale' as we say in French), wall as reference to our clocháns, our cultural heritage to discover! - The grove and the vegetable garden are for our use, and we will have the pleasure to let you taste our fruits and vegetables according to the seasons. The construction is just by our former sculpture workshop: we are now pensioner and so it's now not in activity. But if you are interested in the stone labour, we can restart it and talk to you about this regional traditional activity that has been done fror centuries. The freestone, the natural stone removed from the agricultural plots called dry stones, were always used for construction and give colours to our villages and to the centres of our towns. Our region is deeply marked by our Roman past: prestigious monuments are the proof, but also more discreet remains. Moreover, in all modesty, at the same place where our rental house is located , there was a Welsh Roman home, after which the place was named: tile and piece of pottery smithereens prove it: the word 'cazaux' comes from the old Provencal 'cazal', that comes from Latin 'casa' which the meaning is: rural house or estate. Here, you can satisfy your desire for culture, history, archaeology, botany, graphic arts or for photo... you have also the option of lazing: Viva idleness! You are on vacation! Let yourselves be carried away by the gentle pleasures of life! But you can also surpass yourself: hiking, mountain bike or bicycle, fish, paddle in your kayak, climb, etc. You want to have fun activities? You will find several leisure parks, like the water park of La Bouscarasse will satisfy kids and adults. And to have fun: festivals, shows, concerts, traditional festivities, activities are scheduled.
Additional information about rental rates
Ménage de fin de séjour inclus Sont inclus : eau, électricité, gaz, TV Satellite, Accès Internet, tout le linge de maison : draps, serviettes de toilette, draps de bain en saison. Pas de taxes de séjour. Un acompte de 25 % sera versé à la réservation puis le solde du séjour à l'arrivée. La caution de 200 € sera versée à l'arrivée après l'état des lieux et sera restituée dès la fin de séjour, après l'état des lieux. "LE MAZET ROUGE" SERA FERME du 04 novembre 2017 au 23 mars 2018