A very disappointing experience
Our experience at this home was very disappointing
When we arrived on Saturday, the owner was away. Regrettably, the house was dirty which was an upsetting first impression. Plus absolutely no welcome materials or explanation how things worked. We were paying a lot per night so we expected some level of cleanliness. When we called the owner and asked him why the home was so dirty, he admitted that he had not arranged for a cleaner but would get one by Tuesday. This would have meant almost half our stay would have been in this unclean home.
Regrettably, this was not our only issue:
1) There were no notes or booklet explaining how things work, whether it was wifi, outside lighting, if there was an alarm, or how the stove worked or anything.
2) We could not make the front door lock and he was unable to clearly explain it to us. He admitted that earlier guests had complained about the same problem. As a result we slept the one night with the door unlocked.
3) The towels were unbelievably scratchy and coarse. They were very uncomfortable and seemed extremely old.
4) My wife tried to take a shower, but it was scalding hot and the temperature controls were not working to make the water colder. She had to get out as it was burning her. The shower was also very old and brown stained.
5) Worse still the bed was incredibly hard because the mattress was so thin and gave no support. We are not looking for a fancy bed but the mattress padding couldn’t have been more than 2 inches.
6) The icebox fridge was covered in frost and needed to be thawed.
7) Some of the chair covers were stained and the décor overall was tired and ‘make do.’ And various plugs didn’t work.
Individually, these issues are not huge, but taken as a whole they add up to a very unwelcoming stay and far from the expectations we had given the earlier reviews and the photographs on the website.
My wife and I don't need luxury at all, but there is a level of trust built into this arrangement and we felt very let down. This was our annual holiday, and, as a result of what we found, we decided that we could not stay there for the planned week. Instead we left after the first night and found a hotel for the rest of the stay, incurring more money to salvage our holiday.
Having left on the Sunday we wrote to the owner on Monday asking him to call us. He never replied, nor when I tried again on Wednesday. So sad, especially as I write this in a welcoming home that we are now enjoying.
Sep 17, 2017
Owner's Response:Clients anglo-saxons, madame avocate,
Sans doute des intellectuels désappointés par le grand beau temps provençal qui n'était pas au rendez-vous.
Beaucoup de choses inexactes :
- C'est une bergerie en pierre très propre, pas un 5 étoiles luxe aux normes américaines,
- la wifi fonctionne parfaitement, n'ont pas compris comment rentrer le code pourtant mentionné sur la box,
- la porte d'entrée fonctionne normalement, à condition de bien vouloir prêter attention aux explications,
- la salle de bains aussi, n'ont pas compris l'utilisation du mitigeur thermostatique,
- les prises électriques aussi, mais certaines sont commandées par interrupteur,
- la literie est certes ferme, mais très récente,
J'ai tenté de les appeler le mardi, sans réponse.