|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
Completely self-contained, ground-floor garden suite set in a natural west-coast setting of tall firs, cedars, salal, goats beard, wild cranberry, ocean spray, Oregon grape, and ferns. The suite is perched on the immediate edge of the Capilano Canyon (the property is well fenced!) looking 30 metres down to the ruggedly beautiful Capilano River and across the canyon to the Capilano Regional Park. Exceptionally quiet - the only sounds you will hear will be the murmurs of the river and the songs and cries of the many resident birds.
The Canyon hosts bald eagles, ospreys, great blue herons, and numerous ducks and other smaller birds, including sparkling hummingbirds, that fly past at eye-level, perch on nearby trees, and enjoy the birdfeeders. Looking down at the Ranger Pool, you will see salmon running (in the fall), fly fishermen, kayakers, and hikers taking a rest on the river's 'beach'.
Our home is set well below the road, which is why it is so quiet and the setting so pristine. But it comes at a cost! There is a hand-railed path of about 40 steps from our carport down to the main level of our home. We continue to handle this journey with ease (despite two hip replacements!). There are a further 20 steps down to the suite. Consider this hike part of your daily workout!
The suite has it own private deck overlooking the canyon and there is an adjoining patio that provides a cool place to sit and read or eat on sunny hot days. It has been recently renovated and decorated with West Coast art. It has two large, bright bedrooms, with a double or queen-size bed and new bedding. The living area has a slate floor and comprises a well-equipped kitchen, a large dining and living area with a gas fireplace. The bathroom includes a bath and shower, and the usual fittings. The suite looks out, through two double French doors, to the deck and across the river to the park. The suite is exceptionally safe and private, and is professionally cleaned after each visit.
Our suite is exceptionally well located for tourists and vacationers:
• 5 minute walk to the Capilano Suspension Bridge - this is a must-see, well worth it!
• 15 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) to the Chinook Trail in the Capilano Regional Park that loops around the Cleveland Dam back to the trailhead - a lovely, pristine, riverside trail - pools, ancient trees, Capilano Salmon Hatchery, and more (my favourite longer walk).
• 5 minute drive to the Capilano Salmon Hatchery - very interesting and close encounters with salmon (which are very tasty!).
• 10 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) to Edgemont Village - old-fashioned village that provides everything you need for your stay (except a candlestick maker!).
• 20 minute quiet walk or 5 minute drive to Murdo Frazer Park - pitch and putt and a little old wood cabin set on a duck pond - bring duck food - great fun for kids!
• 10 minute drive to Ambleside Beach, 10 minute drive to Third Beach in Stanley Park - this is our favourite beach and is wonderful for families with younger children.
• 10 minute drive to the Grouse Mountain Skyride to the peak - lots to do and great fun year-round. Or, instead of taking the Skyride, try the Grouse Grind - be warned, it's very tough! For the daredevils, Grouse and the North Shore offer unmatched mountain biking!
• 20 minute drives to Cypress and Seymour Mountains - good skiing and hiking. For the fitter types, try hiking from Cypress Bowl to the Lions along the Howe Sound Crest Trail - my favourite, more demanding, hike (when I was younger!) - the views are spectacular, particularly from the top of the West Lion.
• 40 minute drive to the Sea to Sky Gondola near Squamish on the road to Whistler. Fantastic views of the iconic Stawamus Chief, Howe Sound, and surrounding mountains - a new North Shore attraction and well worth a visit!
The transit and travelling location of our home is excellent:
• 2 minute walk to buses that service downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park, Lonsdale Quay, Grouse Mountain, and Horseshoe Bay.
• 10-20 minute drive to downtown Vancouver and Stanley Park over the Lions Gate Bridge.
• 1 minute drive to the Trans Canada Highway - gateway to Horseshoe Bay, Lions Bay, Squamish and Whistler to the north west; and the Seconds Narrows Bridge, Lynn Canyon Park and Suspension Bridge, Deep Cove, east Vancouver, Burnaby and the Fraser Valley to the east.
• south of Vancouver, including the USA, can be reached through downtown Vancouver or by the Second Narrows Bridge (avoiding downtown).
We have lived in our home since 1996 and are now empty nesters after our three children left to start their own independent lives. We are both retired professionals (financial executive and teacher) and we live in the two floors above the suite. We think that our suite is beautiful, and we wanted to share it with others.
We have five grandchildren who, like all young children, are full of energy and can be rambunctious when they visit - it's a lot of fun having children around. But we are also very mindful of our guests who choose our suite for its quiet, natural location.
Harry and Sally Sutherland purchased this house in 1996
We moved to the North Shore from the Vancouver west side in 1985 when we fell in love with the ambience of mountains, forests and water. We are not 'city' people and loved the quality of life the North Shore offered (while being in close proximity to the city). We came across this home in 1996 and it was love at first sight, and the romance continues.
Our home feels to us like a quiet country cottage set in the woods by the river, but yet it is within minutes of one of the most beautiful and livable cities in the world. It is tucked in a natural cedar and fir forest setting, with abundant native plant life. Despite the trees, it enjoys a great deal of sunshine, particularly as the sun sets in the afternoon and evening. Our home and deck faces south west, so it can get hot, but we have a partially shaded patio area that is cooler and a great place to read or play.
We (mom - dad and grownup daughter) had a wonderful stay at Sutherlands lovely riverside suite. It is very clean and you will find everything you need to have a good time. We did a lot of cooking and baking, and all pots and pans were available.
Thank you so much to Sally and Harry for the welcome bottle of wine and cookies...and for help and good advises.
There are a lot of steps to the unit, but it is worth the workout. Not recommended for people with walking disabilities. The building is in wood, so you hear the sounds in the house.
The location is perfect in the nature - the only thing you hear outside is the rushing river beneath the balcony - and you are only 5 minutes walk from the Capilano Suspension Bridge. We also took a nice hike to the salmon hatchery located up the river.
We saw bold eagles from the balcony, and had several visits by a black squirrel.
We would love to come back in the spring or summer time, and sit at the beautiful balcony just enjoying the nature.
Thanks again Sally and Harry. You are great hosts. :-)
My wife and I stayed at Harry and Sally's Garden Cottage for a week. We loved it. The cottage has everything you will need for your stay. We especially loved the Fireplace and of course the view of the River below the deck. We sat out on the deck every evening and watched the birds and the squirrels and an occasional fisherman (There is a nice Weber grill). The location is a half block from the Capilano Suspension bridge. You are 10 minutes from Downtown and Stanley Park. Several miles from the cottage are local shops where we purchased local beef and farm fresh produce. We are looking forward to going back! I can see why they have received nothing but 5 star ratings.
It's everything and more you would expect and want from an holiday rental. Beautiful, peaceful location, with easy access into the city. Perfect. Thank you to our hosts, it was good to meet you, you will be seeing us again.
The garden suite was perfect for our family of 4. We planned a weekend getaway with the kids and wanted to be somewhere fairly central to hiking and the beauty of North Vancouver, and this place was perfect. It was nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of Vancouver and yet be so close to everything. We were still central to Stanley Park, Lynn Canyon, Deep Cove, Lighthouse Park, Grouse Mountain and walking distance to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Shopping and groceries were a short drive away, and there were a few shops walking distance away as well.
The suite had everything we needed - two large bedrooms, full kitchen, living area plus large deck overlooking the valley. It was nicely decorated as well, with thought put into all the decorations. The property was very clean and well maintained.
My favourite feature was the view from the deck. It was truly beautiful. The peacefulness of the river valley was better than we had anticipated. The garden area around the home was gorgeous as well.
I would definitely come back to this rental, and would recommend it to others. It was a wonderful suite in a fantastic location. Thanks for your hospitality Harry and Sally.
Harry and Sally were wonderful hosts! The apartment was exceptionally clean and well-equipped. The location just north of downtown and near the Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain was very convenient. Very walkable, safe neighbrhood. I was not familiar with the Vancouver area, but found it easy to travel around and get to where I needed to go. Peaceful and quiet location.
We loved our stay at Harry and Sallys place! It was absolutely beautiful, quaint and the perfect size for our family! Harry and Sally were so welcoming and helpful if we had any questions. We would HIGHLY recommend their place to anyone looking for a place while staying in BC. loved, loved, loved our stay....hope to be back again someday!
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add $23 per night, per additional guest|
Please note that the additional guest fee of $30.00 per night DOES NOT APPLY TO CHILDREN OF THE RENTER (high school or younger)! If the "Book It" system quotes the additional guest fee for your children, enter O children
Monthly rate by negotiation
Please feel free to call our home number for more information or any clarification 1-604-987-2832