|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
Completely self-contained, ground-floor garden suite set in a natural west-coast setting of tall firs, cedars, salal, goats beard, wild cranberry, ocean spray, Oregon grape, and ferns. The suite is perched on the immediate edge of the Capilano Canyon (the property is well fenced!) looking 30 metres down to the ruggedly beautiful Capilano River and across the canyon to the Capilano Regional Park. Exceptionally quiet - the only sounds you will hear will be the murmurs of the river and the songs and cries of the many resident birds.
The Canyon hosts bald eagles, ospreys, great blue herons, and numerous ducks and other smaller birds, including sparkling hummingbirds, that fly past at eye-level, perch on nearby trees, and enjoy the birdfeeders. Looking down at the Ranger Pool, you will see salmon running (in the fall), fly fishermen, kayakers, and hikers taking a rest on the river's 'beach'.
Our home is set well below the road, which is why it is so quiet and the setting so pristine. But it comes at a cost! There is a hand-railed path of about 40 steps from our carport down to the main level of our home. We continue to handle this journey with ease (despite two hip replacements!). There are a further 20 steps down to the suite. Consider this hike part of your daily workout!
The suite has it own private deck overlooking the canyon and there is an adjoining patio that provides a cool place to sit and read or eat on sunny hot days. It has been recently renovated and decorated with West Coast art. It has two large, bright bedrooms, with a double or queen-size bed and new bedding. The living area has a slate floor and comprises a well-equipped kitchen, a large dining and living area with a gas fireplace. The bathroom includes a bath and shower, and the usual fittings. The suite looks out, through two double French doors, to the deck and across the river to the park. The suite is exceptionally safe and private, and is professionally cleaned after each visit.
Our suite is exceptionally well located for tourists and vacationers:
• 5 minute walk to the Capilano Suspension Bridge - this is a must-see, well worth it!
• 15 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) to the Chinook Trail in the Capilano Regional Park that loops around the Cleveland Dam back to the trailhead - a lovely, pristine, riverside trail - pools, ancient trees, Capilano Salmon Hatchery, and more (my favourite longer walk).
• 5 minute drive to the Capilano Salmon Hatchery - very interesting and close encounters with salmon (which are very tasty!).
• 10 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) to Edgemont Village - old-fashioned village that provides everything you need for your stay (except a candlestick maker!).
• 20 minute quiet walk or 5 minute drive to Murdo Frazer Park - pitch and putt and a little old wood cabin set on a duck pond - bring duck food - great fun for kids!
• 10 minute drive to Ambleside Beach, 10 minute drive to Third Beach in Stanley Park - this is our favourite beach and is wonderful for families with younger children.
• 10 minute drive to the Grouse Mountain Skyride to the peak - lots to do and great fun year-round. Or, instead of taking the Skyride, try the Grouse Grind - be warned, it's very tough! For the daredevils, Grouse and the North Shore offer unmatched mountain biking!
• 20 minute drives to Cypress and Seymour Mountains - good skiing and hiking. For the fitter types, try hiking from Cypress Bowl to the Lions along the Howe Sound Crest Trail - my favourite, more demanding, hike (when I was younger!) - the views are spectacular, particularly from the top of the West Lion.
• 40 minute drive to the Sea to Sky Gondola near Squamish on the road to Whistler. Fantastic views of the iconic Stawamus Chief, Howe Sound, and surrounding mountains - a new North Shore attraction and well worth a visit!
The transit and travelling location of our home is excellent:
• 2 minute walk to buses that service downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park, Lonsdale Quay, Grouse Mountain, and Horseshoe Bay.
• 10-20 minute drive to downtown Vancouver and Stanley Park over the Lions Gate Bridge.
• 1 minute drive to the Trans Canada Highway - gateway to Horseshoe Bay, Lions Bay, Squamish and Whistler to the north west; and the Seconds Narrows Bridge, Lynn Canyon Park and Suspension Bridge, Deep Cove, east Vancouver, Burnaby and the Fraser Valley to the east.
• south of Vancouver, including the USA, can be reached through downtown Vancouver or by the Second Narrows Bridge (avoiding downtown).
We have lived in our home since 1996 and are now empty nesters after our three children left to start their own independent lives. We are both retired professionals (financial executive and teacher) and we live in the two floors above the suite. We think that our suite is beautiful, and we wanted to share it with others.
We have four grandchildren who, like all young children, are full of energy and can be rambunctious when they visit - it's a lot of fun having children around. But we are also very mindful of our guests who choose our suite for its quiet, natural location.
Harry and Sally Sutherland purchased this house in 1996
We moved to the North Shore from the Vancouver west side in 1985 when we fell in love with the ambience of mountains, forests and water. We are not 'city' people and loved the quality of life the North Shore offered (while being in close proximity to the city). We came across this home in 1996 and it was love at first sight, and the romance continues.
Our home feels to us like a quiet country cottage set in the woods by the river, but yet it is within minutes of one of the most beautiful and livable cities in the world. It is tucked in a natural cedar and fir forest setting, with abundant native plant life. Despite the trees, it enjoys a great deal of sunshine, particularly as the sun sets in the afternoon and evening. Our home and deck faces south west, so it can get hot, but we have a partially shaded patio area that is cooler and a great place to read or play.
We had a wonderful stay at the garden suite. It was quaint and cozy with a beautiful view. Everything we could of possibly wanted was thoughtfully at hand. Harry and Sally were very gracious hosts. We would recommend this suite unreservedly !
We had a great visit at Harry and Sally's apartment. It was so cozy and clean! We loved sitting out on the deck and listening to the river. You are only 4 miles from Vancouver in this location but you feel worlds away because it is so tranquil and peaceful. We would definitely stay here again! Thanks so much Harry and Sally....and Bustle. :)
Would stay again in a heartbeat - beautiful spot on the Capilano River with access to the sights and places in Vancouver.
We loved it - suffice it to say, even if we didn't make it to other places in Vancouver, we would have been happy just relaxing at the Sutherland garden suite. Only met Harry and Sally briefly; they were away part of the time but made the effort to stop by and say hello - pleasant couple.
Oh, and Fin our Lakeland Terrier enjoyed the stay also - I think he (and us) appreciated the quiet and no vehicle traffic.
Thanks to the Sutherlands for sharing their home with us.
John, Lori and the Fin
The property is set in beautiful gardens which have a very tranquil feel. We made good use of the decked area which overlooks the river below and forest opposite. The inside of the property was tastefully decorated, very clean and well equipped for our needs. It really felt very welcoming. In the write up on the property there is mention of several steps down to the property but don't let this put you off, it is well worth the small effort it takes to get down there. Finally the location of the property is superb with bus stops nearby to take you into Vancouver. There are also local shops nearby for all your needs. We would definitely recommend this property.
Harry and Sally were very welcoming when these two grandparents and their 11 year old granddaughter showed up from Texas. The apartment we stayed in was beautiful, well appointed, and comfortable. We have stayed in many VRBOs in the US, and I think this was our favorite. The Capilano River views and sounds, the brightly colored flowers in the garden, and the seclusion of the property were more than we expected. The location in North Vancouver was perfect, and we enjoyed the small village of shops nearby. We could quickly drive into Stanley Park and Vancouver. There are many steps down (and back up) to the apartment, but that was not a problem. If we return to Vancouver, we will definitely try and stay here again.
Perfect location for seeing Vancouver attractions! Suite is very private and the view is breath-taking. Owners are very nice and accomodating. We would stay here again!
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add $23 per night, per additional guest|
Please note that the additional guest fee of $30.00 per night DOES NOT APPLY TO CHILDREN OF THE RENTER (high school or younger)! If the "Book It" system quotes the additional guest fee for your children, enter O children
Monthly rate by negotiation
Please feel free to call our home number for more information or any clarification 1-604-987-2832