|Minimum Stay||3 - 4 nights|
Recently designated one of VRBO's most inviting listings, our Island Getaway is nestled within a stand of lush tropical plants. This unique cottage offers a delightful indoor/outdoor living experience – 3 of 4 walls are screened, opening the studio to the sensual tropical air that is such a wonderful part of Hawai'ian living.
Outside, a covered lana'i and outdoor shower (great after a trip to nearby beaches), are bordered by a bamboo grove and banana trees. A pool and hot tub are all steps away – as are mangoes, bananas, avocados and papayas.
Inside is furnished with rattan furniture, a dreamy queen-sized bed, and plenty of space for relaxing. The kitchen is compact and complete – featuring a dishwasher, microwave, 4-burner gas cook top, convection/toaster oven (but no 'full-size' oven), and 20x20x36 refrigerator with upper, separate 16x16x20 freezer. Custom-built bamboo cabinetry ties everything together in unmistakable island style.
We loved designing, building and living in our little cottage. It gives us great pleasure to share this love with like-minded guests who are seeking something more authentic than your typical 'condo experience'.
Please be aware that Hawai'i is probably more 'rural' than you are used to. There are places on the Island that have no cell phone reception (although it is quite good at our cottage), and Internet connectivity is only 'adequate' (and sometimes awkward). We subscribe to a cable Internet service, and reset the cable router frequently. There is WiFi at the property, but you will most likely need to restart your device/equipment.
And because this information is deeply buried in the VRBO 'extras', but is one of the most frequently asked questions:
The pool is shared with one other vacation rental studio. This 14 by 14 pool is unfenced, and there is no lifeguard present. Pool is about 10 feet deep. It is professionally serviced once a week.
The hot tub next to the pool is rarely used by anyone other than our Island Getaway guests. This is because the other Tropical Hideaway vacation rental guests have their own, private, hot tub. Although it is not prohibited that they use the hot tub by the pool, it is uncommon for this to happen.
We are freshly retired and love the idea of having this wonderful island getaway to share with people.
Rennie was a software developer, and Hope was a property manager.
We love to travel, especially when warm water is involved! Although we have traveled many places, this is our favorite place to enjoy rest and relaxation.
Hope & Rennie Innis purchased this cottage in 2004
The first time we arrived here, we thought this was the perfect place to spend our island vacation. Being so close to great snorkeling, beaches and close enough to Kona for a night out, we loved this getaway cottage so much that we returned a year later to purchase it.
Being in a beautiful tropical garden, with the pool, hot tub and gorgeous view of the ocean and mountain volcano, this place is sublime.
Wow! We've been using VRBO for 10 years now and this one blows all the others away! When We entered the Getaway lsland gate, We grinned from ear to ear for hours...literally. We stayed 10 nights here.
Hope and Rennie take a lot of pride in this place. As someone who has had a house cleaning company for 24 years, it was the cleanest place we've stayed. They think of everything from bug spray, umbrella, Kleenex, shampoo, body wash, ear plugs, outlets in all the right places to charge electronics. .I couldn't think of a single thing they hadn't provided that's not in my own house.
The 3 screened in walls are amazing! To sit inside in the evenings and they have a dim on/off switch that lights around the living room and kitchen looking at bamboo with beautiful geckos everywhere. Gave a a sense of security bc you know they're eating bugs.
The back patio with the shower, toilet, w/d and koi pond is just so hard to describe but heavenly!
The hot tub and pool has a killer view. Was nice to hop in the hot tub after a long day at the beach before bed. Bed was very comfortable after we took the foam topper off. If you like a cushy bed, it's wonderful. We like ours more firm.
Beach mats, chairs, boogie boards and umbrella are all provided. Even snorkel gear, but we had our own.
If we ever came back to this island....would definatly stay here again.
Only thing we could suggest is not everyone likes down pillows. It would be nice if provided more firm ones.
Also Erin who takes care of the place is so informative and really takes pride in keeping this place clean and to make sure you have everything. I hope she gets a raise bc she is amazing! Hard to find people that care about your house as if it were their own!
Thank you for sharing your amazing getaway! Loved it!
Gregg and Jenn
- The house itself is very beautiful and has all the necessary amenities.
- The location is great for accessing Kona-area beaches and other attractions.
- Lots of fresh fruit available on the property
- Salt water pool was refreshing, but too small to do anything other than float around in.
- The housekeeper asked us when we wanted to checkout. We asked for a late check out since we had a late evening flight. The housekeeper told us we had to be out at the normal 11AM checkout time. On its own, a reasonable request, but as noted below, it was just one of many inhospitable moments we experienced from the host/staff.
- The overbearingness of the hosts/staff. The day of check-in, before we even arrived, we had multiple text messages/calls from the housekeeper asking us when we would arrive so she could conduct an "orientation" to explain the house rules. It's vacation. We weren't planning to be on a schedule, so it was a bit off-putting.
- The mosquitos. The outdoor shower is nice in theory, but when you can't take a shower without getting multiple mosquito bites, it suddenly doesn't seem so nice. We stayed at three different places on the Big Island and the mosquito situation here was far worse than at the other two places. The hosts should seriously consider removing the pond in the back because, treated or not, it's probably attracting mosquitos.
- The "house manual" and the post-it style notes scattered around the house contain a multitude of rules that left my wife feeling anxious the whole trip.
- The hosts ask you to take your trash to the dump at check out. It's not required, but again, a bit off-putting.
- We had trouble connecting to the wireless internet when we arrived, which per the housekeeper had been a problem for past guests as well.
- The property has a large grassy section where four or five cars could easily fit (and where there were always extra spaces during our stay), but we were required to park all the way at the end of the narrow hilly driveway in a spot that required a tricky 7 or 8 point turn to get out of.
- We were told it was "unacceptable" to walk through the breezeway to get to the spot where the fresh fruit was stored. So, from that point on, we didn't get any fresh fruit since it was in a spot that was a bit out of the way relative to the house and where we were required to park.
We are absolutely in love with Island Getaway. The property is truely a unique place, set in a lush tropical landscape, open and airy but private and very romantic. From the front gate to the back garden there is not one part of this place that lacks character and curiosity, It is STUNNING. There is also nothing lacking, it is incredibly well stocked with anything you could possibly need.
We were greeted by Erin who was very helpful with local information and had email contact from Hope and Rennie checking to see all wa well.
Of all the places around the world we have travelled and stayed Island Geaway has stolen a piece of our heart.
We had an amazing time staying at Island Getaway! We loved the private feel of the setting and being able to use the saltwater swimming pool. The property was well manicured (grass, beautiful flowers, fruit trees, bamboo, water feature) and the cottage was very well stocked with everything we needed for our stay. The outdoor bathroom was a refreshing change of lifestyle and I wish we could have that here at home :) The outdoor lighting was spectacular in the evenings and the open air feel was top notch. Cleanliness and attention to details is certainly a priority for the owners. Thanks for an amazing stay!
Pleasant and comfortable. There are many items that add to the experience, such as bug spray, fans, a coffee mill, and sun hats. The list certainly goes on. We enjoyed our stay thoroughly and highly recommend the Island Getaway.
We had the most memorable experience here for our 20th anniversary! The unit was so clean and private. The bed was comfortable, and it was a treat to shower outdoors every day. Swimming, snorkeling, and kayaking are super close, and the owners and managers are readily available to answer any questions. We had no difficulties with insects, as we carefully followed the owners' instructions. The nightly frog symphony was difficult to get used to. My husband found that ear plugs helped, and I just considered it white noise. Two of our favorite places were Volcanoes National Park and Hapuna Beach. We hope to visit this b n b again someday.
This unique cottage is located on the south Kona coast, just minutes from the best snorkeling in the Hawai'ian islands.
You will also be in the famed Kona coffee region, where some of the best coffee in world is grown. You can sample this coffee, or take an informative tour, at nearby roasters.
Not to be missed is the Volcano's National Park, 1 1/2 hours drive from this location. Watch the earth being formed before your eyes when you visit the Kilauea crater.
One of the State of Hawai'i's two National Historic Parks is the 'City of Refuge', located 5 minutes, or 1.6 miles from the cottage. This historic and restored ruins will give you a sense of the island's fascinating history, and is adjacent to enticing 'Two Step' snorkeling. There is also a nice white sand beach about 15 minutes south of our cottage!
An amazing Fruit Stand is just a bit further south and has fruits that you will have never even heard of!
Painted Church is a well-known attraction. It is a 10 minute walk from the cottage, and is a simple wooden structure whose hand-painted interior decor was meant to replicate the glory of the cathedrals. Catholic services are held and are posted. You will be welcome.
|Refundable damage deposit||$75|
|Preparation Fee||$100 + Tax|
Rates are subject to change until your reservation is confirmed.
Special Note Required by Insurance Policy:
"The pool is 14 feet by 14 feet by 10 feet deep, is un-fenced, and there is no lifeguard present. Swim at your own risk!”
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.