|Space||2,600 sq. ft.|
|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
Southcott Award Winning Heritage Home is located on a quiet street in the heart of downtown, with views of Signal Hill and the Harbor, three bedrooms, and a spacious main floor complete with a full dining room and half bathroom. The large, bright kitchen has an island with bar seating perfect for starting your day off with a coffee with family or friends. The living room contains a classic NL fireplace for any chilly days, and the kitchen opens onto a large deck with a barbecue and outdoor seating for enjoying NL's sunny evenings.
Upstairs there are three bedrooms and one bathroom with a claw foot bath tub. There is plenty of natural light and a view of the harbour from the master bedroom.
Everything you need is provided to accommodate a comfortable stay including heat, hot water, electricity, washer/dryer, wireless internet, kitchen supplies (pots, pans, dishes, appliances, etc.), towels, and linens. (If you need something that is not listed, please let us know and we can try to accommodate you.)
Southcott Award Winning Heritage Home
Formal Living Room and Dining Room
Original Wooden Floors and Staircases with Big Bright Harbour Front Windows
Spacious Eat in Kitchen Opens to the Harbour and a Large Patio and Garden
2 Spacious Bedrooms on 2nd Floor with Full Bathroom
Master Loft on Top Floor with Limitless Harbour Views
Storage Rooms and Central Heating System in Full Size Basement
Great Neighborhood – Walking Distance to Restaurants, Shops, and Pubs
Perfect Blend of Executive Living in a Historic Residential Setting
We were looking forward to our week in St. John's (June 21st-28th) in the "Jelly Bean House" but, sadly, we couldn't even stay one night. Space doesn't permit a full accounting of our disappointment but here are just some of the highlights:
- the photo of the house (which has been deleted) was not an accurate portrayal of the condition of it and it's neighbours - the real thing was unappealing - in need of paint and upkeep; the weeds that greeted us when we came up to the house were at least one to two feet high - the back yard was also full of weeds and was mostly stones and contained a rather old and grubby- looking patio set;
- there is a major construction site directly behind the homes (the ower responded to us by saying that was "quiet construction";
- cooking smells wafting in through the living room window from the restaurant on the corner;
- there was a heavy smell of grease and food odours in the kitchen - the kitchen windows do not open as they have been permanently sealed shut - allowing no fresh air at all. The owner suggested the range hood should eliminate these smells - it would not;
- the kitchen was full of the owners provisions - most of which were open and partially used - the cupboards were all full - the kitchen table had a brown cloth on it and the table was unstable - most people would not use such supplies and in many jurisdictions it would be illegal to leave them behind;
- the fact that the property is owner/lived-in full-time by three male persons is not mentioned on the website.- that personal clothes and other items are stacked away in cupboards and boxes within the home;
- there was a shortage of bath towels and we were told they were in a closet/cupboard somewhere!!! The bathroom mats were older and rather threadbare. While the bathrooms smelled strongly of bleach there was dirt and grime in the corners and splashes of something(?) on the doors;
- the house overall emitted a musty smell and the furniture was older and worn and generally uninviting. While this is not a problem for those living in the house, it is not the standard to which we have become accustomed with VRBO properties.
We refused to stay even one night and searched for other accommodation for the week. Unfortunately, we only managed to get hotel accommodation for three nights as nothing else was available for the rest of the week. Needless to say, the experience ruined our vacation and was very costly (extra fees for flights/hotels and only 50% refund)
My family and I really enjoyed our brief stay here. For 4 adults, the pricing was a steal compared to booking hotel rooms downtown. We enjoyed staying in an authentic Jelly Bean house. Just keep in mind that it's quite old so the stairs and floors tilt a bit, but for us that added to the character. We also really appreciated the use of the parking pass. My only request would be to have a hair dryer available for guests!
It really is an awesome location, just a couple minutes away from great restaurants, Water Street shops, and of course the famous George Street pubs! The owner emailed us an extensive document prior to our arrival, walking us through the home and recommending nearby restaurants, etc. We recommend the Duke of Duckworth for fish n chips-- I thought the cod bites were just perfect. We also loved The Reluctant Chef, nearby on Duckworth Street. It's a 5-course chef's tasting menu -- a splurge meal to be sure if you add the wine pairings, but it was absolutely awesome!
This was a fabulous find! Very central location in the heart of St. John's. Nice to experience living in a real jellybean row house. House was just as it appeared in photos. Very clean. Lots of room. Impressively equipped kitchen for those who like to cook. Nice touch to have teas and coffee on hand. Owner sent an extremely informative email prior, outlining places of interest, recommended dining spots, etc. Very helpful and welcoming. Manager was very available for anything that came up (nothing did). Would definitely stay there again!
My Sisters and I spent three nights at this property and had a lovely time. The house is exactly what we expected and met our needs perfectly during our time downtown. The location couldn't be better to explore downtown St. John's and the harbour. Everything is just a short walk away and we loved the proximity to George Street. The one little problem that we had with electricity in one room was very quickly fixed. Lisa, the property manager was very responsive and pleasant to deal with. I would recommend this property to friends and family!
This is a wonderful chance to live in downtown St. John's in a most unique jelly bean home. This property has a feel of home, as it is a working home at different parts of the year. The host leaves a
detailed description of the house and also a very handy idea of the neighborhood with great recommendations on restaurants, and the many things to do in the city, we followed a number of
these recommendations never to be disappointed. The description and photo's of the house is exactly what you get with a great host.
We were very lucky to find this place. I am a travel writer and this was what I was looking for: a historic Jellybean home in the heart of downtown, with nice touches throughout the house (look up in the living room and you see a really great molded ceiling pattern that you’ll want to take a picture of). The accommodations were lovely, spacious and all the beds were clean and comfortable. The office was good for work, and it has a nice view of the harbor. The owner provided pre-treated logs for the cozy fire place, and that was nice to warm ourselves by if it got chilly at night. It’s a beautiful family home and I plan to revisit it next time I’m back in St. John’s.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Cleaning fee||$100 + Tax|
|Pet Fee||$100 + Tax|
|Property Damage Protection||$79|
Rates are subject to change until reservation is confirmed.