|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
Your booking will be backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee when you complete your reservation online and finalize payment on HomeAway.
Casa Colibri de Atenas is conveniently located 25 minutes from Juan Santamaria Int'l Airport (SJO), 35 minutes from San Jose, 45 minutes from beaches, 1.5hrs from Poas Volcano, 2 hrs from Arenal Volcano and Hot Springs, 2 hrs from Manuel Antonio, and 2.5 hrs from Monteverde Cloud Forest. We are centrally located to nearly all the best sights and activities in Costa Rica.
Our home is nestled on the Pica Flora ridge in Atenas, where we have fabulous weather all year long. Conde Nast and National Geographic have dubbed our town as having the 'best climate in the world'.
Casa Colibri is equipped with all the amenities you'll need to make it your home away from home. WiFi, Cable TV, fully stocked kitchen with all your cooking needs. Bedroom 1 on the first floor has a king size bed, large closet space, en suite shower/toilet, and direct access to the outdoor jacuzzi. Bedroom 2 on the second floor has a queen size bed plus a single bed, large work desk, walk-in closet, luxurious en suite bathroom with double sinks, shower, and jacuzzi and a luxurious balcony overlooking the central valley and our large swimming pool.
Costa Rica has one of the lowest crime rates in Central America (equal to Boston, USA); and Atenas has one of the lowest crime rates in Costa Rica. Still, there is a security gate and friendly neighbors nearby for added security.
We have an excellent management team to provide you with tourist tips as well as handle any problems that might arise. The owners live year round 400 meters away from Casa Colibri.
Owners are Americans who have lived in Japan and Paris for 30 years before settling on Costa Rica.
Charles/Gloria purchased this house in 2013
Close to SJO airport (much appreciated after a late night arrival) yet still isolated in a safe, friendly town. Easy 5 min. drive over good roads to Supermarkets and town square. Low, low humidity. Well-built house, especially plumbing (no need for unpleasant 'waste' baskets in bathrooms...). Paved road so no dust storms to interfere with your harmony.
Automatic coded security gate, frontage is paved (no dust), true lap-pool, good plumbing, fully solar hot water and electricity (with electric company on standby for cloudy days) owners live in neighborhood year round.
Charlie was an excellent host and provided plenty of detail on how to get to the property. He was watching the status of our inbound flight and picked us up some groceries since we wouldn't get to Atenas until late in the evening (best $20 I've spent after a day of travel). The house exceeded all of our expectations!
My family of 5 (17,15,11) just spent 7 days in Costa Rica. The house was fantastic and a great fit for us for the following reasons:
1. Staying in atenas is an authentic experience. When we travel to a new place, our goal is to experience the culture of the country. With this location we were able to spend time at the very comfortable house, but also walk down each day to have lunch or dinner or grocery shop in the town. Perfect!
2. The climate here is like no other I experienced. It was blue sky and perfect every day. Morning start early due to the sunrise, but my lethargic teens on vacation were happy to eat breakfast on the back porch and then roll into the pool (if we were not going on a day trip). We brought rafts which was a good move for everyone to have max comfort. There was a pump and one floating chaise already there...and we left one of ours. Also three lounge chairs beside the pool, as well as rockers and lounge chaise on the back porch which is covered by overhang of roof. Games and books for all ages.
3. The sleeping situation worked out well with parents on private second floor and 2 teens in lower room with two single beds, and other oldest teen on couch in living room. (It is a pull out, though he just used sheets and pillow on couch as is....his typical choice while on vacation). There is a third bed in upper bedroom but our kids just used it to read on. We slept with all the upper doors open which was heavenly though, yes, the birds are very happy here!! They wake up cheerful every day. At first I was shocked but it quickly became used to it- kind of like background music. We never slept with the doors shut so apparently it didn't bother us too much. The sun rises early and sets early (by 6:00 pm) so your body gets reset while here. Loved it all.
4. Location to Costa Rican hot spots is great. My family made me promise to not overbook us, so we ended up taking day trips every other day. We took three trips using Walter's taxi service: el Toledo coffe plantation (local) complete with lunch prepared by a Costa Rican family- priceless. Also, day trip to Fortuna (3 hours). This gave us a chance to see rural countryside and go zipline, volcano, and hot springs. Last, Manuel Antonio forest and amazing beach (2 1/2 hours) . Perfect choices for us. Note: owners were not in town while we were there because visiting son- but still responsive over email.
Everyone very happy with this house!! If we can come back...we will.
Charlie and Gloria's home in Atenas was perfect for our stay in Costa Rica. The location was ideal for seeing San Jose, the sights around San Jose and for going to the beach. Atenas itself is a great town with awesome weather.
The property had an amazing view form the back porch and upper balcony. The pool was nice to have after a day of sightseeing and the home had everything you would need for a comfortable stay.
Charlie and Gloria make sure you are taken care from before your arrival to the day you depart. My wife and I would highly recommend this rental.
Had a wonderful time in Atenas. Charles is very welcoming and knowledgeable of all that Costa Rica has to offer. Location is top notch. Perfect location for volcanoes, zip lining and natural habitat tours. Plan on booking another trip in the near future.
We arrived exhausted after our flight. However, Charlie was waiting for us at the house. After a short tour, he drove us to the grocery to stock up. He helped us navigate since our Spanish is very spotty. He gave us some pointers and recommendations for restaurants and other things to do. He even loaned us a cell phone to use during our stay. His greatest suggestion was for using Walter's Taxi & Tour Service. His service was amazing. The house was great. Very roomy, clean, fully equipped. Everything we expected. Thank you for a super stay.
My family and I had an amazing time at Casa Colibri!!! The views were great, the fact that all of the sliding doors could be left wide open throughout the whole day made it even more spectacular and enjoyable to hear all the sounds of nature! We also enjoyed our visits from the two toucans, and the other beautiful birds that would come daily. The Lap swimming pool was awesome. The balcony view was gorgeous, super relaxing. The home is very cozy. I would definetly recommend this home to my family and friends. Upon arriving at the home we were greeted by Charlie and his son who were super NICE they gave us a brief tour of the house and gave us some tips on the area as to were to eat and visit. Had the privilege to also met Gloria who is also so very sweet and kind. They really make you feel at home. Charlie and Gloria we like to personally thank you for giving us the opportunity to stay at your beautiful home and experience how BEAUTIFUL Costa Rica is truly PURA VIDA ♥♥
Atenas is a quaint town with low humidity and cool temperatures. Its central location makes it ideal for beach/deep sea fishing activities (45 mins away) or Cloud Forest activities (zip-lining, horseback riding (45 mins away) or volcano exploring (2 hours away). Sizzle at the beach all day and then spend a cool night in Atenas!
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
3 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.