About the property
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay1 - 7 nights
5 bedroom, 4 bathroom with Ocean Views, beachfront, pool
We have 3 separate Units: The Main House, the Guest House and Caretakers’ House:
• The Main House: It has a large raised deck with a small swimming pool, 2 outside (but undercover) tables that can be used for any of the meals (these tables can be put together for larger groups). Inside there is general area with living room and dinning room on one side and a kitchen area with a long and high bar type table with stools. There is also a full bathroom and a food and supplies walk in closet. On the second floor there are 3 rooms. 2 of these rooms are a type of loft overlooking the downstairs area; they have 2 separate Queen Size beds (2.00x1.50m). Although we count these Queen Size beds for 1 person, a couple or 2 children can sleep in them. There is a master bedroom with a King Size bed (2.00x2.00m), a private full bathroom and a closet. In front of the master bedroom there is a balcony overlooking the ocean.
• The Guest House: The guest house has a room upstairs and one downstairs. The downstairs room has a small deck in front overlooking the ocean; the bedroom has King Size bed (2.00x2.00m), a Single Size bed (1.00x1.90m) and a full private bathroom. The room upstairs is a very large room with 2 balconies (one overlooking the ocean and the other one the pool) and a private full bathroom. It has 2 single size beds (1.00x1.90m), set together forming a King Size bed that can be separated. It also has 2 additional Single Size beds (1.00x1.90m).
Notes: You can select to use any room you want but once selected, please do not change rooms because the maintenance people would have to clean and wash after them also.
2. The House:
• Water: The water in the house comes from a natural spring and can be used as drinking water (we do so).
• Hot Water for the Shower or Sink: The Main House as well as the Guest House, have heated hot water supply.
• Electricity: We have electricity in the house.
• Music: We have a speaker/sound system (JBL SplashProof Portable Speakers) that you can use and connect via Bluetooth to your phone/music.
• Refrigerator: The house is equipped with a standard refrigerator and we have two large coolers that can be used to store all source of supplies in good condition. You can ask the caretaker for help to buy the ice. The nearest place is in Uvita/Bahia areas.
• Telephone: We have recently installed a telephone line (the number is 2786 5590).
• Cooking: All the cooking is done with gas. We have a large kitchen with 4 burners a grill.
• Garbage: For environmental reasons, we have 2 separate garbage deposits. One for Paper and Plastics and the other for Organic Matter. Glass and Metal cans will be handled separately also.
• Pool: The water in the pool comes also from the spring with a small continuous flow.
• Candles: Due to the flammable construction materials used in building the house we do not allow any candles in the rooms. You can use candles at the outdoor tables and areas where they can be supervised at all times.
• Torches: Out on the Deck we have torches that are lit at sundown. The caretaker will blow them off when they are retiring (For security purposes we do not want to leave them during the night without supervision).
3. Services: We have a couple that take care of the maintenance and cleaning of the house and can also cook for you. They have their own house (next to the main house) and generally come early in the morning (around 7:00AM) to clean the main house and prepare breakfast. They also will show up to help with lunch (around 12:00PM) and late afternoon (5:00PM) to light the outside torches and help with serving drinks and dinner preparation. If you need them at any other time, just call them.
• Cooking: The caretakers wife can cook for you (following your instructions) or you can use them to assist you. If you like to try some of our local food, they can prepare rice and beans and fresh hand made tortillas (you will have to remember to purchase the corn flower for tortillas and the rice and beans).
• The Grill: Anytime you want to use the outside Grill, you can ask the caretaker and he will look for the wood and prepare it for you.
• Cleaning: The caretakers will maintain the house and clean all the rooms and bathrooms.
• Linen and Towels: Both are included with the house. In regards to the towels, please use them in the House or Deck areas only (do not take them to the beach. If you are going to need towels for the beach, please bring your own.
• Rooms and Beds: After your breakfast, the caretakers will clean your rooms and make up your beds. If you want this done at other times you need to tell them.
• Washing: If you need anything to be washed, the caretakers will do it for a small gratuity.
• Drinks and beverages: The caretakers can help you prepare drinks and beverages but you have to show them how to prepare certain drinks. Depending on the season and availability, they can bring you coconut juice from nearby trees.
• Supplies: Bathroom soap and toiled paper are included with the house. You should bring whatever goods you are going to consume. In the San Jose area you can find a larger variety of goods but there are different areas close to the house where you can buy most of your needs.
• Additional help: If you need additional help, either of the caretakers can arrange it for you. The hourly rate should be close to $3.00.
• Tipping: This is strictly based on your opinion and how you were treated.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- english, french, spanish, italian
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 13, 2018
Why Valentine chose Bahía Ballena
Beachfront in a secluded/quiet area of the beach
What makes this House unique
All meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) help in preparation (under your directions and supervision) and kitchen (cooking and washing of dishes).
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 2:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
Canceled bookings will not receive a refund
Amazing location, very private lots of wildlife
We loved our stay in Ballena, the house has lots of character, open to the nature.
We had Toucans, Monkeys, owls in the garden. We went for a walk early morning and we saw lots Blue Morpho and Agouti.
We really want say thanks again to Francisco and Anna they made feel us welcome and soon they became a part of the family.
I loved our stay here !!
This house is quirky and fabulous! I loved it. The beach is amazing. If you head down the beach to the right, there is amazing caves and quiet beaches to be found. The only issues we had were lack of kitchen stuff. Dish towels, spices etc . And the deck need some work. Some of the boards need replacing(one broke while we were hanging on the deck)
If you’re into one of a kind places stay here !! We hope to return soon !
Perfect Bahia Ballena rental
I literally just left Fabio's place and am so thrilled with my experience, I have to leave a review immediately. The first thing I want to commend is the manner in which this home places its guests in nature in a way that's safe and comfortable. There are minimal walls and, instead, mostly screens. This allows continuous exposure to the ocean breezes, the sound of the sea, and the chatter of the jungle. We fell asleep every night listening to the gentle ebb of the tide, the sweet geckos chirping, and the other peaceful sounds of a Costa Rican night. By day, we heard (and saw) Howler Monkeys, White-Faced Capuchin Monkeys, Toucans, and Scarlet Macaws without leaving the property. Incredible. Other reviewers warn that the house is rustic. It is, but in a way that's tasteful, elegant, eclectic, whimsical, and absolutely perfect. In a way, the rustic simplicity of the home prevents distractions that might separate you from the natural beauty and tranquility of the area. Ana and Francisco are the caretakers who live next door and they are the loveliest people you will find. They do not speak any English, so you may consider practicing a few Spanish phrases. Two of the four members in our party (my husband and I) have learned some basic Spanish in our travels and very much enjoyed talking to both of them. Francisco is willing to slow his speech and simplify his sentence structure to ensure understanding on the receiving end. We were able to not only have meaningful conversations with him, but also improve our Spanish language skills. He is an interesting, intelligent, caring, insightful, and funny man. Meanwhile, Ana is a big ball of joyous energy with infectious laughter and a perpetually positive attitude. She also makes some delicious meals if you make arrangements with her. Some previous reviews state that Ana and Francisco are too involved and omnipresent, resulting in lack of privacy. They are as involved as you want them to be. If you want privacy, just ask. I found them to be simply wonderful humans who added something special and genuine to our experience. Fabio, the property owner, is also a pleasure to do business with. He is always available, responds rapidly to questions, and offered a smooth booking with seamless transactions. I would not hesitate to do business with him in the future. So would I recommend booking this rental? I think it would be silly if you didn't! Thanks Fabio, Ana, and Francisco for a perfect little holiday.
Very RUSTIC and Authentic
My boyfriend and I stayed one night here on our 10 day trip, the location was perfect for what we wanted to see. It was the first time I've really travelled and the first time I rented a place off HomeAway. The experience would have me renting a place from the site again, and I would definitely deal with Fabio again.
The house was as described, but seemed to need some TLC. Given the conditions (rainy season, hot, humid and no windows and air conditioning) made everything damp- not the homeowner's fault, just the season. The house did seem to have better days, but it gave us everything we needed (although considering the season, it was by far the most expensive place we stayed at)
The homeowner was very attentive in emails, responded promptly and did not mislead anything. He mentioned the wifi issues, which were accurate- it didn't work for us in the 24 hrs we were there, nor did we have cell service. The warning on the "wildlife" was given as well. Although we could not find sloths or monkeys we did see bats, ants, and ended up carrying a scorpion with us for a little while.
Playa Arco (which is super close and the reason we booked this place) is amazing!!!
The caretakers were very friendly, though it would've been helpful to be prepared that they didn't understand or speak any English.
I'm glad we stayed there, we had a great time, however that said, I feel no need to visit again and was glad it was only the one night.
Similar as mentioned in the other reviews, this property provides a unique and relaxing experience. Caretakers are wonderful and welcoming people. The openness and closeness to nature is invaluable.
The house is RUSTIC, may be too much for some but that is what we wanted. All in all a great experience that ended too soon.
There are some things that may not be ideal for little kids (or require parenting in overdrive) such as a the narrow spiral staircase in the house and a few holes/broken boards in the deck by the pool. Note the pictures online are outdated by at least 2+ years.
This is truly a special place. It is very private, immersed in nature. We saw a Blue Morpho butterfly, monkeys in the trees near the house, lots of birds too. The beach is different at high tide and low tide, with a secret path through the woods to Playa Arco at low tide. The master bedroom overlooks the ocean and the waves create the most peaceful atmosphere. Be prepared though, this is an open air building. There are bats, geckos, insects, chickens and cows nearby. It was great fun for my science loving kids. In some ways it is like a beachfront cabin except for the choice antiques and cultural decor. It is a unique experience, that cannot be found anymore. Franscisco and Anna the caretakers were so sweet. We will definitely come again.
• The Beach: Ballena is the only national marine park in Costa Rica. To the south of our house the beach tends to have a wider sand area and to the north, climbing over the hill through a small path you gain access to a very nice beach called Playa de Arco with beautiful views and totally isolated. • The small Islands in front of the beach (Ballena – in front and Tres Hermanas – to the left): There are many bird species that live on the island. If you go snorkeling (best during low tide) you can see the different fish and coral species that were a factor in selecting the site to be a national park. • Isla del Caño: About a 1.5 hour boat ride will take you to small island with great fishing area and nice beaches. • Delta: A few miles to the south of Ballena lies the largest delta in America on the Pacific side (about 50 Km wide). You can rent a boat and see the mangrove wildlife and can go as far as you want into the different channels and parts of it. Going south towards the delta, you pass along a beach called Playa Ventanas. This beach has natural windows/ holes in the rocks interesting to see. If you go by car, just go south on the road, pass Ventanas and the entrance towards Ojochal, about 1 km after the bridge you will be able to see the north side of the delta. • Colonial/banana plantation houses in Palmar Sur: Airport area (front and particularly behind or back road). • Pre-Columbian rock spheres: In Palmar Sur. You can see them in the park (in front of the airport) and further south (on the road to Sierpe). • Corcovado National Park: To the south, at the Peninsula de Osa, you can find the Corcovado National Park. About 1.5 hours by boat. There are very nice beaches in that area and you could visit the park, have lunch in Bahía Drake (Drake’s Bay) or any of the small hotels in the area. • Horseback Riding or Hiking: You can ride on the beach or go to the mountains at the back of the house. The caretakers can arrange for that and be your guide. You can also visit the waterfalls close to Uvita or the largest ones close to Tinamastes del Baru, between San Isidro and Dominical – there is a tour on horseback that you could schedule on the way from San Isidro to Dominical. • Sightseeing: The caretakers can take you hiking in the mountains (you can shorten the time by driving part of the way) and there are different small roads that you can access by car with incredible views. If you visit the Dominical area, there are various small roads that go parallel to the coastal road but on the upper part of the mountains. This is a very nice drive to do on an afternoon before the sunset. • Waterfalls: There are several waterfalls in the area that the caretakers can guide you to. • Fishing, sailing, boating, kayaking, and water skiing: The caretakers can direct you to the right people in Bahía to contract for these services. You can also find these services in Dominical. • Scuba Diving and Snorkeling: There is a nice shop in the Ventanas small strip mall (about 5 min. south of Ballena, behind the Gas Station). They rent equipment and give lessons also. • Surfing: Dominical is a very nice surfing beach but be careful if you are a beginner. There are at least two surf shops in the village and you can inquire about their services. There are other beaches and particular spots between Dominical and Ballena; - one of them is Dominicalito and the beach south of it. Have in mind that most of the areas are better during high tide. • Ultra-Light Planes: In Uvita/Bahia you can schedule a ride on the Ultra-Light Planes. This will give you a good idea of the area from the air.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
Rates are subject to change until reservation is confirmed. IMPORTANT NOTE ON RESERVATION DEPOSITS: Reservation deposits are normally not refundable, unless we find an equivalent client for the reserved dates - in which case reservation deposits will be applied to the re-booking reservation.