The beautiful and historic 1801 Armstrong House is located just two miles from Hamilton, NY and Colgate University. It was fully renovated in 2009, the house sleeps 12 comfortably.
This property encompasses 70 acres along the Chenango River. The 1801 Armstrong House is one of the oldest houses in Madison County’s Chenango Valley, part of the homeland of the Oneidas of the Iroquois Nation.
Enjoy 4 bedrooms (Master bedroom on main floor), a spacious living room, a large eat-in kitchen that seats 16, and 2-1/2 baths. Relax in the sunroom (which can be used as another bedroom) and on the huge deck with gas grill overlooking the canal and Chenango River. Recline and watch a movie from the media library in the large TV room. Free internet/WIFI and dog friendly. Good biking, hiking and trout fishing. Fine country living - perfect for entertaining or a peaceful retreat. Available year round for weekends or weekly rentals.
Upstairs, the house has 3 bedrooms with closets, dressers, side table and lamps, and a full bath:
• One large BR has a queen bed and three windows.
• Another large BR has two queen beds and two windows.
• The small bedroom has a double bed and one window.
The main floor has:
• a Master Bedroom has a queen bed and a full bath
• a large entertainment room with a 40" Samsung HDTV with DirectTV satellite service powered by a Pioneer/Infinity 5.1 audio system with Blue Ray/ DVD player, and has a leather reclining sofa, a recliner chair, an easy chair, a desk & chair, coffee and side tables
• a sunroom (which can function as the fifth bedroom) has a double futon sofa, large desk and numerous chairs.
• a large living room / dining room (open floor space); the side door/porch has three steps to the hard top walkway to the barn and driveway.
• a centrally located half bath
• a huge country kitchen with gas range/oven and microwave, with a large expandable oak table and another built-in table; combined table seating for 16.
• the traditional front hallway
• a giant deck (500 s.f.) with large grill, wood dining table, side table and seating for 12, and Adirondack style chairs for lounging. The deck overlooks the feeder canal, canal path, and the Chenango River valley below to the opposing ridge. The deck also has 3 steps down to the walkway to the barn.
The 1801 Armstrong House also has:
• free local and long distance phone service, and internet/WIFI service.
• an interesting library
• a powerful audio system in the living room
• an historic barn with lots of parking space on the driveway
• portable airbed and cots
• birdfeeder and side porch with antique bench
• herb garden
• hammock under the red maple tree, great for naps
• a large picnic pavilion / pole barn next to the Chenango River and the lower field that has a campfire ring, many chairs and benches, picnic table, and gas grill. The picnic pavilion has a number of cots and a sofa for guests who wish to overnight there and listen to the sounds of the river.
• and a few good fishin’ and swimmin’ holes!
The 1801 Armstrong House is dog friendly (we had a golden retriever), and many of our guests like to bring theirs. We have a dog feeding station in the laundry room, and a dog tub and hose if they get really dirty or into something adventurous. There's lots of room for them to have fun outside. We have related dog supplies, if necessary. (but no cats, please!)
You may want to see if any of your Colgate student's teammates/friends are having their parents coming into town for the weekend, and if they'd want to share the place with you. Or, you may want to entertain some other parents for a pre- or post-game/event gathering.
Of course, if you want it to a quiet, private get away, you'll have the place to yourselves. It's very peaceful and relaxing, and just two miles to campus, a nice bike ride.
The house and grounds are spacious and has hosted some group get togethers and team dinners and gatherings. You've got plenty of space to enjoy: 70 acres to wander and explore with fields, woods, trails, riparian wetlands, the historic feeder canal and towpath, the beaver pond, and a long stretch of the Chenango River with plentiful wildlife. Relax and experience some fine country living.
We do offer a number of rate discounts based on dates and other circumstances so please contact us and we’ll discuss it with you! Some special weekends have premium pricing.
The address of The 1801 Armstrong House is 6354 Armstrong Road, Hamilton NY 13346 if you want to Google directions/location. When you make your reservation and deposit, I can put you in touch with our property manager and you can coordinate your arrival with him. He can show you The 1801 Armstrong House, give you the keys, and help you with your stay.
Our mailing address is 606 Bennington Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
Thank you very much for staying at the 1801 Armstrong House!