|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee
Relax into nature and all of the blessings of Hawaii at PapaLani Farm (which means Heavenly Earth Mother in Hawaiian). We are located 30 miles south of Kailua Kona…
• Serene 13+ acre organic avocado and macnut farm with an abundance of tropical fruit trees, veggies, herbs, flowers & berries.
• Perfect year-round climate, at 1600 ft. above sea level on the side of Mauna Loa Volcano (the most massive, active volcano on Planet Earth!).
• Savor the seclusion and quiet, away from the crowds and resorts.
• 4 miles from the closest place to jump in the ocean
• 15-minutes to Ho'okena Beach State Park for sunbathing and swimming with dolphins
• 20-minute drive brings you to the famous Pu'uhonua o'Honaunau (Place of Refuge) National Historic Park and Kealakekua Bay where you can kayak to Captain Cook's monument and snorkel with an endless variety of tropical fish and sea turtles & dolphins.
• 65 miles from Madame Pele's live action at Volcanos National Park
• 12 miles from KulaKai Caverns and Manuka State Park.
• Light hiking on the property where you can enjoy seeing all sorts of Hawaii's wildlife and plants.
• Explore the 30+ variety of fruit, nut trees & berries while at PapaLani, much of which is available for purchase during your visit, as well as fresh eggs from the chickens.
• If interested, you can learn how to become more sustainable… We practice vermiculture (worms), raising chickens, permaculture, Korean Natural Farming, composting, mulching, solar, water catchment, and more.
• Find a nice place to meditate & relax.
• Nikki is the land owner who also lives in an ohana on the property. She fully respects your privacy. She is happy to provide info about the farm, things to do, places to go, etc.
• The farm is a working organic farm, therefore farm work may be occurring during your stay, but again, your privacy is fully respected.
The Eco-cottage was built December 2012, with a combination of in and outdoor living…
• Outdoor living
• Covered outdoor kitchen with necessities to cook meals (full fridge, 2 burner stove, sink, dishes, utensils, blender, coffee-maker)
• Covered outdoor bamboo walled shower with viewing space to gaze at the stars with an evening shower.
• Composting toilet.
• 2 large bedrooms with separate entrances so you can rent one space or both:
• One room has a queen bed
• One room has bunk bed with full and twin mattresses.
• Large lanai (covered porch) with an ocean and farm view.
• In the winter time it can get cool at this elevation morning and night. A propane heater is available, but be sure to bring heavy socks or slippers and a thick sweatshirt or fleece.
• Everything is kept clean and tidy although it is mostly outdoors so there are geckos, creepy crawlers, and insects around.
• High speed internet and long distance phone services are provided.
• Full range of discounted spa services available on site for guests.
• Beach chairs, towels, & coolers available.
• Snorkel equipment available for $25/week.
• Our water source is 100% rainwater caught from the roof of our home and stored in catchment tanks. County water is made available to you in the kitchen for drinking.
• We have solar panels which are hooked to the grid right now to provide some of the electric.
Aloha I'm Nikki. PapaLani Farms has been a labor of love since 2003 for me. We also have 2 cats (Sweet Pea and Whitey)and 17 chickens who live here. I have been doing body work since 1990 and have owned and operated spas ever since. If you would like to set up your stay as a retreat/cleanse just let me know in advance and we can make that happen.
nikki purchased this cottage in 2003
I purchased this farm because i am interested in creating a sustainable life & peaceful country living. I love to know where my food is coming from and be involved in the process. I like being away from the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy the cycles of the moon. The farm is spacious and private and offers endless opportunities.
I enjoy the fruit trees, gardening, herbs, vermiculture, raising chickens, making mulch/compost, creating a beautiful and safe environment for people to explore themselves and their connection with nature.
Everybody should have this experience while on the big island. Nikki was an amazing host and we were picking fresh organic food within 5 minutes of our arrival. Our 5 year old had a great time feeding chickens and playing with sweet pea the cat.
It was so fun cooking outside in the kitchen amongst the sounds of frogs, and enjoying the peace of the island. Can't wait to go back!
We had a lovely time at the Eco-Cottage on the Papalani farm. Nikki was lovely to deal with, very prompt in corresponding and very kind and considerate while we were there. The accommodation was very comfortable and the kitchen area had everything we needed. Would definitely stay there again.
Though not a "5-star hotel" the Eco-Cottage was clean and comfy. Nikki was a great host; always willing to chat or answer questions about Hawaii and it's abundant tropical fruits, flowers and nuts. At the same time, she did not impose on our privacy. The avacados were ripe, large and so yummy! If you get a chance to have some of the farm bananas, do it! They may be small, but are tasty too! I also found out I have a taste for lilikoi (or passion fruit) also grown on her farm. Loved the outdoor shower and all stars visible at night. The location means a bit of driving to get to many of the beaches, but it was closer to the sights we saw further to the south. Overall a great stay. Thanks Nikki!
We had a great time staying at the cottage. The farm is beautiful and a great option for those who wish to vacation out of "condo land". You must be open minded in order appreciate this great place. The outdoor kitchen is equipped with everything needed to make meals, and even helpful extras. The rooms are cute and cozy and sitting on the lanai with sweet pea can become an addiction! The outside shower is liberating and peaceful! The only reason for 4 stars was the driveway up to the cottage. We were there during an unusual rainy week and the driveway is uphill and through the farm. There was no way our small rental car would make it up, but we were able to park at the main house. The usual property manager was out of town when we stayed, but they were nice and accommodating and knowledgeable about the surrounding area. There were some things that could have used maintenance, the light in the commode was out and the pathway to it was a little nutty/rocky. However, it was nothing that would deter us from returning here or recommending. We would like to return when Nikki is present to enjoy Papalani to full extent! The location is about an hour drive from Kona but is great for being central to many locations that are a must see. This place is perfect for the adventurous at heart who actually want to see Hawaii in all of it's beauty!
When the directions include "turn at the fifth avocado tree" you know you're in for an amazing stay, and it was!! the property is immersed in a lush garden and farm, you're surrounded by the verdant nature of Hawaii, at night the stars shine and the frogs sing! the eco-cottage is certainly no 5-star hotel; the kitchen is rustic and the bathroom and dry toilet are outside -- but if you are willing to "roughing it out" a bit, you're rewarded with an oasis of tranquility. We got to taste fresh eggs, bananas and macadamia directly from the farm (unfortunately it wasn't avocado season!). Nikki was super easy to communicate with -- even though she was not there during our stay, she arranged our arrival and gave us all the necessary information. Her friend who was staying at the farm while she was away was also very welcoming and helpful. While the location isn't as close to the beach as you may hope, it's still very convenient. Loved it!
What I liked most about this place was the quiet peacefulness and beauty of being surrounded by nature. I loved sitting on the front porch and just drinking in the beauty of the nature with my morning coffee. It is 15 to 20 minutes from some of the best beaches on the Island. I found Nikki warm, friendly and very accommodating. If you are looking for a place of no frills rustic simplicity in nature this is the place.
Some things you can enjoy in the area within a very short drive include:
swimming with the dolphins in 4 bays, hiking at Manuka State Park or on the property, Hiking to Honomolino Beach where Elvis made the movie 'girls, girls, girls' is only 4 miles drive away. There south point, green sand beach, black sand beach, golfing, snorkeling at the best spots in Hawaii, Kayaking, coffee farm tours & Kulakai Caverns where you can go into some super large lava tubes.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add $20 per night, per additional guest|
|Refundable damage deposit||$125|
|linen fee extra person||$20 + Tax|
|cleaning per room||$40 + Tax|
2 people can rent the whole cottage for $88/night or 2 people can rent just one of the rooms for only $66/night -with possible neighbor & share a kitchen/bath or rent the cottage for up to 4 people for $109 and additional people $20/night. christmas/ny week $20 extra/night.
please specify your preference in your request &/or call me if you are confused 808-328-0181 (Hawaii time zone).