About the property
- House850 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay30 nights
2 BR, 1 BA, sleeps 4, 30 day min (unless calendar shows shorter opening)
This cozy 1940's sunny Cottage served as the Architect owner's home while he designed and built his new home in 2006 on the nearby footprint of a historic home lost to a fire in 1970. Accessed by a quiet one-lane alley, it is within a 10 min walk through this great neighborhood to our vibrant downtown and UNCA. Also within a mile to the Interstate, YMCA, Grocery stores and dozens of restaurants, microbreweries and coffee shops.
Wood floors and windows, under mature trees, and surrounded by lush landscaping in a neighborhood full of lovingly restored homes and B&B's.
Fully equipped kitchen (DW, utensils, pots/pans, etc.), W/D, queen plus 2 twin beds, 2 sets of linens, comforters, desk, satellite TV, wireless internet, and all utilities included. Private 12mb wireless network is shared with my adjacent carriage house.
The Cottage is on one level, includes a gas log fireplace, vaulted ceilings and skylights, a side porch with gas grille, and a nice secluded lawn with chairs.
7 DAY MIN stay, unless you see gaps between reservations in the calendar. Perfect for relocations, or rented along with the adjacent Carriage House (Homeaway #139941) with family or friends coming to town for a group vacation. Parking for one car in front of the cottage, with shared additional space in front of the carriage house. The alleyway and driveway are narrow, so larger vehicles will be tight.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 16, 2018
About Michael McDonough
Architect and single parent of two college age boys, I am active in local issues, vice president of the neighborhood association, active in sports, avid biker. I live and work next door.
Michael McDonough purchased this House in 2002
Why Michael McDonough chose Five Points
Perfect blend of privacy and convenience.
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
The guest house is clean, cozy, and comfortable. It is in a quiet location in a walkable neighborhood close to downtown. Our hosts were friendly and accommodating and the cottage is very well appointed. We liked it so much that we extended our stay! We will definitely be back!
Wonderful space! Tidy, cozy, private, and perfectly tucked away near downtown. Recommend to anyone looking for a home away from home in Asheville.
Historic cottage close to Downtown
My wife and I stayed at the Carriage House for a month, and it's a most enjoyable place to appreciate lively downtown Asheville. It's eight minutes walking to the Grove Arcade, and a few more minutes to anywhere downtown. The flat is homey, the kitchen is cozy and comfortable, bathrooms are basic but workable. One bedroom is huge, the other smaller but fine for a couple. We loved the upper deck outside and we would have our coffee there every morning in complete privacy.
The stack washer dryer worked fine [noisy in the spin cycle!] and the TV was digital. We brought our own Roku Box and the cable had the normal 68 [?] channels. Internet was excellent - about 50 mbps.
The driveway will NOT take a large SUV like a Suburban, but our medium sized SUV was fine.
Michael our host was most accommodating, and there if you need him.
The three local restaurants are great....Tods, Chiesa and Nine Mile are all very popular with the locals.....great food, reasonable prices.
Stayed here for two months this spring. Loved it. Perfect location, close to everything. Cottage well equipped, and owner family was very attentive to our needs. Very clean. Difficult parking, but doable. Two great restaurants steps away.
The location is excellent
Pros for the cottage:
1) Location 5 stars. Being able to walk downtown or to Harris Teeter or Trader Joe's was amazing. It was especially helpful when there was a foot of snow on the ground and cars were snowed in. Plus the Montford area was wonderful to walk through.
2) Cottage itself 4 stars. It was very comfortable and the furnishings were good. Overall it was in a quiet area. And it was very clean.
1) Parking 1 star. I give it one star because there is off street parking. However it is very tough to get in and out of the parking area. I had a compact SUV and as careful as I was (and I was VERY careful) I scrapped my bumper. A much smaller car might be fine. Also there are only 3 spaces. One for each unit and an extra. When I was there there were two cars at the carriage house so no extra space for visitors.
2) When I was there the cottage was missing a coffee maker and tea kettle. I brought my own. There was a small French press.
3) Dog barking - for those sensitive to dog barking there are 3 dogs 2 houses down and when they are out they are barking loudly. Also the owner had what I call a yapper - a small dog with an annoyingly loud bark. It would come out all hours of the day and night and run to the fence by the cottage and bark at nothing.
4) Wireless - it was fast but shared between the two units. If the other unit was using something bandwidth intensive like Netflix the wireless slowed down to a crawl. There was a backup wireless that was much slower but when the faster wireless network was down for a big chunk of time this slow link was used by both units and by someone at the main house. It was very slow at times too.
Would I stay here again? No the parking is too difficult to use. It might be OK with a much smaller car.
Would I recommend this to others? No
As noted, the driveway coming from the single lane alleyway between two stone walls is snug. If you have a SUV or larger, beware.
I prefer (and expect) that guests will only have one car. This is a historic neighborhood with carriage houses, stone walls, gardens and large trees, so extra parking is a luxury.
If something is missing, such as a coffee maker, I will gladly walk across the lawn with a replacement if I am made aware of it. Sometimes the cottage turns over in one day and I don't notice missing kitchen things.
The 12mb wireless network is shared with the carriage house. I was unaware the capacity was insufficient, I will investigate upgrading.
This is a fairly dense and active neighborhood near downtown, so expect the usual sounds of dogs, garbage trucks, kids playing, etc.
Quiet & Cozy!
My husband and I stayed here for a month, with our 3 year old son. It was very quiet, comfortable and had everything we needed. Greenlife and Trader Joe's are within walking distance, and there are plenty of parks and trails nearby. The location is perfect for getting to know Asheville. Everything was clean and cozy, and the owner was very helpful. I'd definitely recommend this rental!
Within walking distance to UNCA, Downtown, Grocery stores, restaurants.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
$400 damage deposit ask about multiple month discount