Private Hillside Guest House, 1 Bedroom + Sleeper Sofa, 1 Bath (Sleeps 2-4)
Jay and Helen Marsh
- english, spanish
About Jay and Helen Marsh
Jay is originally from the Catskill Mountain region of upstate New York, and Helen is a native Southern Californian, but her family recently immigrated from Ecuador. We are excited to be sharing our property with guests because we enjoy sharing our small piece of serenity with those seeking the same.
Jay and Helen Marsh purchased this Guest House in 2015
Why Jay and Helen Marsh chose Bonsall
Bonsall, located in North San Diego County, is the ideal place to raise a family with exceptional schools and large estate-like properties that offer abundant open space and natural landscapes. We also wanted to find a home that was unique in character and offered impressive views. This house exceeds those requirements and also came with existing additional dwelling units that could be rented. We also enjoy the fact that Bonsall is a very small community (3500 people) but is located within 15 minutes of Escondido, Temecula, Vista, and San Marcos. These adjacent communities provide many of the conveniences of major urban settings, but we get to enjoy them without having to live within the urban environments.
What makes this Guest House unique
The architectural design and the method of construction make this a very customized home. The original owners were also the designers and the builders and they sought to create a multi-generational housing system that was focused on energy efficiency, fire resistant, and maximized the views from each and every space on the property while preserving the privacy for each dwelling unit. The main house has enough space to comfortably raise our family, the garage has a 2 bedroom apartment that is occupied by a long term tenant, and the guest house is a 1 bedroom apartment that we have set aside for short term occupancy. In addition to the living structures, the property has 15 acres, of which about 2/3 is readily use-able. Prior to the house being constructed, the land was used as a commercial lime grove and evidence remains of this operation throughout the property. In fact, most of the trees are still surviving but only produce marginal fruit quality because of the limited water offered to the grove. The old grove house foundation can be seen on the far side of the property, but the county required it to be torn down prior to allowing the main house to be built because of septic system designs.
Please consider the following guidelines when booking this property:
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
Great Cottage on top of the World
Quiet, secure property conveniently locate to highways. Everything it was described to be. Can't rate the kitchen as we didn't do any cooking. Our hosts were friendly including their dog.
Wonderful hosts. Spectacular views. Very comfortable and quiet.
A step above the clouds and our expectations.
We arrived Saturday afternoon to this beautiful estate on top of the mountain on a fantastic day. The views are astounding from most every window, the view in the bedroom is such a blessing to wake up to every morning. Jay and Helen are friendly and gracious hosts and occasionally check to ensure your stay is going well. The rental/home is equipped with everything you need. There is a barbecue we used several times, fantastic. It is close to the Ocean, San Diego Safari Park In Escondido, we drove through the desert that was scenic and when to the observatory on top of Palomar Mountain. We had a fantastic stay just wished could have stayed longer.
Thanks, Mr and Mrs. Marsh.
Well Beyond Expectations!!! A+++++
So I wanted a less expensive place to stay so I selected this place....I was going to be there a week because my son was at a football camp in Carlsbad...30 minutes away. Let me tell you the 30 minutes each way every day was nothing as I was excited to return to my mini retreat home! This could really be advertised as a place for a mini retreat and they can double or triple their price. The views are breath taking...the sunset amazing! As for the unit, A+. Clean and modern. Kitchen with everything you need...Nice living room with amazing views....beautiful bedroom with amazing views... and I loved the large shower in the bathroom with strong water pressure...I would extend my shower as it was so nice. For sleeping arrangements....the queen bed in the bedroom was sooooo comfortable. You could tell it was high quality. The sofa bed in the living room was great too. It's unusual as they have a deflated air bed in the sofa....you pull it out, plug it in and it inflates. The first night wasn't that comfortable as it was a little uneven, but the next night we put the air mattress on the floor and my son LOVED it....he said it was so comfortable. My son also became fast friends with the goats. I think if I ever need to get away to get my head together (I'm from NH), I would come to this amazing retreat house! One more thing, I was sitting out one early morning just enjoying the view and meditating, and 2 humming birds appeared and hovered over a flowered bush....magical! Jay and Helen were great too : )
My husband and I stayed here over 4th of July week and really enjoyed it! We spent half of the time here in Bonsall and the other half of the time in downtown SD which was a perfect blend of quiet, romantic nature escape and downtown city experience. Even though I list several cons, none of them were big enough for me to rate anything less than 5 stars. Overall, we really enjoyed staying there and would definitely come back again!
- The house sits on top of the mountain and has gorgeous views. It reminded me so much of Tuscany! You can see the sunset over the mountains every night. And we had fog one morning as well that was really pretty. I loved sitting on the deck at night with a glass of wine and having morning coffee.
- Very quiet and peaceful
- Pretty nature/landscaping
- Spacious open-concept dining and kitchen area.
- The property owners have goats that are pretty cute and friendly!
- The property is very kid-friendly as well; swingset on property
- The house is definitely outdated, but it has a rustic charm that we liked.
- The house does not have a dishwasher or garbage disposal. Not a huge deal but it's an inconvenience to have to wash the dishes.
- The big couch was so uncomfortable we could not even sit on it. A new couch needs to be purchased ASAP!
- The tv remote didn't work that well and we had issues connecting so we were never able to watch tv.
- There is no tv in the bedroom. Some people do not have tvs in their bedrooms so this may not be a big deal. But we love to watch out shows before we go to bed so it was kind of a bummer. Again, not a biggie though.
- The house is the owners guest house, thus you meet the owners when you arrive. I know some people do not like to meet the owners of the VRBO homes but they were very friendly and helpful. We only saw them a couple of times. Every day we came home the french doors were open which was kind of odd. The weather is so beautiful so you can leave the windows and doors open but some people may not like that. It didn't bother us, but you don't have 100% complete and total privacy.
- The house is in Bonsall which is pretty far from everything. Every place we went to took at least 30 - 45 minutes to get there. We didn't mind, because we enjoyed driving around and seeing the different neighborhoods and viewing the scenery. But you're definitely not in the mix. This a place to book if you are looking for something quiet and away from the hustle and bustle.
Nice Cozy Place !
Jay and Helen were great hosts!! It was perfect for me and my Mom.They responded to any needs quickly. We really enjoyed the quiet and peaceful atmosphere. If you're looking for a secluded and cozy place to relax then I would recommend this place. We would stay here again!
San Diego Wild Animal Park, San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Gas Lamp District, Temecula Wine Country, LEGOLAND, Sea World San Diego, Coronado Island, Disney Land, Los Angeles, Hollywood, Catalina Island