|Space||1,800 sq. ft.|
|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
This is a unique property at 4900 feet elevation. It is always at least 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding towns of Cashiers, Highlands and Franklin. There are ceiling fans in every room. The views from the covered porch are breathtaking, sunset is gorgeous and romantic while dining outside. The colors of fall are mesmerizing. A prime location perfectly situated close to Cashiers, Highlands and Franklin where you can enjoy hiking and waterfalls, wonderful cuisine, activities and shopping. Antiques galore in these quaint towns and Franklin, right off of US 441. Quick trips to Asheville, Cherokee, Pigeon Forge. Just 2.5 hours from Atlanta, 3 from Charlotte, 3 from Chattanooga. Even winter is fun, warm fires, snowy mountains and quiet towns to shop in. Summers are full of outdoor activity including pontoon boats on Lake Glenville, rafting on any of the rivers nearby, great hiking everywhere, even from the back door. Restaurants, live performances, craft fairs, farmer's markets, antique shops, unique clothing stores, fun for kids and pets! Music festivals most weekends. Kayak on the surrounding lakes or rent jet skis on Lake Keowee in South Carolina. Take a day trip to the Biltmore and do some wine tasting or go horseback riding or even zip lining. See where the Hunger Games was filmed in Pisgah National Forest. There is something to do no matter what your interest or age. Take a trip to our beautiful mountains and find out how to relax in paradise!
Keywords: Cabin in the woods, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, fireplace, gorgeous year round views, 4900 foot elevation, covered porch- part screened. Open kitchen/dining/living area. Sleeps 10. Don't miss this vacation paradise in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. Surrounded by Cashiers, Highlands, Franklin, Cullowhee, Sylva, Dillsboro, Cherokee, Asheville. Hiking, boating, golf, tennis, waterfalls, zip lining, wonderful restaurants, theatre, arts center, library, etc. Included in rental- DirecTV, wireless internet, local phone. Full kitchen and laundry, plenty of firewood.
I am a local chiropractor. I moved here 10 years ago to be in the mountains where I can hike, bike, swim, kayak any time I want. I have 5 dogs that go everywhere with me, even when I rent somewhere else from VRBO! The towns of Cashiers, Highlands and Franklin are not only places where I work but places that I love.
Sue Aery, Owner purchased this house in 2005
I found this house on an internet site and immediately fell in love with its location and serenity. The breezes are hypnotic and the woods and mountains are a relaxing environment without being too far from anything. I love waking up to the sounds of the trees and smelling the soft fragrances of whatever wildflower is in bloom. The blackberries are ripe for picking in July to August and they are sweet and wonderful!
What I like most about my property is the seclusion, access to hiking and the proximity to my three favorite towns for shopping, entertainment and restaurants. The local community is wonderful, there are so many events to choose from whether you like music, arts, outdoor sports, you name it! Is just a great place with a great feel, come visit us!
My family stayed at Catspaw for the Thanksgiving holiday and had the absolute best time! The cabin was everything we needed and so much more! Sue gave us detailed directions that made getting to the cabin super easy! We did not need a 4wheel drive car--and in fact did not have any issue with the roads or driveway! The cabin was equipped with everything we needed to make a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We drove into both Cashiers and Highlands and found both very accessible from the cabin! It was extremely clean and well kept. From our family to yours we thank you for an incredible holiday weekend! We plan to make this a tradition and cannot wait to come back to Catspaw!
Wonderful property that is near the end of the road (2 other properties up hill – one within 100’ of the back of the home and the other across the road). It has 2 downstairs bedrooms and one upstairs master. If you are a Jacuzzi tub sort, the master has one. The place is pet friendly and even has a small fenced in area in the back of the home. The place has most of the basics and all in all is a great place to unwind.
Things to be aware of:
• The internet is a satellite service. Weather can impact it. Also, the owners do not want you to stream or have a great deal of traffic on it as their plan is a pay for GB service. If you are looking to use Vudu, Hulu or stream your movies, this could result in extra charges for you.
• I could not get the internet to connect to a cloud based sharepoint service nor could I get it to connect to Cnn.Com or, if I could, I could not select one of the pages. I benchmarked the speed and the download ranged between 2-4 mbps and upload was t 0.10 – 0.14 mbps.
- No AC – Not that you need it – the temp ran between 67-74 indoors while we visited. If this is a concern for you, just be aware.
- Neighbors are close (back porch to back porch is about 100’). Yes it is quiet and that is due to the neighbors being very considerate. When they talk or run a vacuum, you can hear it and the home is close to the screen porch in the back. (Our luck is we always have someone running a circular saw at any property we visit and this trip was no exception but work and maintenance must be done!). To be clear, it was very tranquil and quiet. The bugs at night make more noise than anything!
- There are two entrances to the home. The first when you see the home number and then the next left after. The first has big wheel ruts in it right now and need to be graded. I recommend using the uphill drive entrance. NOTE: if you have a standard car the uphill entrance does have a channel that water has carved due to drainage. You will want to approach it at an angle. (see next note). We have a Chrysler 200 and got stuck in the first entrance and almost grounded in the uphill entrance. If the owner regrades the drive, this won’t be an issue.
- Higher clearance or 4wd/Awd vehicles are better suited for accessing this property.
Overall: Was just what we needed - quiet and relaxing.
We loved our stay at this mountain top house. The house is beautiful and all was well prepared for our stay. Keep in mind that this is rather secluded place with about 30 min drive to nearest stores.
We had a wonderful time at Catspaw even though the weather didn't show us any favors. The cabin is awesome with everything you need for the stay. There was only 2 of us for the weekend but it would easily accommodate 2 more couples with ease. The views were fantastic. We would definitely recommend this cabin!!
Our stay was everything we hoped it would be. We especially loved sitting out on the back porch; the view was beautiful! The owner was very easy to communicate with and prompt in answering any questions we had. One small problem we had was rectified easily and quickly. The roadway up to the house is quite long, so you want to be prepared with any food items you might need because running to the store isn't a great option. :) We love the area and would surely consider Catspaw for a future trip to the mountains.
The house was very quiet and isolated: 1.5 mile long narrow private gravel road to reach black top; 8 minutes by car; 30 min walk. The house was very dark .. little sun light and poor interior lighting. View from porch was very limited due to trees. Two queen beds very comfortable; the third very uncomfortable mattress. Driving time to Cashiers or Franklin, the two closest towns, was 35 minutes. Internet usage was very limited as was cell phone coverage. Would not rent this property again.
Natural waterfalls are unique to this area of the Smoky Mountains. Access to the Bartram Trail nearby, this is part of the Appalachian Trail. Within a 90 minute drive you can visit Cherokee, Pigeon Forge, Asheville, The Biltmore, Zip lining, Rafting, Smoky Mountain Performing Arts Center and much much more.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Property Damage Protection||$59|
|Refundable damage deposit||$350|
For credit card purchases there is an additional fee of 4% that will be deducted from your deposit upon refund after your stay. Please note this or pay by check or echeck and avoid extra charges.
Plus fees that apply: cleaning, pet, damage deposit.
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.