Elegant seaside cape-style house perched at the top of a curving drive overlooking the waters of Mahone Bay. Located in the charming village of Martin’s River, minutes from the Town of Mahone Bay, Hill House is an historic home filled with elegance and atmosphere. Built circa 1796, this historic property retains many early features including wide-board floors, two-over-two windows with old glass, six-panel doors, two fireplaces (nonworking) , elaborate mantelpieces and trim, built-in dish cupboard, unique curving staircase, and window ‘lights’ over the front door.
A large deck at the front of the house facing SE overlooks the river and ocean bay, a perfect spot for a morning coffee or an evening cocktail cooled by sea breezes. A smaller deck at the back facing SW off the kitchen gathers all the sun of the day, a place to glory in the sunset over the three-acre meadow and pond. Two small barns with bright red doors house canoes and bicycles, and a walk down the lawn leads to the wharf with floating dock, and deep-water mooring. In summer the river, which is lovely for swimming, and the ocean basin are filled with beautiful sailboats, and the Annual Martin’s River Regatta (Labor Day Saturday) is a race for classic sailboats, large and small, around the islands of Mahone Bay.
The house, 2000 sf of living space, has living room, dining room, library, study, kitchen, mudroom and two full baths on the first floor with high ceilings, and three charming bedrooms and a powder room on the second floor, tucked under the eaves of the long sloping roof. The entry on the driveway side opens to the mudroom with washer, dryer, and laundry sink, coat storage, and a full bath. The dining room, the largest room in the house, has high ceilings, chandelier overtop a long dining table (seats 8-10), three windows with long French curtains overlooking the front deck and views, a corner cupboard, and a charming built-in dish cupboard. The living room, equally elegant, has a long red, curving sofa for ample seating, a collection of books on art and architecture, and a wide screen LG Smart TV and stereo. From the living room two doors open to the long library with its built-in bookcase filled with history, poetry, fiction, classics and current events. Board games and puzzles, along with bar glassware are housed in a large armoire, and a classic sofa and wing chairs as well as a table for deskwork, complete the library furnishings. A separate study contains music library and a synthesizer keyboard. (Upright, acoustic piano is in the dining room.) The eat-in country kitchen has windows on three sides with views to the water, a Jotul woodstove, and a doorway to the back deck with BBQ, sun umbrella, casual seating, and nearby woodshed. A second full bath is accessed from the kitchen, and there is also a door to informal pantry shelves and the staircase to the full-height basement at ground level.
The original front entry door with transom window ‘lights’ opens onto the small front foyer and a curving staircase leads to the second floor. Three cozy bedrooms upstairs have sleeping accommodations for 5-6 persons and are beautifully furnished and decorated. The smaller guest bedroom boasts a queen bed, with a window that looks out to sea. The larger guest bedroom contains a king-size bed and a window toward the bay. The large master bedroom (combined from two smaller rooms) is ample in size with a king bed 9new Stearns and Foster mattresses), antique bureau, dressing table, and two draped windows overlooking the barns and the river. A small 2 pc. powder room on the second floor is a convenience to guests at nighttime.
Hill House is furnished with old and new – newer beds and furnishings complemented by lovely antiques and original paintings. A plentiful supply of pillows, all-cotton sheets and fluffy towels create a comfortable experience.
Local stores, pubs, and cafes carry fresh produce and baked goods, coffee and craft beers. Eat in or explore the excellent restaurants of Mahone Bay, Lunenburg and Chester, just a short drive away.
Great local beaches include Sandy Cove, Hirtle’s Beach, Crescent Beach on Green Bay, Risser’s Beach, Beach Meadows, and the unbelievably gorgeous Carter’s Beach (an hour away) for long strolls. The swimming in our river is deep and lovely and we now have a swim ladder for the floating dock so you can get in and out easily. However, since the water depth just at the end of our dock can be as little as 2 ft. at low tide, we recommend keeping an eye on the tides and take your swims at high tide or thereabouts. The tide differential in Martin's River is approximately 5 feet, from high tide to low tide, greater at full moon. We have four canvas folding lounge chairs on the wharf for enjoying the river ambience and the neighbors' boats coming and going.
Details of the property:
Three Bedrooms - all on second floor
• Small Bedroom (queen bed), ocean view
• Guest Bedroom (king bed), ocean view
• Master Bedroom (king bed), river view
• 2 pc powder room
• Ocean facing views of Martin’s River and Mahone Bay
• Comfortable seating
• Antique furnishings and original paintings
• Book on art and architecture, and collection of classical and choral CDs
• Large coffee table for board games and jigsaw puzzles
• Smart TV and stereo/DVD system
• Antique corner cupboard and built-in dish cupboard
• Large dining table (w/ removable leaves) seats 8 to 10
• Upright piano
• Beautiful custom-designed bookshelves with collection on history, poetry, fiction
• Sofa and two wing chairs for lounging or reading or quiet conversation
• Armoire with barware and games
• Large glassware cupboard
• Antique table for study or computer work (WiFi)
• Fireplace (non-working)
• Bookshelves with music collection
• Writing desk with computer keyboard and synthesizer
• Windows with views to ocean and meadow; access to back deck
• Ample cabinetry with all cooking and dining supplies, and pantry
• Appliances: stainless steel stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, toaster oven, coffee maker, electric kettle, Cuisinart, blender, slow-cooker
• Antique 8' farm table with seating for 6-8
• Antique country table island for food prep
• Jotul (Little Bear) wood stove (wood in woodshed beside back deck)
• Bookshelf with sailing books
• 'Ladder' shelves of herbs and spices
• Cuisinart gas grill on back deck
• Two Bathrooms on Main Floor (both 3 pc with shower/tub)
• Powder Room on Second Floor (2 pc)
• Full height basement, unfinished (with boulder foundation and original cooking fireplace with iron pot crane)
• Picnic supplies and coolers
• Utilities access
• Exterior door
• Front deck with railing overlooks river and ocean. Adirondack chairs and bench. Have a morning coffee or evening cocktail watching the river flow by or the sailboats at their moorings.
• Back deck with gas grill and deck chairs/umbrella, nearby woodshed, views of meadow and pond, sunshine all day long, glorious sunsets, and spectacular star-gazing.
Wharf, floating dock with swim ladder, and deep-water mooring. Guest use of canoe, paddles, life-jackets.
Keywords: Seaside property, house, oceanfront, historic, cottage, farmhouse, heritage property