Semi-rustic setting, sleeps 8, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, wood-fired heating, BBQ
- english, french, german, spanish
About Mike Laurence
We are two brothers who both live in the UK. We both like Eastern Europe and we both enjoy things which are slighty off the beaten track. While travelling in Bulgaria in 2005, we fell in love with the slightly quirky Borovets ski resort and the nearby rural village of Raduil, with its quaint houses, fertile, well tended vegetable and fruit gardens and its tank and fighter jet on display on the main road. Before this trip we had seen a TV programme about buying holiday properties in Bulgaria. We contacted an estate agent and had a fascinating two days seeing many properties and getting the chance to meet the people who lived in them. We enjoy walking, bird watching and sightseeing and the Raduil area and Bulgaria generally, offers plenty of that. One of us enjoys reading and quiet time, the other, photography and skiing. We've visited the house at different times of the year so we've been able to appreciate the different seasons and they all have something to offer.
Mike Laurence purchased this House in 2005
Why Mike Laurence chose Samokov
Upon seeing the house, we knew this was the place for us. We had the house restored and upgraded and this was completed by 2008. Raduil is surrounded by beautiful countryside - the foothills of the Rila mountains. We like Raduil because you get a real taste of Bulgaria. You are not far from Borovets but you can get away from things here and escape the higher prices of holiday resorts. That said, Borovets is reasonably priced compared with many other European ski resorts. Plenty of birds come into the garden or fly overhead so if bird watching is your thing, you can start around the house and easily walk into the surrounding hills. We've had plenty of good sightings. There are plenty of outdoor activities from skiing at Borovets, to golf at Dolna Banya or Ihtiman or horse riding, mountain biking, the list goes on... But when you want nightlife, Borovets and other options are not far away. If you have a hire car, Sofia is not hard to get to for a day trip, or perhaps Plovdiv or the wonderful Rila Monastery.
What makes this House unique
Mavrud Lodge is on a quiet track towards the top of the village, with a large garden and barns which we have restored and put to use. With easy access to the main road and local amenities, its the perfect place. There's a terrace to sit on by the front door in the summer, and a 'summer kitchen' which is a covered BBQ area and can be used all year round. A barn with two floors and an open-sided barn were fascinating to restore and add character to the place. The bespoke and slightly quirky but very practical spiral oak staircase adds character as do the oak beams in the kitchen. In winter, the log fires require a little effort to keep going but we always enjoy this aspect of our holidays here, as do our friends. We've even had friends getting competitive over who should tend the fire!
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
Canceled bookings will not receive a refund
Perfect for what we needed.
We arrived late on Saturday night (we had a hire car) and was met by Mimi and Carmen who gave us a quick tour and showed us how things worked. The house was pretty easy to find. We were 6 adults (3 couples) so there was plenty of space. It was pretty cold over New Year but fire in the kitchen was more than sufficient to keep the house warm, and provide hot water for us all. The house and grounds are nice, peaceful and secure. The beds are comfy, with plenty of extra bedding. The showers were lovely and hot.
Radhuil is quiet and has a couple of nice restaurants. We visited Duarvo a couple of evenings. The guy in there speaks very good English, the food is tasty and the drinks are very cheap.
Borovets is about a 15 min drive from Radhuil. It costs about 40 LEV in a taxi (Carmen helped book us one).
Overall the house and location were perfect for what we needed. The hosts were super helpful leading up to our visit. And Mimi and Carmen were helpful during our stay.
We are pleased Claire and her group had an enjoyable stay and that the house was perfect for their needs.
The booking went very smoothly and communication was good. This helped us in making sure everything was in place for their holiday. Mimi (our housekeeper) and Kamen enjoy meeting our guests and are happy to help wherever they can to ensure a successful visit.
Raduil is a lovely village and we are in a peaceful location. To experience Bulgarian rural life first hand, with easy access to Borovets, this is a great place to be.
If you enjoy your stay at Mavrud Lodge, please tell your friends about us and we'd love to have you stay again!
Excellent, as described.
This house had everything we needed for our stay. There was a friendly welcome with a complementary basket full of essentials.
It was easy to start the fire each evening and it never got too cold. The stairs are narrow but we did expect this and was no issue. Perhaps an elderly guest would consider this.
Overall it was as described and the communication and assistance from the host and property management was excellent.
The previous reviewer must have been grumpy as I cannot see why they would give it such a bad review.
I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to my friends.
We are pleased our guests found our house ideal for their stay and enjoyed the friendly welcome they received. Good and suitable accommodation is a key part of a successful trip. We attach importance to this and do our best to convey and facilitate everything we offer.
Communication from our guests was very good and everything went smoothly. We look forward to having them stay again and we welcome their friends too!
Wir haben die Zeit von 28.12.15 bis 03.01.16 in Vila Mavrud in Raduil verbracht. Leider gab es einige Dinge, die uns während unseres Aufenthaltes negativ aufgefallen sind bzw. die wir bemängeln. In unseren Augen entsprachen die Gegebenheiten nicht ganz der Beschreibung im Internet.
1. Das Ess-/Wohnzimmer und die Küche befinden sich im ehemaligen Keller und sind als Gemeinschaftsraum für mehr als 4 Personen einfach zu eng.
2. Ein Kamin gab es nicht wirklich, vielmehr handelt es sich dabei um den Heizofen, der nachts mit Holz versorgt werden muss, damit die Heizung nicht ausgeht. Man kann nicht davor sitzen und das Miteinander genießen, dafür ist einfach kein Platz da.
3. Die Spülmaschine und der Heizkörper im großen Bad haben nicht funktioniert.
4. Es gibt Toiletten nur im Erdgeschoss. Das und die schmale, steile Treppe zwischen dem Erdgeschoss und 1. Ebene sind nicht altersgerecht. Mein 78- jähriger Vater und wir alle (zwischen 22 und 50 Jahre alt) haben damit mehr oder weniger Schwierigkeiten gehabt.
5. Die Betten sind für erwachsene Menschen zu klein.
6. Die Gesellschaftsspiele sind veraltet.
7. Auf dem kaputten Sofa kann man nicht nur nicht mehr schlafen, sondern auch nicht bequem sitzen.
8. Manche Töpfe sind in die Jahre gekommen, die beschichtete Pfanne und die Bleche ebenso (teilweise rostig), die Messer lassen sich nicht richtig schärfen, es gibt keine Salatschüssel.
9. Das warme Wasser ist schnell verbraucht, wenn z. B. die Badewanne 1x benutzt wird oder 2 Personen hintereinander geduscht haben.
Zusammenfassend stimmt das Preis- Leistungsverhältnis nicht.
We have been with HomeAway since 2008. This is our first negative feedback. We aim to attract guests who are happy to stay and who have an enjoyable holiday as a result. Our webpage gives sufficient information to make an informed decision and we will answer questions or provide advice before booking. We are a budget rental and our prices are set accordingly.
Our agents help ensure everything at the house is satisfactory. They provide assistance and are responsible for resolving issues quickly. They were not contacted during this visit. It is the responsibility of guests to report any problems as soon as possible.
1. The dining table accommodates 6 people with ease but can accommodate 8. There is sufficient seating. Groups of 8 people have stayed at the house and were happy with the facilities.
2. Wood-fired heating is common in rural Bulgaria. Our glass-fronted log burner is standard and offers improved safety, better efficiency and reduced smoke. We do not claim a large group can sit around the fire. Obviously the wood-fired boilers must be supplied with wood but when operated correctly, they are effective and should provide sufficient background heating overnight.
3. The dishwasher and the radiator should have been working but were not reported. We have since asked our agent to repair them.
4. The location of toilets is stated on our webpage. The spiral staircase is fit for purpose and is clearly shown in a photo. The stairs could present a problem for the elderly so we will update our information. Luggage is easily conveyed via the front door which is accessible by external steps.
5. The beds are not too small for adults - they are standard size.
6. Games and books are made available to our guests as a friendly gesture. Many people stay at the house and we cannot predict their tastes.
7. The sofa is not broken but our agents advise it could be upgraded. We will do this.
8. The kitchen utensils and dishes are appropriate for self catering holidays and are in good order.
9. The heating and hot water system works well if operated correctly. It is normal to allow some time for water to heat up between full baths. Showering should not be a problem. An electric water heater can be switched on to boost the system if required and we also have solar power.
We hope this addresses concerns of anyone considering renting our property. Please feel free to ask any questions. We love going there and know other like-minded people do too.
The nearest towns are Samokov (20km), Kostenets (15km), Dolna Banya, a small spa town (7km). Two monasteries - Pokrov Bogorodichen and Rila. The stunning Rila Monastery is a comfortable day trip by car, accessed by a circuitous road route around the Rila Mountains. There are medieval castle ruins (30km) between Kostenets and the Sofia-Plovdiv E80 motorway. The well known Borovets ski resort (11km) is a 15 minute drive from the house.
Other Activities: Spa pool
Golf: Quality golf is available in Ihtiman, about a 45 minute drive from Raduil. A prestigious new golf development in neighbouring Dolna Banya, a 15 minute drive, will be available in the future.
Ski: An 8km/15 minute drive from Mavrud Lodge, is one of Bulgaria’s prime ski resorts, Borovets, where you can hire skis and snowboards, get reasonably priced lessons, ski lift passes, and make use of hotel facilites, including massage, gym, pools, shops, bars, restaurants, cash machines and internet access.