|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
All year around luxury cottage in the south of Iceland.
The cottage has a great view of Eyjafjallajökull volcano and Hekla volcano. Beautiful northern lights in the winter time.
The house has a king size bed in the master bedroom. In the other 2 bedrooms there are queen size beds so that you can really unwind after an exciting day (or just stay in bed if that's your thing) The bathroom is spacious and the kitchen is fully equipped, including a big fridge, a dishwasher, a toaster and a coffee machine.
The 37“ TV has local stations as well as BBC News, DR1, Boomerang and some others. You can use the DVD player or hook your PC or USB device to the TV if you want to enjoy your own viewing material.
The terrace is very big so that you can really breathe in the fantastic mountain view of Eyjafjallajökull – the volcano that stopped air traffic in Europe in a big eruption in 2010 and Hekla, one of the biggest and best known volcanos in the world. In the winter time the northern lights are quite a sight, out of the light pollution of the towns/cities.
A big hot tub and an outdoor shower are on the patio – exceptional to relax in during the winter time or to unwind after a long day. In addition - if you are in the mood for a barbecue there is a gas grill right there on the patio for you to use.
There is always coffee and tea available when guests arrive and the house comes with a free high speed WiFi.
We charge a 100€ cleaning fee
We are an Icelandic couple. We've been married for 24 years and we have 3 kids, 22, 18 and 11 years old.
Most of the year we live in the capital area and use our cabin as our getaway.
We love travelling Sigurður has worked in various places around the world such as Norway, Hong Kong and Canada to name a few.
Ingibjörg Birna was born and raised in the area of Hvolsvollur, 2km from the cottage.
Sigurdur Kristjansson & Ingibjörg Birna Olafsdottir purchased this cottage in 2015
We bought the cottage mainly for 4 reasons:
1. It looks great
2. It is cozy and comfortable
3. It is a fantastic view of some of the major volcanos/mountains of Iceland
4. Ingibjörg was raised on a farm in this area and as a kid she actually looked after her fathers sheep where the cottage is now located.
The cottage is very well located in many ways.
1. It is relatively close to the Reykjavik capital area - 105km from the center of Reykjavik.
2. It is very close to the known Golden Circle tourist attractions. Only some 90 km from Geysir and Gullfoss - about 125km from the Blue Lagoon.
3. It is only 1km away from Highway 1 (the Ringroad)
4. It is very close to restaurants and shops in nearby villages. Hvolsvollur only 3km away and Hella some 9km
5. It is located only 1 km away from the known Hotel Ranga.
6. The cottage is litarally on the banks of one the best salmon rivers in the country.
7. Many great hiking areas are nearby such as Skogar, Thorsmork, Thingvellir
8. It is a great place to study the stars and the northern lights in the winter time.
9. Only 10km away from the ferry to Vestman Islands
We had THE BEST time at this cottage. It was clean and in perfect condition. We had all we needed and more. It provided a very authentic Icelandic experience. It's a little over an hour from most of the tourist attractions, but don't be discouraged, the trade off is absolutely stunning views of the northern lights. it's also about a 30 to 40 minute drive to a secret hot spring "Gamla Laugin", very authentic, and off the beaten tourist path. Cooking is the name of the game in Iceland as it can get pretty pricy. Again, not to worry, the cabin has all your cooking needs and a grocery store very close by. The owners were very kind and helpful. I would stay here again for sure.
It was spectacular... In every way... The owners were outstanding in communicating with us and went out of their way to assist us. The "cottage" to us was like being at home. It was outstanding... Cozy, comfortable and the location was ideal . The house is so complete with all the comforts of home, I forgot I was in Iceland... I wish we could have stayed longer. I highly recommend this property to be your first choice .. We actually drove to Jökulsárlón from there !
The cottage is right next to the river Eystri Rangá (1km from Hotel Ranga) which is one of Iceland´s best salmon fishing rivers. Salmon fishing in the river can be arranged for guests, if booked in due time.
The village of Hvolsvollur is only about 3 km away. There you‘ll find a swimming pool, a supermarket, a gas station, a liqueur store and restaurants.
Below is a list of the approx. driving distance to some main attractions:
- 30 minutes from Skógarfoss
- 1 hour from Þingvellir National Park
- 1 hour from Geysir and Gullfoss
- 3 hours from Jökulsárlón
- 15 minutes from Seljalandsfoss - waterfall
- 1 hour from Þórsmörk (only accessable on 4 wheel drive vehicles)
- 3 hours to Skaftafell National Park
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Jan 1 2017 - Dec 31 2017
2 night minimum stay
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
Please note the additional 100EUR cleaning fee
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.