|Minimum Stay||1 - 7 nights|
Welcome to the beautiful “Crabby Cottage”! Located in the heart of the Great Neck and Pleasure Beach in Waterford, the Crabby Cottage offers a little bit for everyone. Whether you want to “get away from it all,” or you’re looking for a central location where friends and family can enjoy the beach (including passes to a nearby private beach), Crabby Cottage is a great choice.
Fully furnished and offering four bedrooms, bath, and outdoor shower, our Cottage can accommodate up to eight people. Lounge and dine on the sprawling enclosed porch. Open kitchen seats up to nine. Soak in the ocean air and relax in the nautical-themed Cottage. Fully renovated top-to-bottom in 2015, including new granite countertops, custom glass backsplash, and stainless appliances.
*** Click 'More Details' for a full Description, Attractions and detailed Rates. ***
Plenty of parking. Pets considered. Owners are very knowledgeable and accessible – They live a short walk away.
Spacious yard with fire ring, seating, picnic table and water views. Propane grill.
The main bedroom includes a queen bed. Two additional bedrooms each have full beds. Finally, the fourth bedroom has a bunk bed with twin mattresses, perfect for kids.
The Cottage is also available for longer-term rentals during the offseason. Perfect for temporary workers at Millstone, Electric Boat, Pfizer, or the colleges. Inquire for rates.
2017 DETAILED RATES:
During the months of July and August, only full-week rentals are typically allowed.
* Spring/Fall Season (May 1 to June 30 / Sept 19 to October 31) -- $1,575 per week plus $100 cleaning fee. Weeks typically begin on Saturdays.
* Spring Season Partial Week (May 1 - June 30 / Sept 1 - October 31) -- $225 per day plus $100 cleaning fee. NOTE: Partial weeks not allowed during July and August.
* Summer Season Weekly Rates (July 1 to Aug 31) -- $1,645 per week, plus $100 cleaning fee.
Pet Fee Policy: Approved pets are a one-time fee of $100 each. Maximum of two approved pets per reservation.
Attractions and Things To Do:
While the Crabby Cottage is tucked away in a rural shoreline community, it is extremely accessible to various things to do and see. The area lends itself to varied attractions such as casinos (Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods, both less than 30 minutes away), Mystic Seaport and Mystic Aquarium, shopping outlets (Clinton Crossing and Tanger Outlets, both less than 30 minutes away), fishing and beaches, numerous bars and restaurants, quintessential New England scenic fall foliage and a ten-minute ride to the New London ferries which offer service to both Block Island, RI or Long Island, NY. Don’t forget about the local movie theater and Children’s Museum.
Harkness Memorial State Park is less than 3 minutes away. Mitchell College, Connecticut College, and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy are also about 10 minutes away. Crabby Cottage is a great spot to celebrate parents weekend, graduation, or a family vacation. Great Neck Country Club Golf course abuts the rear of our property and it has a full bar/restaurant that is open to the public.
Of course, many visitors who come to this area are primarily interested in the beaches and fishing. Ocean Beach, Harkness Memorial Park and Rocky Neck Park are popular destinations. Or use our four personal passes to enjoy the local and private Pleasure Beach. However, there are other small, local beaches and opportunities for water access for those seeking more solitude. Please inquire with the Owners to learn about these local spots. In addition, are you looking to do some fishing? Ask the owner, Capt. Crabby Bill for his personal GPS coordinates for the local hot spots. There is a public boat launch only a few blocks away.
Hello. My nickname is "Crabby Bill," and my wife Cindy and I jumped at the opportunity to buy this house. I've spent my life living and vacationing in the area. In fact, we live just a few houses away. Cindy and I have an ocean-obsessed rescue dog named Cassie and a conniving cat named Captain Awesome.
Bill Stevens purchased this house in 2015
This area of Connecticut and especially this part of Waterford is a little known and hidden gem. Little has changed in this area in the 40 years I've been coming here. However, a lot has indeed changed over the years just within a short drive. While the house is in a very rural, beach side community, you are less than ten minutes from the quaint town of Niantic, where you can meander through the shops, restaurants or watch a movie. Or go explore the galleries in the city of New London. And of course there is downtown Waterford with grocery stores, banks, restaurants and the Crystal Mall. Everything you want or need is within striking distance.
Walk along the ocean or use our four passes to the private Pleasure Beach, a members-only beach.
Thank you for such a lovely cottage! We could tell that you paid a lot of attention to detail to make our stay comfortable. All the added touches like extra paper towels to even a crab net was greatly appreciated. I also would like to compliment you on your decor! So lovely! The house was extremely clean and well organized. There was nothing that we needed that wasn't already here. Thank you! Lots of continued success!
We stayed at the cottage for 2 weeks. Everything was as described and better. I'll start with Cindy and Bill. Exceptional landlords, but especially outstanding people. If we needed anything, they were there. The cottage is my definition of a dream cottage. The way it functions, the way it's decorated, the proximity to the beach and how clean everything was. I was pleased with the cleaning products that were there so I could clean up as well. As soon as we walked in the door, after a 2000 mile drive, we felt at home. Nothing was missing. It was a pleasure for my husband and I to be there. We will definitely return to our home away from home in the future. We walked to the local beaches, ate twice at Skippers in Niantic, spent time in Stonington and Mystic and found a ton of sea glass at Napatree beach. Thank you Cindy and Bill. You're the best! Larry and Diane
A massive thanks for a wonderful weekend with our young family. The pictures certainly don't do the house justice. Quaint, yet spacious enough to not feel crowded and everything thought out to accommodate a travelers needs. The kitchen was fully stocked with cutlery, crockery and utensils. The four bedrooms were spacious and had everything we needed. Amenities such as wifi a foosball table made the stay exceptional. The location is wonderful with beautiful Pleasure Beach a quick bike ride away and some other state parks very close by. The Dinosaur Place was a great local find for the kids. All in all we were very pleased and would certainly recommend!
We loved the crabby themed decor. Furnishings were nice and we loved playing foosball. There was also a very nice yard with fire pit, picnic table, and chairs. The last night was hot and muggy and we really would have appreciated an air conditioner upstairs. Other than that the cottage had everything we needed. It was also very clean which we we appreciated. The owners were great to work with. Would recommend.
We enjoyed a great week on the Connecticut Coast thanks to this family-friendly home! Cindy has thought of everything. I loved the guide to the many things to do in the area. It was very helpful in planning our week and we were never without things to do that pleased ages 2 to 70. Also we loved the samples of craft beer from the local brewery. Pleasure Beach is gorgeous and family-friendly. Even our two-year-old who didn't like the waves had a space to play in the water. We only wished we had figured out how to crab. Niantic is a lovely little town with a great Park and Boardwalk and many little shops. We all love the Book Barn. The house had everything we needed and lots of space for 7 people. We loved the large front porch and spent most of our time there. Also we played lots of cornhole and the children had plenty of room to play tag on the side lawn. Thank you for a great week of family fun and memories!
We have five children ranging in ages from 19 months to 13 years old. Everyone enjoyed their spaces. The cottage is very charming and clean. There is a huge side yard the kids played in as well as a fire pit that we were able to enjoy. The cottage was well stocked to include a vacuum, pack and play, outdoor and indoor games as well as an outdoor shower and clothes line, all things a large family can appreciate. I only wish it had a second bathroom and that I brought a gate to keep the baby from climbing the stairs. I'd rent again without question.
I rented the cottage with my fiance for a week before we had to go back to school and it was a perfect way to end our summer. The cottage was clean and decorated to let you know you were at the beach. Even though we were still in CT, it did not feel that way as Shore Rd. is tucked away nicely from the downtown areas and Route 1 (although the grocery and anything you could need were within a 10 minute drive). My parents and some family came for a night or two and they also greatly enjoyed their stay and short walk to Pleasant Beach. The doggie beach was also a favorite of ours as our dog had never seen the coastline before! She loved it and so did we as most beaches do not allow dogs. The beds were comfortable and the outdoor shower is the BEST after coming home all sandy and salty. We would definitely recommend this vacation home to anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing beach vacation and my family is already talking about renting it all together next year! Thanks Cindy and Bill!!
Lauren and Ben
1. Outdoor Activities and Attractions
1. Ocean Beach Park (http://www.ocean-beach-park.com/):
Just a five-minute drive away is Ocean Beach, for your kids or the kid in you. Ocean Beach is both a crystal white beach and amusement park. The amusement park offers arcade games, mini golf, waterslides, children's waterpark, carousel, arcade, Olympic-sized pool, and Workout World gym. Ocean Beach also offers a food court and a bar/restaurant.
2. Harkness Memorial State Park (http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325214&deepNav_GID=1650): Visit and stroll Harkness State Park with beautiful gardens and ocean frontage. Tour the mansion. Offering sprawling lawns and elegant gardens, Harkness provides visitors with ocean access and breathtaking views of Long Island Sound.
3. Pleasure Beach
Private members-only beach (four passes included with rental). White sand and seasonal life guard.
4. Niantic Beach Boardwalk (http://www.discovereastlyme.com/things_boardwalk.php): Less than a five minute drive is one of the nicest – if not the nicest – beach boardwalks in Connecticut. Over a mile long, there is free parking at each end of the boardwalk. Enjoy the sand, a stroll, and the surf!
5. Eugene O’Neill Theater (http://www.theoneill.org/): At the O’Neill Theater you can watch new plays, musicals, puppetry and cabaret before it reaches Broadway. Writers and directors, puppeteers and singers, students and audiences alike take their first steps in exploring, revising and understanding their work and the potential of the theater they help create. The O'Neill itself is the recipient of two Tony® Awards, in 2010 for Regional Theatre,
6. Fishing: Bring your boat and use the nearby public launch. Or plan a half-day or full-day fishing trip aboard the three popular charter boats. The Sunbeam, Black Hawk, and Mijoy all offer a range of options for targeting striped bass, bluefish, porgies, sea bass, fluke and flounder. (http://www.sunbeamfleet.com, http://wwlw.blackhawksportfishing.com, http://www.mijoyboat.org)
7. Sound View (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Soundview-Beach/145895542102483): With a beautiful beach, pavilion and beach bar, Soundview is an extremely popular sun-soaked destination for sand-seekers.
8. Rocky Neck State Park (www.ct.gov/deep/rockyneck ): The beautiful, gently sloping, soft sandy beach, picnic areas, diverse trail systems and salt marsh viewing platforms make this park ideal for families. Try crabbing or fishing. Look for ospreys, cranes, and herons or other waterfowl.
9. Essex Steam Train (www.essexsteamtrain.com ): The steam locomotive pulls vintage coaches at 20 mph through the quintessential New England towns of Deep River and Chester. The picturesque countryside includes pristine meadows, a quaint farm, a millpond with waterfall, and trestles and bridges over rivers and creeks. A natural highlight is the undeveloped Selden Neck State Park, accessible only by boat.
10. Mystic Aquarium and Mystic Seaport (http://www.mysticseaport.org/ ): Mystic has a wonderful aquarium, and Mystic Seaport is the largest maritime museum in the world. There are fantastic dining options in Mystic, including the famous Mystic Pizza. Mystic, a quaint little village that holds Mystic Seaport & Museum, Mystic Aquarium, Olde Mystic Village (great shopping) and some wonderful restaurants is only 15 minutes away.
11. U.S. Nautilus Museum (http://www.ussnautilus.org/): Submarines have fascinated people from Alexander the Great to the Beatles, from Jules Verne to John Holland. You'll find out why when you visit the nation's finest displays and collections of America's submarine heritage. The Submarine Force Museum, located on the Thames River in Groton, Connecticut, maintains the world's finest collection of submarine artifacts. It is the only submarine museum operated by the United States Navy.
|Refundable damage deposit||$500|