|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
Welcome to “ORCHID” HILO VACATION RENTAL HOME:
See all my homes at www.hilovacationhomes.com.
Located on the same side of the street as the ocean (NOT across the street from the ocean), the Orchid cottage has limited views and easy access to the whitewater coastline. Walk along the coast in either direction or fish from the cliffs. Soothing sounds of the waves crashing along the shoreline can be heard day and night. This spacious 1-bedroom 1-bath house is an affordable accommodation for an individual or couple who wants to be near the ocean. The house has a fold out couch and a day bed with twin mattress for additional guests.
Very clean and exceptionally well appointed. Kitchen, full-sized washer/dryer, high speed internet (WiFi). TV viewing option include Amazon Prime, Netflix and the better cable alternative, Sling TV.
Click on the "Video" tab for video walk through of house.
The Orchid house is located south of Hilo town. Just 25 minutes to central Hilo. An easy 35 minutes drive to the Volcanoes National Park. Close to Big Island Hawaii guest activities and the warm pond swimming area (about 15 minutes by car). Approximately 25 minutes drive to Hilo swimming, snorkeling, and surfing beaches - Richardson's Beach park.
Near Downtown Hilo yet it feels like a secluded Hawaiian town. Just minutes from beautiful Pahoa and on the way to the Kalapana Lava viewing area and other Pahoa sights (Champagne ponds, Ahalanui Beach Park - Warm ponds, Maku'u farmers market). Same distance to Volcano National Park as Hilo.
Please visit my dedicated website at www.hilovacationhomes.com. The Hilo Activities tab has the best organized overview of the many activities in and around Hilo organized by driving direction.
Not sure which house is best for you, simply call me at (818) 357-6889.
Vacation Rental Highlights:
• Large, 900 sq. ft. guest house with separate step down bedroom. The sofa is a fold out bed in addition to a day bed with a twin mattress.
• 12 miles from Downtown Hilo.
• Walk to rear portion of the property for amazing sunrises and ocean views. Whale watching during the winter months. Chairs available at the house to bring back to the edge of the property.
• Live in a community of Hawaiian residents and learn why so many people decide to retire in this area.
• Why settle for a house away from the water? This house rents for the price of a hotel, but includes a complete kitchen and washer/dryer.
• Often rented for long term stays, the house is private with little traffic on the street in front and an unused garage separating this house and the main house.
• House is completely stocked. Everything you need for cooking, plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, hair dryers. Ironing board/Iron, playpen, highchair and Cable Wifi, Netflix and Sling TV.
• Living Room – Large couch and day bed for plenty of seating. Couch folds out into queen size bed if your party is larger than 2. Flat screen T.V. with Amazon Fire controller. This as Amazon Prime and Netflix for a huge selection of prior shows and movies. For current shows and sports, the better cable alternative Sling T.V. offers all the usual cable stations in a slick user interface.
Small selection of books and games for the evening.
• Kitchen – Everything you need. Coffee maker, blender, toaster, rice cooker, pots/pans. Lots of cooking tools. Large oven/range.
• Master Bedroom – Very large, step down separate bedroom with King size mattress. premium sheets, nightstand, dresser, clock and ceiling fan. Sliding glass door to outside porch and limited view to ocean.
• Bathroom: Single bathroom near front door in living room. Bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths, hair dryer, shampoo and soap provided.
There is more to do in and around Hilo than any town on any of the Islands. It just isn’t well advertised because there aren’t resorts to promote the area. Please visit http://hilovacationhomes.com/hilo-activities/ for the best organized site - showing activities by driving direction.
• Waterfalls - Boiling Pots, Rainbow Falls, Akaka Falls, Waipi’o Valley
• Gardens – Hawaiian Botanical Gardens, Lili’uokalani Park and Gardens, Nani Mau Gardens, Akatsuka Orchid Gardens.
• Museums – Lyman’s historical and geological museum and The Tsunami museum. Both in downtown Hilo.
• Beach Parks – Richardson’s Beach Park, Onekahakaha Beach Park (the calmest), Carlsmith Beach Park, Reed’s Bay, Lehia Park. Punalu’u Beach Park and Whittington Park.
• Volcanic sights: Volcano National Park, Thurston lava tube, Kaumana Caves State Park, Pahoa transfer station, Live lava bike/hike tours in Kalipana Viewing area.
• Markets and shops: Hilo Farmer’s Market, Maku’u Farmer’s Market, Hilo Coffee Mill, Ka’u Coffee Mill, Volcano Winery and Mehana Brewery, Hilo Candy Company, Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut and Punalu’u Bake Shop
• Other – Hilo Zoo, Palace Theatre
• Shop large stores for all your supplies. Just a quarter mile above the Hilo airport is a Walmart, Target, newer Safeway, mall with modern movie theater and cute stores.
• Looking for familiar fast food? In the same area is a Burger King, Panda Express and Starbucks. Just up the street on the north side is a Subway, Jack in the Box, McDonalds and Domino’s Pizza.
Owner of 4 homes directly across from Richardson's Beach Park and 3 ocean front homes in Paradise Park. I manage these homes personally with my cell number available to all guests. Payments are handled through the security of the Homeaway/VRBO site. Guests also receive information on restaurants, shopping and my favorite places to visit.
Other Hilo homes I own and manage at Richardson's Beach Park include VRBO Listing #27642, VRBO Listing #3948511ha, VRBO Listing #3948514ha and VRBO Listing #4035464ha. This property has the main house toward the ocean, separated by an unused garage. That house is VRBO Listing #453162. Lastly, about a mile away from this house I have a three bedroom/two bath home listed at: VRBO Listing #453162.
I always keep the calendars updated.
Richard Standke purchased this house in 2012
This house is a stones throw from the water yet priced as a bargain. The house has a kitchen and laundry facilities for comfortable long term stays.
The property is a guest house off the quiet street with an unused garage separating this house from the main house toward the ocean.
This is a large house for a one bedroom (900 sq. ft.).
The main house is also a vacation rental and is listed on VRBO as VRBO Listing #453162.
The bedroom is large and has a king size bed. An additional 2 guests could stay on the fold out couch (best for kids). A new day bed also offers a nice, twin size mattress. The best alternative for a third person. This allows you to stay in privacy yet be only 22 minutes from Hilo central.
Not well known, Hilo has more tourist destinations than any Hawaiian destination. These include:
*Historic Downtown with shops and restaurants on the Bay.
* Waterfalls right in town. Rainbow Falls and Boiling Pots.
* Akaka Falls just 25 minutes North of Hilo
* Volcano National Park, just 35 minutes above Hilo
* Hawaiian Botanical Gardens.One of the nicest gardens you will find.
* Hilo Farmers Market. Everyday but largest on Wednesday and Saturday.
* Liliuckalani Gardens at Hilo Bay including Coconut Island.
* Lyland museum for historic information and geologic rocks.
* Tsunami museum housed in a historic bank
* Wine tasting at the Volcano Winery
* Beer tasting right in town at Hawaii Nui Brewery
* Coffee tasting at Hilo Coffee Mill on your way to the Volcano
* Hilo Zoo. Free and very pretty.
* Mauna Loa Nut company self guided "look through window" tour and gift shop. Free and nice shop for lunch and ice cream.
* Historic Palace Theatre downtown. Check internet for show dates.
* Nearby to Pahoa town, near active lava flows.
*Continue on to Ahalanui Park's warm pond and then snorkle at Champagne Ponds (tidepools) in Kapoho.
* Venture South beyond Volcano National Park to Punaluu County Park for lots of black sand and full time lounging turtles.
* Continue South for Punaluu Bake shop and South Point Road. Incredable vistas from the most Southern point in the U.S.
* Go North along the beautiful Hamakua coast and go horseback riding in Waipi'o Valley.
This little cottage totally made our vacation so much more comfortable. Perfect location; amazing neighborhood, 25 steps to the lava rock shoreline, 20 minutes to big shopping and Hilo, not too far from the airport and good restaurants, good area for East Island adventures. Kitchen was well stocked with everything we needed to make meals, Washer worked great, water pressure and water quality were excellent. the cottage sits on the same property with a big house that is close to the ocean. The Beds were comfortable, and the house was clean. There were different people that came and went and they were all very friendly and actually that was great because we visited a bit and traded tips and ideas. ****Don't be concerned if it smells a bit musty from being closed up! open everything up and it will freshen up right away. There's extra sheets in the TV stand AND there's a direct internet cable behind the end table. Windows open at night and it wasn't a problem to listen to the rain and the frogs for us. We didn't see a barbecue. There was a perfect cooler that we used everyday. And if you need a Chiropractor you want to visit:Dr.Gregory Raubichad He is awesome. 808-938-6979
The property was clean and spacious, but was definitely outdated.Many of the major appliances had rust showing through the porcelain. But the most annoying were the wifi and tv. Service was constantly interrupted. This is definitely a place for the cost conscious.
After carefully reviewing property and others in the area we had a good idea of what we were getting when we arrived. We weren't disappointed, everything was as advertised. The bed was comfortable and the kitchen was adequately stocked. We loved going down to the ocean where there was no shortage of sea turtles and were lucky there was not another family in the house next door during our stay. Richard sent us a nice packet with places to see and other helpful hints. The internet was reliable and the Roku was worked fine after getting used to the remote. The stay was great and would rent again.
Only issue was the fire alarms. The one in the bedroom went off three times for no reason. One time it went off at 2:00 a.m. and would go off and on for about 20 minutes. The one in the living room is placed directly over the stove. It constantly went off while cooking some grilled cheese sandwiches.
There is no air conditioner in the house and I imagine during the summer this could be an issue. I would recommend that another stand-up fan be added to the house so one could be in the living room and one in the bedroom.
Such a nice cool location. Super cozy location and home. Couldn't of asked for anything else! Such a great time and loved the cliffs to watch the sun come up and water hit the rocks!
Enjoyed our stay here (3 days). Good location for visiting anything on the east side of the island-Hilo, Volcano National Park, Rainbow falls, thermal beaches to the south. Good value!
We stayed 3 nights in this cute cottage. The sounds of the ocean at night and the birds in the morning was great. We took many long walks all around the area. Met a lot of very friendly local dogs and their equally friendly humans. Communication with Richard was easy and clear. Would definitely stay here again. Mahalo Richard!
Close to Volcanoes National Park, Downtown Hilo, Shopping, Restaurants, Dining, University of Hawaii Hilo, Hilo Medical Center. Ask about our other HILO OCEANFRONT HOUSES AND BEACH HOUSES
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
Please don't waste your money on Damage Protection.
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.