About the property
- House4000 sq. ft.
- Half Baths1
- Minimum StayNone
2 guest BD; in great room: sofabed, blow-up mattress & 4 twin built ins. 14+
Mid-Century Modern oasis on Lake Whitehurst, close to Atlantic Ocean, Chesapeake Bay. A blend of whimsy & tranquility await you in this 4,000sf one-level home, with 3 private acres.
Two guest rooms w/queen beds & private updated en-suite bath. Sofa-sleeper in great room. Fully equipped chef's kitchen. Porch, patios, hot tub, on-site fishing, space to gather in a Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired pad.
Ideal for families, groups, couples & zen solitude. Easygoing 5-star host w/expertise in events.
An idyllic locale for a relaxing respite from the rat race, for family excursions, weddings & receptions and other events, both intimate and expansive.
Welcome to Wiseacre, an expansive, private estate reminiscent of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin & Sammy Davis Jr.—with a dash of “Mad Men."
This whimsical 4000sf Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired Mid-Century Modern home offers a relaxing retreat from the rat race (if not the rat pack). Wiseacre is a family-friendly destination, also suited for couples, individuals searching for solitude, reunions, NAVY business, work groups and those looking for a stop along the way along the east coast.
All on one-level with a cavernous 650sf great room with 20-foot ceilings, newly renovated chef's kitchen, 10' dining table, wet bar, all-season porch, multiple terraces—and 3 acres of landscaped grounds surrounded on three sides by picturesque Lake Whitehurst (sublime sunrises & sunsets). We are also experienced hosting weddings & events (contact host for details).
THE BIG PICTURE
* Guest Bedroom A: queen bed, HDTV/cable/HBO, lake view, bottled water, black-out drapes
* Guest Bedroom B: queen bed, lake view, bottled water, black-out drapes
* Private Bathroom: Jack & Jill bath shared between Guest Bedrooms A&B, step-in shower, towels, blow dryer, shampoo/conditioner
* Great Room: for 6+ overnight accommodations: pullout queen sofa sleeper, blow-up mattress available, half bath
KITCHEN FACILITIES: gas convection range, 22 refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker & Keurig, toaster, blender, air cooker, waffle iron, pots/pans, dishes, glassware, cooking utensils, cutlery.
OTHER FACILITIES: plenty of private driveway parking, Wifi, keyless entry, use of gas grill, 10’ dining table & chairs, 6’ wood-burning fireplace, central AC/heat, Amazon Firestick-equipped HDTV in kitchen, iron & board, porch, patio & terrace with furniture, lawn chairs, Amazon Echo… so much more!
THE FINER DETAILS
* Guests are privy to 2 private bedrooms with luxurious queen-size beds, memory foam mattresses and an updated en-suite bathroom w/step-in shower. First guest room includes 55-inch HDTV/DVR/DVD & full cable/HBO.
* For more than 4 guests, a queen-size pullout sofa is available in the great room. There is also a queen blow-up mattress available. For larger groups, it's time to get creative. There are comfy built-ins along the wall and space in the great room to... spread out. We’ve had as many as 18 sleep here! (Please discuss large groups with your host.)
* Keyless entry, WiFi, a personalized guide to local activities, and morning coffee/tea make your stay all the more restful.
* Amazon Echo is at home here; ask Alexa for weather, travel directions, news, and listen to music via Pandora, iHeart, Spotify and Amazon Prime.
* Smart TV in the Guest Room A with cable, HBO, DVR. Second Smart TV in the kitchen with connectivity via Amazon Firestick and all other subscription services and mobile connects.
* Also: Multiple terraces w/seating and vistas of spectacular sunrises & sunsets on the lake, hammock, fishing, baby grand piano, and plenty of safe parking.
---> Any EVENT with more than SIX hosted at the home must ABSOLUTELY be discussed with your host in advance. No visitors to the home other than those booked, without discussing with the host.
---> PLEASE NOTE: Your host is on premises during your stay. I am a full-time work-at-home journalist, and spend days in the back office. Consider this your private getaway... with a butler present.
Wiseacre is 5 minutes from the Chesapeake Bay, Norfolk Botanical Garden and Norfolk International Airport. The Virginia Beach oceanfront & boardwalk are an easy 15-minute drive. Downtown Norfolk is 12 minutes on I-64. Busch Gardens and Williamsburg are an hour away.
Enjoy the best of both worlds: serenity on-site & all conveniences minutes away. Welcome to Hampton Roads... and Wiseacre!
*Local restaurants, taverns, groceries, gas, museums, shopping within minutes. Lots of suggestions on-site.
* High-speed Internet: Password shared upon arrival.
* Keyless entry, with a personalized 4-digit code.
* Towels & Linens provided. Shampoo, blow dryer, iron at hand.
* Coffee & Tea: And lots of it.
* Parking: Private driveway.
* Sweet 1.5yo Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Charlotte is your co-host, who looks forward to meeting you. She spends 99% of her time with me in my office, and will grant you privacy—or love.
PLEASE SEE OUR WISEACRE FACEBOOK PAGE FOR MORE!!
Go to FB & type in Wiseacre Norfolk...
Wiseacre is pleased to test out a "welcome" dog policy in 2018—within governance. First, s/he is regarded as any other guest: Guests MUST book your pet at the same rate as any adult or child. 30-pound limit. Must be truly house trained. I have a 2yo Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Charlotte on premises, so your critter needs to be socialized (Charlotte is on the shy side & tends to spend 100% of her time w/me in my office).
If you intend to leave your beloved here during your activities in the area, please ensure s/he does not have insecurity/constant barking issues. Guest bedroom carpet is brand new for 2018, so if you intend to leave in BR, cage w/flooring is required.
And the awesome stuff: Wiseacre not only offers more than a full private acre of grounds for running & playing in the back yard and 2 in the front, but there's a fenced dog run, so your pal may roam and sniff… and do their thing… leash free!
*** If you would like to bring a pet, let’s discuss in advance.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one hour
- Calendar last updated:
- May 22, 2018
About Chuck Taylor
Your host Chuck has worked in the entertainment industry as a professional journalist for three decades. As a former New York City boy with southern roots, I'm a friendly, open-minded guy. If you'd like to share a cocktail on the terrace, I'm game. Or if you'd prefer privacy and a getaway from life's chaos, this spacious home also allows for minimal interaction. The choice is yours! PLEASE NOTE: Your host is on premises during your stay. I am a full-time writer, and spend days in the back office. Consider this your private getaway... with a butler present! In addition, Charlotte, a King Charles Spaniel, looks forward to saying hello!
Chuck Taylor purchased this House in 2014
Why Chuck Taylor chose Northwest
Located on the border of Norfolk and Virginia Beach, Wiseacre Estate is minutes from the Chesapeake Bay & Norfolk Botanical Gardens, with the Virginia Beach Oceanfront an easy 15-minute drive. Looking for a respite? Privacy, peace and intimacy are calling cards of the property. Quick access to local restaurants, bars, groceries, conveniences and retail. Norfolk International Airport is 6 minutes away. Cabs are easily available there, while Uber serves the region. Rental cars are also on-site at the airport. For those driving to Hampton Roads, Wiseacre is minutes from I-64 and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Once you're here, there's plenty of safe private driveway parking.
What makes this House unique
* Free high-speed Internet access: Password shared upon your arrival. * Towels & Linens: Yes, of course, provided. Shampoo, blow dryer, iron at hand. * Coffee & Tea: And lots of it, in the morning. * Parking: Endless private driveway. * In Guest Bedroom A, a 55" plasma HDTV/DVD player/Tivo/HBO. * Smoking allowed outdoors. * Your host is a 50-year-old single guy who is young at heart and sociable. All ages welcome. As a former New Yorker, I am flexible, accommodating and ready to welcome new friends. * Any EVENT hosted at the home must be discussed with your host in advance. Additional fees for any gathering over SIX.
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 2:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Chuck is awesome !
Made my prom night one for the books !
The house is gorgeous, whimsical and peaceful!
Not only is the house amazing, but the property owner Chuck and his little dog Charlotte were delightful!
Wiseacre is an amazing home with a unique feel. From Chuck, the owner, to the setting of a house on the water, our trip was amazing. Chuck was very accomodating and allowed us to have some local friends over for a dinner party without complaint. We discussed returning for future events and weekend getaways. Cannot wait to visit again.
Wonderful and Spacious.
This was a great place for a dinner party and relaxing with friends.
Beautiful, wish I could stay longer
Wonderful eclectic collection of amusing memorabilia enhance the experience of staying in 1960's house with beautiful, peaceful lake view. A surprise at every turn. Went to bike ride along beach and through farmland. Chuck is great, easygoing host with accurate suggestions for restaurants. It was a wonderful fall getaway and would like to go again any season.
The perfect place to relax and have fun!
We decided to come to Wiseacre for a girls getaway and celebrate our birthdays.
We were greeted with open arms and open paws by our host Chuck and his co-hostess, Miss Charlotte, his adorable King Charles Caviler Spaniel! The minute we stepped in this beautiful home we knew we had made the perfect choice.
The kitchen is newly remodeled and would be the envy of every chef in the world! The great room has huge windows that are floor to ceiling and you can spend hours overlooking Lake Whitehurst and watch the planes take off and land at Norfolk Airport. Don't worry, you can't hear the planes! There is also a beautiful grand piano in the great room if you feel like tinkling the ivorys! Our guest rooms were perfect with comfy beds and lots of fluffy pillows. You can also see Lake Whitehurst from the rooms. The grounds are beautifully cared for by Chuck's gardener Bob, whom we had the pleasure to meet!
Now to one of the best reasons to stay at Wiseacre, Chuck and Miss Charlotte! Oops, I should have said two reasons! Chuck is a wonderful, knowledgeable, fun host! He advised us where to go and he always recommended the perfect place for us! I'm a music nut and I had brought my little music system with me to play special music for our trip. Well, it decided not to work and Chuck sprang into action! He brought out a little stereo system that worked with my ancient iPod and presto my music filled the air! We could continue on with our cocktail hour! Thank you again Chuck for saving the day! My birthday bestie brought her beautiful cattle dog mix named Joi and she was also treated as royalty!
If you're looking for a unique, spacious beautiful place to vacation, with a Host with the Most and a hostess with the Mostess then Wiseacre is THE place for you!!
Chuck and Charlotte, we're sendings hugs and kisses and can't wait to see you again!! Leigh Harmer and Carol Won
There are countless sites to see throughout this resort area! The beach and bay are minutes away, and Colonial Williamsburg and amusement park Busch Gardens are within an hour's drive. That's only a sampling. Numerous travel guides for Norfolk and Virginia Beach are furnished upon your arrival, along with personal recommendations.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
PLEASE NOTE: Your host is on premises during your stay. I am a full-time writer, and spend days & evening in the back office. Consider this your private getaway... with a butler present! * Any EVENT hosted at the home must be discussed with your host in advance. Meetings, sizable bachelorette parties, weddings & receptions incur additional fees. Your house-trained quiet dog is welcome. Please read our pet policy (Dogs are considered an "additional guest" when making a reservation).