It's easy to fall in love with The Painter's Nook. From the moment you step onto this 1/2 acre property you feel like you're in your own oasis. The cottage sits back off the road but still provides ample back yard to explore in. The gardens are loved and maintained, including a "secret" veggies garden planted for guests to enjoy. Birds, butterflies and bees are continuously visiting the flowers while the occasional deer and rabbit stroll (and hop) through the yard.
The home is a 1947 cottage we purchased from owners who were artists, now named The Painter's Nook because of the collection of colorful art and artifacts we found in the home. This cottage is a lovely one-of-a-kind escape in the heart of Parksville that feels like you've journeyed back to a delightful time where charm and individuality made a house a home!
Updated with two new bathrooms, new wiring, flooring and more, the Nook offers a fabulous flow from living room, through the kitchen and into the eating area looking out into a large green welcoming backyard, filled with trees, a swing set, BBQ area. The living room has a gas fireplace, a cozy nook corner, comfortable seating and a TV as well as a collection of art and interesting collectibles.
In the Nook's inviting kitchen and pantry, you'll enjoy the apartment sized fridge, stove and oven, microwave,and coffee maker with many added touches. In the large dining area, the sideboard holds some of the antique knick knacks found in the home as well as a working table for your computer and games plus the dining table with its unique light fixture that came with the cottage when we purchased it! Leading off the kitchen is a laundry room with full sized washer and dryer, plus a door out to the patio and large backyard.
Ready for a restful night? The Master Bedroom, located just off the living room has a comfortable queen sized bed, and is lit by a charming hanging lamp reclaimed from the old Monterey Hotel in California! There are french doors to a private patio off this bedroom so that you can enjoy your early morning coffee or sip a glass of wine in the soothing evening light.
The Second Bedroom features an antique double bed we found in the cottage and then washed with a velvety white chalk paint. There is a TV in this bedroom. The Third Bedroom is perfect both for the kids & other visitors, offering two extra-long twin sized beds, night table, reading lamp, and chair.
Enjoy the 2 new bathrooms, one with combination bathtub/shower, the second featuring a lovely old stained glass window and shower. Amenities such as linens, shampoos, soaps, hairdryer, kitchen wares, dishes, utensils, etc. are provided.
Traveling with your kids or your dog? This property offers a 1/2 acre fenced yard for them to play in. Your kids can enjoy the swing set, fruit trees, and long stretches of grassy areas to spread out and run free. For your dog, there is 'the Poochie's Nook", a dog house and run so he has a place all his own when needed.
1100 sq. ft. – Bungalow – 3 Bedrooms
- 2 full bathrooms
- Large yard (1/2 acre)
- Dog house and run
- quick walk to Parksville Beach Park, shops, restaurants, library
- Large outside seating area
- Short walk to the Estuary Park and Englishman River
Comfortably sleeps 5-6 people
• TV in living room & 1 guest bedroom
• DVD-yes, stereo-yes
• Washer/dryer in laundry room
• Internet, wireless
• One gas fireplace in the living room
• Fruit trees, BBQ and swing set in the back yard
* Dog house and run
* Vegetable garden for guest's enjoyment and use
• 3 bedroom plus one chair bed in living room
• Master bedroom- queen bed, with doors that open onto front, private patio
• 2nd bedroom- double bed
• 3rd bedroom- two twin beds
• 2 new bathrooms
The cottage sits on 1/2 acre in the heart of Parksville, and the garden features:
• play set with swing
• fruit trees, blueberry bushes, raspberry and strawberry plants for you to explore and enjoy
• lots of room to wander and play
• patio areas in both the front and back yard, with a BBQ
• fenced area for dogs to explore
• lots of lovely large trees and wildlife
* Note *
We take pride in the quality of accommodations that we provide guests and have just taken possession of this quaint 1940s home (as of Oct 2014) and updated for your comfort It's a very eclectic home whose location gives it a unique mix of both an urban and rural feel. The neighbourhood is a mixture of old properties and newer homes. A few of the older homes are not updated or well tended but are lived in by friendly neighbours. When at the back of the property, you will hear road noise, but both the front street and inside of cottage are very peaceful.
We have updated the Painter's Nook for your comfort but left all the features and quirks that make it such a charming home.
>> Is your group larger than 6 people? <<
Because The Painter's Nook sits on a 1/2 acre property we do welcome guests to get creative with this space.
- If you have extra kids that want to pitch a tent in the back yard... go for it! (we've even done this ourselves)
- If you'd like to add some extra family members in a camper... that's a possibility too! Just ask us about how to make it fit and what the extra charge might be.
A Few Things to Be Aware Of:
- RATES ARE QUOTED IN USD. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO CHANGE CURRENCY SETTING TO CANADIAN DOLLARS IN ORDER TO AVOID ANY CONFUSION.
- We charge a cleaning fee as a transparent cost for an end of the stay normal clean. Guests are expected to keep the house in good form, remove trash and recycling and generally treat the house well during their stays. While we hate to do it, additional cleaning fees will be charged to those that leave the home in bad order.
- This property is strictly non-smoking.
- While we like cats, cats are not permitted guests at this property. We ONLY allow dogs with prior approval.