About the property
- House1000 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum StayNone
1-bed-1-bath home (with optional detached casita) Sleeps 4
Homestead Modern No. 1 features three separate structures at different prices...
1) — One-bedroom, one-bath home with a full kitchen, living and dining area (for the price you see listed).
2) — A separate one-bedroom, one-bath detached casita (••additional $90/night + $55 flat cleaning fee••).
Both of these units also offer private outdoor showers as well as indoor showers. Each bedroom has a California king bed. Both structures are steel framed and have lots of glass.
DirecTV is available in both the house and casita. WiFi is accessible everywhere.
• ACCESS TO THE CASITA
If you need the second bed you should inquire to book the casita as well as the house. The cost is an additional $90/night plus tax and $55 flat cleaning fee.
The casita and/or trailer cannot be rented by itself. Also -- the casita and/or trailer will never be rented to another party when you have rented the house.
•••• FEATURES ••••
- Short walk to popular music and food venue Pappy & Harriet's
- Private outdoor showers (in addition to indoor showers)
- Jacuzzi-brand hot tub
- Galvanized “cowboy” tub for cool dips during warm weather
- Generous outdoor seating and lounging areas
- Fully stocked kitchen including stainless steel appliances, All-Clad cookware and prep tools
- DirecTV service in living room and casita
- Wi-fi service in house and casita
- 60' LED flat-screen TV, BluRay DVD/CD player and sound bar/ powered subwoofer in the main house
- 46” LED flat-screen TV and sound bar in the casita
- Built-in high-end gas barbecue
- Gas fire pit
- Private rear patio at the house features seating and an area suitable for outdoor massage
- Horseshoe court
- Two California king beds
- Two-car carport
- Electric car charger
• WEBSITE - A comprehensive website for the property can be found by visiting www"HomesteadModernRentals"com
• DOG FEE - Dogs may be allowed but the renter must first contact the owner for discussion. There is a flat $50 per dog fee. Please review these guidelines as well: www"HomesteadModernRentals"com/dogs
• WEDDINGS AND SPECIAL EVENTS - The property was developed with special events – such as weddings – in mind. There is an ideal location adjacent to the main patio for ceremonies and that patio can accommodate up to 50 people for a sit-down dinner. The carport was planned so that catering operations can be carried out in that location – well away from guests. Additionally the property can accommodate up to 20 cars at a time. For details about event prices visit www"HomesteadModernRentals"com/events
• PHOTOSHOOTS - If you're interested in having a photoshoot at Homestead Modern No. 1 please review the photo shoots guidelines by visiting www"HomesteadModernRentals"com/photoshoots
• RV HOOKUP - There is an RV utility hook up area on the property that includes electric, water and sewage. Arrangements must be made ahead of time if you wish to use these facilities.
• FRESH JUICE DELIVERY - We are now offering fresh pressed juice delivery at Homestead Modern No. 1. Guests are able to be have fresh juices delivered to their door daily (or in the fridge when they arrive!) by local Joshua Tree juice guru Angela de la Agua. Menus and pricing for this service will be emailed upon request.
• STAR TOUR - If you would like a better view of the night sky there is a company called Coyote Telescope that offers a “Star Tour” that uses the fantastic Celestron CPC Deluxe 1100 HD computerized telescope. Visit www"coyotetelescope"com for more information.
• PAPPY & HARRIET'S
If you plan to have dinner at Pappy & Harriet's, we strongly recommend making an advance reservation.
• SOCIAL MEDIA
If you plan on sharing your experience on social media, please tag us! @HomesteadModern on lnstagram and /homesteadmodern1 on ƒacebook. You can also “check-in" to “Homestead Modern No. 1" on both platforms.
• ROCK REACH HOUSE - If the dates you want are booked at Homestead Modern No. 1 we invite you to look at our popular Dwell published Rock Reach House nearby. http://www"vrbo"com/304547
• HOUSE RULES
[1.] The number of people who may be at the property at any one time is the same number of renters stated on the reservation confirmation. In other words – no non-renting guests are permitted. If you would like to invite guests over for drinks or dinner you must receive permission ahead of time from the owner. The number of cars you may have on the property is the same as the number of beds you are renting.
We have three methods for enforcing these rules:
1. Your honesty and respect for our rules
2. Our security cameras
3. Our neighbor the house caretaker
[2.] The lease begins at 3 p.m. on the check-in date and ends at 11 a.m. on the check-out date (unless other times are approved in writing by the owner).
[3.] Dogs may be allowed but the renter must first contact the owner for a discussion. We understand that many people do not want to leave their dogs behind when they go on vacation. We are open to having dogs stay at Homestead Modern No. 1 so long as their owners are sensitive to and understand some basic issues. There is a flat $50 per dog fee to cover excess cleaning.
-Inside the House-
Unlike a hotel with many “units” we have only one "unit" we can rent at any one time. If that unit is damaged or soiled we are unable to rent the unit to the next guests until repairs or cleaning can be completed. And often we have back-to-back guests – one group checking out by 11 am and another group checking in by 3 pm the same day – thus no time in which to complete anything other than standard cleaning.
Using their own sheets or other protective coverings, dog owners should always cover any place where their dog may elect to lie down (other than the bare concrete floors). We are not equipped to shampoo furniture or rugs or dry clean bedding when fast turnarounds are so common.
-Outside the House-
Dog owners should immediately pick up after their dogs and deposit the waste in a plastic bag that is placed in a trash bin in the utility yard.
Finally dog owners should understand that we will not hesitate to deduct as needed from their house deposit if they fail to report a dog or to cover any damage or repairs necessitated by the presence of their dog.
[4.] An illegal or abusive use of Homestead Modern No. 1’s Internet access is not allowed. Please review the full details on page 25 of the PDF at www"HomesteadModernRentals"com/pdf
[5.] No photo shoots allowed without written permission from the owner. If you're interested in having a photo shoot please review the photo shoots guidelines by visiting www"HomesteadModernRentals"com/photoshoots
[6.] Special events such as weddings and parties are not permitted without written permission from the owner. For details about event prices visit www"HomesteadModernRentals"com/events
[7.] The guest shall allow the owner (or his designee) access to the property for purposes of repairs and inspection if required. The owner shall exercise this right of access in a reasonable manner.
[8.] If for any reason beyond the control of the owner the house is unavailable the owner may cancel the rental agreement and a full refund of all fees paid will be made to the guest.
[9.] Smoking is not allowed inside the house or within 15 feet of any open door.
[10.] The owner may withhold all or part of the deposit if any of the house rules are broken. Cause for withholding deposit funds include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Damage to the premises or contents
• Missing items requiring replacement (including keys)
• Excessive cleaning required
• Lingering smell of tobacco smoke
• Charges for mailing personal items left behind
• Evidence of more persons using the property than were authorized
• Evidence of a dog that wasn't authorized
• Unauthorized late check-out
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few days
- Calendar last updated:
- May 22, 2018
About Brad Klopman
I started my professional life as a print journalist, eventually serving in a variety of corporate PR and marketing executive roles. As a Southern California native I have long had a passion for the deserts of California -- especially the Mojave Desert. That passion led me to buy property in nearby Yucca Valley and that in turn led me to start a company called Blue Sky Building Systems. Blue Sky offers a unique steel frame system that is especially adept at allowing homes to be built on sloping property without the necessity of creating a flat pad – among many other attributes. While Blue Sky continues to grow and prosper I am now devoting some of my time to a new project – a start-up company called Homestead Modern (HM). HM is focused on offering small pre-designed steel-framed homes that can be built quickly, pretty much anywhere, for a set price.
Brad Klopman purchased this House in 2014
Why Brad Klopman chose Pioneertown
I purchased this acre-and-a-quarter property in Pioneertown in early 2014 with the goal of building a prototype for Homestead Modern. Homestead Modern No. 1 is the result of that. Pioneertown appealed to me for a number of reasons. As a former movie and TV Western set it has a fun old Hollywood vibe. It also sits amidst a breathtaking tableau of craggy desert mountains and epic flattop buttes – with endless opportunities for high desert exploration. And as a bonus it features one of Southern California’s greatest roadhouses – Pappy & Harriet’s.
What makes this House unique
Homestead Modern No. 1 serves two purposes. First, it is the prototype for the planned line of small homes to be offered by Homestead Modern. Second, it is being offered for short-term vacation rentals. Renters will be able to stay in a brand-new, thoroughly modern, smartly designed home that is just steps away from grand desert adventures – and the memorable music and food at Pappy & Harriet’s.
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 3:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Perfect Desert Hideaway
This was my second stay at Homestead Modern No. 1, and I'm just as impressed the second time as the first. I spent 9 nights of heaven here: 3 nights as a girls getaway, 3 nights alone, and 3 nights with my husband. Everything is thoughtfully and meticulously designed and executed, the view is spectacular and the outdoor areas perfection (those landscaped berms with a buried watering head for each specimen!). The location is great, close to Joshua Tree National Park, sure, but go look for the art installations tucked into the desert right behind the house before the ridge. Pioneertown Mountain Reserve just north of town is also worth a visit with it's ruins, petroglyphs and a murder in its past (hoooo!). Too bad I live in Northern California; otherwise I'd be here every month.
A Perfect Retreat
Homestead Modern No 1 is hands-down one of the top 5 most relaxing places I've ever vacationed. The very modern home, casita next door and adorable Airstream are situated on an incredibly serene spot and the property is very well-appointed. The owners have thought of everything and it was a joy to cook, bbq, read, play games, watch movies and look at the stars from the hot tub.
Feels remote, but still close to area attractions. Highly recommended!
What a great place! It feels remote with a beautiful rugged view from the patio, but it's only a short walk to Pioneertown and a short drive to numerous restaurants and Joshua Tree National Park. We used all three structures on the property - the main house, the casita, and the trailer - and all were comfortable. Communication from the owner/manager was prompt and helpful too.
This was our second time at homestead modern and we loved every minute of it! Thank you to Brad, the house manager, for always making sure our visit is perfection. We cannot wait to return!
Perfect desert getaway!
We had the best time staying at Homestead Modern No 1. Everything was thought out and impeccable. Pioneertown is a fun little town and Pappy and Harriet's was within walking distance. Joshua tree National Park and other must-sees were very accessible from the property. We would highly recommend and can't wait to come back here again!
Perfect place for quiet getaway
We stayed in the main house for 4 nights in the chill of February. It was perfection, stylish and comfortable, set in a vast landscape of shifting light by day and under a curtain of stars by night. Someone carefully thought through every possible detail throughout the house, its design, construction, fittings and furnishings, choosing in each case the best possible solution for style, functionality and comfort. The heat, WiFi, and outdoor grill and firepit all worked great. Although we enjoyed simply relaxing on site, we also had a great time, hiking in Joshua Tree and spending a fun day in Palm Springs (lunch at Norma's at The Parker!). Just be warned, we had zero Verizon cell service at the house, but we knew that might be an issue ahead of time and thought it a small inconvenience given the home's other charms. Needless to say, I'm scheming how to return, this time with friends to share the experience.
Homestead Modern No. 1 is located in Pioneertown, the high desert village that started life as a Hollywood movie and TV set. Surrounding the community is spectacular high desert tableau of craggy peaks, volcanic mesas and wide-open desert vistas stretching for miles. The area is rich in history and natural wonder.
Movie and TV Set
In 1946, Pioneertown was founded by a group of Hollywood investors with dreams of creating a living movie set -- an1870s frontier town with facades for filming and interiors open to the public.
On the outside were stables, saloons, and jails, and on the inside were ice cream parlors, bowling alleys, and motels. Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Russell Hayden, and the Sons of the Pioneers (for whom the town was named) were some of the original investors and personalities who helped build and invent Pioneertown. More than 50 films and several television shows were filmed in Pioneertown throughout the 1940s and 1950s.
Most of the original buildings remain along Mane Street where visitors can envision themselves strolling through a movie set. On many weekends reenactment groups such as Gunfighters for Hire and Mane Street Stampede perform a variety of skits on Mane Street.
Pappy & Harriet’s is only a few blocks away.
The legendary Pappy & Harriet's Pioneertown Palace has been delighting locals and travelers alike since 1982, with its mesquite barbeque, live music, dancing and old-time vibe.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
Cancellation policy: The renter is entitled to a 50% refund up until 30 days prior to arrival, except fees. If the renter cancels less than 30 days in advance, the nightly rate for the nights not spent are not refunded. If the renter arrives and decides to leave early, the nightly rate for the nights not spent are not refunded.