About the property
- House3600 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay3 - 4 nights
Greenbelt views, pool, 14 min. to downtown, designer furnishings & linens
Winner of the ABC Living Well Channel's 'Sweet Retreats' Austin edition and also known as the "Bali-inspired Artist's Retreat".
Welcome! Are you looking for a resort-like atmosphere for your bachelorette weekend? Searching for an inspirational setting for your company retreat or offsite meeting? Hunting for a home with a convivial vibe for your family reunion? If so, your search for a secluded yet accessible Austin home-base is over. Situated on two acres of private green-space on a non-through street, this private oasis offers easy access to ACL, SXSW, F1 (Formula One) and downtown Austin.
Because the Loft House is located Sunset Valley, a tiny independent township in the heart of South Austin, Austin's new maximum occupancy regulations (10 guests max) do not apply. We sleep up to twelve guests comfortably and legally!
2018 SxSW attendees, please confirm your pricing and minimum stay with me before booking.
Hi, I'm Sharon. In 2008, I flew to Bali and filled a container with art, architectural pieces, furniture, marble and building materials. When I returned to Austin I built my dream home in 'Austin's best kept secret', Sunset Valley. This neighborhood features large lots, many old and beautiful trees, horses and abundant wildlife yet its only 14 minutes from downtown. In 2010 the Loft House was awarded five stars (the highest honor) by the Austin Green Building Program, and was featured in the Cool House Architectural Tour and on the Sweet Retreats television program.
The two story, naturally lighted artist's loft, has a flexible floor plan to accommodate a wide range of groups, from families on holiday to small wedding parties to corporate clients. Because I make my living designing and building things, my home is filled with textiles, art, art materials and works in progress. When you arrive you'll notice my obsessive compulsive attention to detail throughout, custom carved teak doors, polished concrete and pebble mosaic floors, natural clay wall finishes, custom light switches, etc. I've been told there's something about the space that fuels the imagination and inspires a sense of play, making it perfect for corporate brainstorming sessions and artist/writer retreats.
The very private outdoor living space offers numerous ways to enjoy the warm Austin weather; eat breakfast in the large screened porch, sip mojitos on the deck or paddle around the lap pool as deer, foxes, mexican eagles and hummingbirds frolic nearby.
WHOLE HOUSE FEATURES:
- Tall ceilings and lots of natural light
- Wireless internet
- onsite free parking
- Sleeps up to 12 people in luxury linens, 100% cotton sheets, world textile coverlets, vintage wool blankets, new pillows and comfortable mattresses. A variety of sleeping arrangements can be arranged.
- Bath and pool towels
- Shampoos and other beauty products, hairdryers and makeup mirrors throughout
LIVING and DINING ROOM:
- Large open living space with two story windows overlook the private green-space
- Raised dining room just off the kitchen with custom dining table and lighted art niche
- A Sonos sound system that you can move to the screened porch
KITCHEN: The fully equipped large kitchen with wrap-around counters that open onto the screened outdoor living and dining area is perfect for parties, foodie reunions and cooking classes.
- Gas stove
- Wall oven and microwave
- Coffee grinder, french presses and automated coffee maker
- Toaster oven
- Cooking equipment (cookie sheets, baking pans, pots and pans, salad spinner)
- Kitchen staples (flour, sugar, baking soda, etc.)
- Outdoor gas grill on the patio
BEDROOMS & BATHROOMS:
The ground floor 'Garden Room' Master Bedroom features...
- Large windows that overlook the pool area. Lots of natural light
- The king sized bed can be reconfigured into two TwinXL beds
- Private bathroom with white pebble mosaic floor and a large soaking tub with a view.
- Towels, hair dryer, lighted magnifying mirror, shampoos and other beauty products are supplied.
- Walk in closet with a washer and dryer
- Private entrance offers access to the pool and outdoor shower
The second-floor 'Sun Room' Master Bedroom features…
- Large windows that overlook the pool and green-space
- Two custom queen-size beds on wheels. (Roll one next to the windows and wake up surrounded by sky)
- Enough room to comfortably fit an extra TwinXL bed if needed
- The next-door bathroom includes a vintage custom etched claw-foot tub/shower, venetian plaster finish, towels, hair dryer, lighted magnifying mirror, shampoos and other beauty products
The ground floor 'Patio' Bedroom features…
- Private entrance
- Private outdoor patio with table, chairs and custom iron gates
- The king sized bed can be reconfigured into two TwinXL beds
- Walk in closet
- Private bathroom with walk in shower, carved sink, towels, hair dryer, lighted magnifying mirror, towels, hair dryer, shampoos and other beauty products
A fourth full bathroom just off the main living space features a tub with a shower, a small vanity area, towels, hair dryer, lighted magnifying mirror, towels, shampoos and other beauty products
SECOND FLOOR LOFT AREAS: The entertainment/conference room that overlooks the main living space features
- Comfortable leather sofas
- 60" plasma smart tv with Netflix online streaming, Hulu, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc.
The 'Sleeping Loft':
- This semi-private space can be configured in a variety of ways:
--- Two king sized beds can be reconfigured into four TwinXL beds
--- A series of folding teak tables can be set up to make it a work space.
--- I have six yoga mats, now its a yoga studio!
- Large teak deck with a gas grill (two grills actually)
- Fifty foot lap pool
- Outdoor shower overlooking the 2 acre lot and dry creek
- Private patio just outside the 'Patio' bedroom
- A large private yard and a dry creek to explore
- Deer, foxes, raccoons, Mexican Eagles, hummingbirds galore
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one hour
- Calendar last updated:
- May 21, 2018
About Sharon Drinkwine
I'm an artist, designer, foodie, film buff and collector of Outsider Art. (I'm an antique show, junk shop and eBay addict!). I designed my house to revolve around the kitchen and the art studio, the two places where I'm most happy. Well, make that three places, I'm happy swimming in my pool too. And oh yeah, I'm happy hanging out with friends on my porch, eating fresh food we just dragged home from the Sunset Valley Farmers Market (only two blocks away). And I'm happy taking walks around my neighborhood visiting the horses and hiking on the nearby nature trails. I guess I'm just generally happy. You see I was born and raised in upstate New York, where the winters are long and cold. Now that I live in Austin, where the weather is warm, the people are friendly and the culture is lively, I'm in heaven!
Sharon Drinkwine purchased this House in 2009
Why Sharon Drinkwine chose Sunset Valley
If you're looking for an out of the ordinary experience with privacy and luxury amenities, and you don't mind driving FOURTEEN MINUTES to where the action is, this is the place.
What makes this House unique
Ask about our Winter Special and our mid-week discounts!
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 3:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
This property was everything you could dream of. Truly unique and equipped with everything you'd need. Everyone was super impressed with the house. Only about a 13 minute uber ride to downtown! The house is in Austin but you feel like you're on a private oasis. I would definitely rebook and recommend anyone wondering about this property to book it asap!
A spacious and interesting house in a great Austin location. Of the many vacation houses I have rented this one was absolutely the best equipped. Everything was clean, plentiful and in good condition.
Relaxing, luxurious, comfortable resort home
I cannot say enough fantastic things about Sharon and her home. My only wish for our stay was that it could have lasted longer!
Amazing get away in Austin!
This house is beautiful! The most relaxing backyard and screened in porch. The owner is so considerate in stocking items in the house that you might need for your stay. Our beds were also so comfortable and everything just felt so serene. We had a lovely visit.
I cannot say enough nice things about this vacation rental. Most of all, I did not feel like I was staying at a vacation rental, rather, I felt like I was staying in a friend's home. The entire house is stocked with everything vactioners might need or want, and for those who love to cook, this is the house to rent. The home is artistic, beautiful, and serene. Will definitely book again if I ever return to Austin.
Thanks so much for this great review Lori! Since I live here part time and love to cook, I tend to collect lots of equipment and ingredients, all for sharing with guests. Please do come back, I loved having you all.
Amazing Escape for any time of year!
It may have been winter in Texas but we certainly felt like we were in Bali in the summertime!! What a wonderful, clean, exquisitely decorated and detailed home. Sharon has thought of every detail and whether is was the little selection of sweets that greeted us when we arrived, the massive binder she provides of information on anything you could want or need, the incredible art and decor, the details gone into labeling various switches so you can quickly feel right at home, the fire pit, pool, porch swings or open concept kitchen and living area we could not have been more comfortable or happy. It truly felt like a tropical get-away. We came for a relaxing birthday weekend with friends and everyone was so impressed with the home we can't wait to return for the next celebration! When it was finally time to leave we had a mishap with one friend leaving early with another friends keys in her car. Our hostess Sharon was incredibly understanding and quickly responded to my text saying to stay as long as we needed while we got the keys driven back! She really is wonderful warm and so gracious to open up this beautiful home to guests. Just a short drive from downtown Austin and a delicious coffee house 2 mins away I couldn't imagining staying anywhere else!
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
Save 3% and more by paying via Paypal. Ask us for details. FAQs: - The renter must be over 25, all children must be over 12. - No smoking or pets. - Check-in after 3 PM, check-out is at 11 AM. Pre-approval is required for changes. - Special events and parties are allowed with owner approval and separate contract. - See sections 15, 16 and 17 of the rental agreement for the Cancellation Policy.