|Minimum Stay||4 - 7 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
The antique and rustic look and feel of this home comes through the moment you walk in. You’ll notice how spacious it is and will find that it certainly accommodates your whole family. You’ll find all the amenities you’ll need for a very memorable vacation. Fortune House has rustic hard-wood floors except in the bedrooms. A fully equipped kitchen with stainless steel fridge/freezer, microwave and stove allow for lots of cooking and the space to do so. There is plenty of dining space with 3 dining tables – 2 are large islands and there is also a round table.
There is also a picnic table outside on the large expansive deck overlooking the beautiful Gulf of Mexico to enjoy your morning coffee. Lots of chairs and loungers to relax while watching the dolphins play. There are 4 bedrooms and 3 baths as well as an upstairs loft. The home features multiple walk-in closets and TV’s for everyone to enjoy. Two of the bedrooms open up to a balcony on the North side of the home and there is also high speed internet should you choose to hop online.
We stayed at Fortune House from July 5, 2014, through July 12. The location was perfect! The beach was beautiful. The house – not so much. This home needs quite a bit of work and updating. The living area and kitchen was not so bad, but the bedrooms and bathrooms were pretty disgusting. Some of the problems we noticed included the following:
1. Sloppy, broken molding around the flooring in the bathrooms.
2. Outdated linoleum floors.
3. Missing toilet paper roll holder in the common bathroom.
4. Broken windowsill in one of the master bedrooms.
5. Missing blinds and broken blinds in the double queen bedroom – had to dress in the bathroom or in the dark, otherwise the people across the street or on the road would receive a show. ☹
6. The queen bed mattresses were lumpy and on old box springs and rusted bed frames.
7. No headboard on one of the king beds and 2 queen beds that led us to discover dusty dirty box springs when the pillows fell behind the mattresses. We knew going in that there weren’t headboards, but the dirty box springs was an unpleasant surprise.
8. The carpet in the bedrooms is old and stained.
9. The ceiling fan in the double queen bedroom was broken – it shook violently when it was on, so much so that the maintenance personnel deemed it dangerous. Wyndham Resort Quest management had a new fan installed while we were there.
10. The deck had screws and nails that protruded up from the boards that caused a couple of minor injuries when they were stepped on. The owners are in the process of fixing the deck – some boards were new, plus scaffolding and other construction materials littered the driveway and underneath the house.
11. Quite a few of the windows throughout the house are old and in need of replacement – they were permanently fogged which affected the view out of those windows.
12. The outdoor picnic table was broken – one of the legs was missing. We were able to take some of the construction materials under the house and create a faux-leg so we could use the table outside.
13. The two plastic Adirondack chairs that appear in the photos for the rental are broken and the management company told us that the owners did not want to replace them because they have had problems with these chairs disappearing.
Overall, this house has quite a bit of potential, but the repairs this house needs resulted in disappointment in our accommodations that were way overpriced in light of all the much-needed repairs.
Rates are subject to change until confirmed.
Quotes do not include reservation fee
20% required to confirm balance due 30 days prior to arrival
Cannot rent to singles under 25
4 night minimum required over Memorial Day and 7 night over July 4th
Offers last minute, military and midweek discounts
Call or email for best available rate