About the property
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay7 nights
House, 3 Bedrooms + Convertible bed(s), 2 Baths, (Sleeps 4-9)
The fishing village of New Harbor is surrounded by beautiful Pemaquid beach, historic Back Cove and one of the most frequently photographed light houses in the world. This home overlooks a working fishing harbor with ferry service to local islands. Launch your canoe or kayak to paddle to lobster co-op for lunch or dinner and enjoy unforgettable views. Walk, run or bike to beaches, harbor ice cream, grocery, bakery, deli, restaurants and shops. Close to Damariscotta, Boothbay, Camden and Rockland. This antique home on a private lot has three bedrooms, two full baths, large eat-in kitchen, living and dining room area. Private back patio, spacious yards and wrap around farmers porch with beautiful harbor views for relaxing, reading, and enjoying the ocean. The countless antiques and orientals create a comfortable homey feeling with all the amenities. Nights are quiet, mornings are beautiful.
Keywords: two story, three bedroom, two bath, ocean view
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one day
- Calendar last updated:
- May 19, 2018
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 3:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
Canceled bookings will not receive a refund
Our wonderful stay in Maine
We had such a beautiful time on our road trip from Lago Vista Texas thru Maine and up into Quebec Canada. Our stay in your quaint, and charming home was warm and welcoming.
The Bakery just down the street was a wonderful surprise to our early morning walks. The lobster shacks provided some of the best moments as well as the GRAND LOBSTER FESTIVAL. We stopped along RT 1 3-4 times buying wild blueberries as well as a few pies. We will absolutely look forward to our next stay in your beautiful sate and your charming home.
Perfect for our family
This home was perfect for our family of 6. We had plenty of room for the kids to play in the large family room and yard. The kitchen was a good size and the wrap around porch was a great place for meals and coffee. The location is great. Right across the street from the harbor and a short walk to many things like Back Cove, a local bake shop, ice cream and small store. Short drive to beach and lighthouse. Its in a low traffic area so I felt safe walking on the road with my kids or riding bikes. The kids enjoyed looking for crabs in the harbor at low tide. You can launch kayaks or boats right across the street. The locals we came across were very friendly. The home owner is friendly and accommodating. Very easy to work with and always got back to me right away when I had questions. We will be back!
So starting with the good things about this rental. Location, Location, Location. A very short walk to a small grocery store and Ice Cream shop. A long walk to the local Co-op fishing wharf and a great restaurant. It is also a very short drive to a sandy beach, rocky shores and picturesque Pemaquid Point. The house had many neat antique decorations and accents. Modern kitchen amenities.
Now the bad....
1. Back door does not lock, well it locks but the lock in the door doesn't secure the door so there is no way to secure your belongings when you leave the house. Not that there is probably much crime in the area but the lack of security might be an issue for some.
2. No family dining space. There is no dining area big enough for the family to sit around. There is a table outside but if there is bad weather the umbrella attached to the table barely covers the table itself.
3. Grill is old and falling apart.
4. Musty smell in the house once the air freshener from the cleaners wore off. Some sort of rotting/growing potatoes in the basement might have been the cause.
5. Zero cell service and no internet at the house even though it has cable and phone service from a provider that could easily provide internet/wireless for those wanting or needing such access.
6. It says two baths but one is just an old tub. There is only one shower that all of us used while there and it is downstairs and all the bedrooms are upstairs.
7. No AC so the steamy Maine summer weeks can make the house stuffy especially towards the evening.
8. Very disjointed and slow communication from the owner. Some times it took weeks and multiple sendings to get answers to simple questions via email. When I brought up a couple of the issues after the week the owner got very snarky.
9. BUGS! Twice I opened kitchen cabinets to find bugs running across the plates. When packing up I saw another bug scurrying in the dresser drawer when I removed my clothes.
I have been coming to the Pemaquid region with family and friends for 30 years, and this is the best rental I've ever had. The house is quintessential Maine coast, well equipped and furnished with lovely antiques. Sit on the porch with your coffee or glass of wine and a good book and you won't want to leave. C. E. Reilly grocery is a short walk away and has everything we needed (and a few things we didn't need, like fresh blueberry donuts). Other recommendations: Take a picnic to the lighthouse park, walk the loop road, and visit the art gallery/co-op when you're there. Check out the Wednesday concert series at the Little Brown Church in Round Pond. Go for a hike at the Hog Island Audubon Center or one of the other nearby nature preserves. Pemaquid Beach is my all-time favorite beach; I love the cold water, but it's lovely to just sit and read even if you don't swim, and it's perfect for kids. For lobster in the rough, try the Pemaquid Co-op up on a hill with a splendid view across Pemaquid Harbor. Shaw's is also a great place for fresh seafood and has an outdoor bar downstairs where you can sip a drink and watch the lobster boats come and go. The Hardy Boat cruises leaving from Shaw's wharf are fun and informative. We went on the seal watch this summer and have also done the puffin watch and Monhegan day trip. As another reviewer said, the Contented Sole is the place to go for oysters and other good things. Sit outside on the dock. A short drive up the road, Damariscotta is great for strolling, shopping (don't miss Renys for amazing bargains and the Maine Coast Book Shop), dining, and arts. Thanks, Reilly, for a great week. We'll be back!
This is a lovely, quiet cottage, large and comfortable, full of charm, with a view of New Harbor, a great walking circuit, a terrific local grocery store a short walk away, one of the most beautiful sandy beaches in Maine just a 10 minute drive away, ditto for the idyllic wharf restaurant, The Contented Sole, where the oysters a great. The perfect place for solitude, but within striking distance of antique stores, beautiful countryside, and boating possibilities (even though we didn't get to that). A very easy-going owner - thank you, Reilly!
It was refreshing to arrive in New Harbor from the Florida heat of our retirement home. We spent many happen times sailing in Penobscot Bay when we lived in Maine. This home, situated on one of the few working harbors in Maine, was very nice. It is very well equipped, and filled with antiques and paintings that probably should not be there. Morning coffee sitting on the porch was special particularly if you had a hot fresh muffin from the local store. This area of the coast is very pretty with Pemaquid being a highlight. Do not miss the Puffin watch trip, or visits to Shaw’s for lobster.