|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
Located on the rugged and picturesque Puna coast of the Big Island, Hale Mohalu Guesthouse is a garden residence in paradise. The lush and verdant district of Puna provides the idyllic setting for this unique botanical retreat.
Situated on twenty-two landscaped acres, the guesthouse commands sweeping ocean views to the east where the sun rises from the Pacific Ocean bathing the expansive garden and stone terrace in the early morning light...If you can pull yourself away, venture out to the nearby geothermal warm pools or the black sand beach for a sunrise swim.
Beautiful Mango wood floors, custom made furnishings from Bali and exceptional art combine to create an experience that is truly unique in the world of vacation rentals. The residence is nestled into a private botanical garden with extensive palm, bamboo, orchid and bromeliad collections, all staged within the context of manicured sweeping lawns and ocean vistas.
Property managers are onsite, comfortably situated away from the main residence to ensure your utmost privacy.
Fresh tropical floral arrangements, all gathered from our exquisite garden, will greet you throughout the entire house. Beautiful linens, comfortable beds and a well equipped kitchen await your arrival.
The owner, Davis Dalbok, creator of Living Green in San Francisco, California, has made his home available as a retreat for discerning guests to enjoy the beauty of the island.
wow this was the best. first of all the photos dont decribe how beautiful it is. this a a huge area with a lychee farm on it. there is a driveway that looks like an botanical gardens and the room is fantastic. every detail is well done. and mike he is such a nice guy. so if you dont book this than it is your own fault. i wanted to stay longer but the journey must go on. i dont know how he has done it but its a piece of paradise. thanks a lot mike for this wonderful experience. aloha anne and clemens
Where to begin? The sights of the spectacular grounds (21 acres of truly world class gardens designed and tended to masterfully), the sweeping views of the ocean down the hill, the sounds of the birds during the day and the coqui at night, the smell of the abundant flowers, the taste of the fruit picked on the property, the kindness and informativeness of the renter, the quality of the home itself, its intuitive layout, exquisite furnishings, and ecological ethos, the funky region of Puna with its down to earth residents, the raw power of the lava meeting the sea (just down the road), the tide pools teaming with fish (just down the road the other way), the farmers market in town (and the natural foods store too): this house is literally perfect, a tremendous offering in a magical place. We are grateful to have had the opportunity to stay here. We will return to the big island just to stay here again.
Upon driving up the long winding driveway of this tropical country estate, my wife and Couldn't help but notice the charm and beauty that exudes from every vantage point of which there were many. This Opihikao property had a magical, serene, Balinese theme that permeates from every nook. Centrally located to Kapoho tide pools, the old Kalapana area, Pahoa and the access road to the lava flows made this properties location ideal for a home base. It was a treat to come home to after a long day of sightseeing because of its relaxing charm. The homes decor was another added feature ; well done and in good-taste and sophistication with works of art from Bali and other parts of Indonesia gave this home a feeling of an exotic palace full of richness and mystique and a fulfillment of an adventure travelers experience. My wife and two children loved the time we spent here and will certainly come back the next time we visit the Hilo and Puna side of the Big Island.
What a truly beautiful place. Everything was as described. There were six of us, two couples and two single people, there for a little R & R after a busy event, and we never felt crowded or in each other's way. We stayed two nights.
The grounds and garden were immaculate. My only suggestion would be that the unused linens in the closet be washed as some smelled a little musty when we went looking for the extra bed we made up in the living room.
Besides a little rest and relaxation, our other goal was to rent bikes in Kalapana and ride out to see the lava flow.....that mission, too, was accomplished, followed by a visit to Uncle Roberts. What a fun time we had! Highly recommended!
The drive up to the main vacation house is worth the price alone. Birds sing from swaying palms that line the fertile path. At once, we feel the house of rest and relaxation living up to its name. The exquisite gardens are only part of the reason we have returned to this hale in the middle of the Garden of Eden, U.S.A. Our host, Mike, greets us once again and we know he is nearby if we need him. We don't, however, because every need is taken care of, thought through, arranged perfectly. Believe me, once you are unplugged from your devices and settle back to let the air and sky claim you as one of theirs, you will be dreaming about how soon you can come back here.....Naomi from Kentfield, CA
Nous avons passé dans cette exceptionnelle maison un séjour inoubliable. La propriété, magnifique, est nichée au coeur d'un véritable jardin botanic rivalisant largement avec des parcs payants. Quel plaisir d'aller ramasser tous les matins litchis, avocats,... Merci à Mike pour son accueil si sympathique.
Un lieu parfait pour se reposer mais aussi pour découvrir tout le Sud Est de Big Island.
This place was beautiful beyond belief! We felt (seven of us in our family) that we were in a tropical botanical garden - actually we were! We were invited to help ourselves to the copious amounts of avocados, passion fruits, and other spices, fruits and nuts that we couldn't believe we were seeing growing for the first time. Michael, the caretaker, gave us a couple tours of the property. We couldn't even eat our way through what was available!
The inside was beautifully and lovingly furnished with Balinese artwork.
Michael was helpful in dispensing useful advice, and when one of our group came down with acute food poisoning , came to our door with healing oils. We were "off the grid": wifi but no cell phones, plenty of solar electricity and hot water. We'd come back on a flash!
Directions to Hale Mohalu
From Hilo - Take Hwy 11 about 4 miles south to Kalapana/ Pahoa Turn Off and make left onto Hwy 130 toward Pahoa.
When you reach Pahoa stay on Hwy130.
You will come to a stoplight.
From the stop light go about 4 miles until you see a scenic outlook sign and shortly after that an orange diamond shaped sign with a side ways T on it that says Kamaili Rd.
Immediately after that you will see a sign that says Ophikao 5.
Make a left here.
We are 2.6 miles from the turn.
We are located on the left side of the road.
You will see a green and red sign that says
13-698 Opihikao Rd.
If you reach the 10mph sign you have gone to far.
If you are using Google maps to find the place please enter- Malama Road, Pahoa 96778 and it will bring up our driveway. Do not enter Malama street, you will get lost.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
1. Smoking is NOT allowed indoors, Smoking is allowed outside only.
2. People other than those in the Guest party set forth above may not stay overnight in the property. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest.
3. The house and property privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
4. Keep the property and all furnishings in good order
5. Only use appliances for their intended uses
6. PETS are not permitted. Pets are currently on the property. Cats are kept outdoors but occasionally guests do let the cat in. The house is cleaned very well and has hardwood floors, which helps in reducing the amount of allergens in the air. Anyone with severe feline or canine allergies should consider this before renting.
7. Housekeeping: There is typically no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included in the unit, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. Daily maid can be provided at a daily rate of $30.00. Weekly cleaning can be provided for $150.00 We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the units. Only designated beach towels (orange towels) can be taken off premises.
8. [Water and Septic: The [cabin/property] is on a catchment and septic systems. The septic system is very effective; however, it will clog up if improper material is flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper.
9. Noise: Please no loud noise after 10pm.
10. Insects: Please be aware that the house is in a lush forested area of the island and can susceptible to insects. Typically these insects are outdoors but can occasionally
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.