|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
Located on the rugged and picturesque Puna coast of the Big Island, Hale Mohalu Guesthouse is a garden residence in paradise. The lush and verdant district of Puna provides the idyllic setting for this unique botanical retreat.
Situated on twenty-two landscaped acres, the guesthouse commands sweeping ocean views to the east where the sun rises from the Pacific Ocean bathing the expansive garden and stone terrace in the early morning light...If you can pull yourself away, venture out to the nearby geothermal warm pools or the black sand beach for a sunrise swim.
Beautiful Mango wood floors, custom made furnishings from Bali and exceptional art combine to create an experience that is truly unique in the world of vacation rentals. The residence is nestled into a private botanical garden with extensive palm, bamboo, orchid and bromeliad collections, all staged within the context of manicured sweeping lawns and ocean vistas.
Property managers are onsite, comfortably situated away from the main residence to ensure your utmost privacy.
Fresh tropical floral arrangements, all gathered from our exquisite garden, will greet you throughout the entire house. Beautiful linens, comfortable beds and a well equipped kitchen await your arrival.
The owner, Davis Dalbok, creator of Living Green in San Francisco, California, has made his home available as a retreat for discerning guests to enjoy the beauty of the island.
wow this was the best. first of all the photos dont decribe how beautiful it is. this a a huge area with a lychee farm on it. there is a driveway that looks like an botanical gardens and the room is fantastic. every detail is well done. and mike he is such a nice guy. so if you dont book this than it is your own fault. i wanted to stay longer but the journey must go on. i dont know how he has done it but its a piece of paradise. thanks a lot mike for this wonderful experience. aloha anne and clemens
House was clean and very functional, we didn't have any issues being off the grid. The yard was wonderful for the kids to play around in and we had plenty of fresh fruit and flowers.
It was such a beautiful place, everything was help nicely and very family friendly. The host was super nice and helpful with us asking for helps with anything. Highly recommended.
Words and pictures can't capture the beauty and amazingness properly of this gorgeous place! We had the pleasure of staying at Hale Mohalu for a week in January. Waking up surrounded in green lushness and falling asleep to a blanket of stars was breath taking. Davis is a delight and has an immaculate eye in decor and landscape design. Mike is gem and so helpful in recommendations and everything you would need for a wonderful stay. The rest of the crew is magical. Try Jacobs's massages. Walk the property picking the most delicious fruits straight off the trees. Wander to the beautiful black sand beaches and lava tidal pools. It's all MAGICAL. Since coming back to the mainland, myself and my party have been missing this incredible place everyday and cannot wait to return to paradise!!
I stayed here over the Christmas holidays with my family and we absolutely loved it . The grounds and gardens are breathtaking. I would find myself walking around in a trance -- it was almost unreal how gorgeous these gardens are. Michael was a gracious and considerate host and he even took the time to take us on a walk to tell us about what was growing there .
The house itself is super comfortable and has everything one could need . It was barely noticeable that it was all solar powered. We were asked to be mindful of turning off lights and unplugging appliances, (and that seems a good habit to do whether one is off the grid or not) and we had all the power we needed. I'd highly recommend staying here -- we all had a wonderful time.
Hale Mohalu is one of the most beautiful, peaceful places on the Big Island and exactly where my heart needed to be! The entire property is an incredible garden that boasts one of the best collections of palms and bamboo anywhere. Plant nerds and photographers will lose hours of time as they stroll through the gardens that flood your view with masses of color and texture. A total bonus is that there are numerous avocado trees, papaya, mango, lemon, lime and a lychee orchard that you are not only welcome to but are encouraged to harvest. The main house was filled with fresh cut flowers from the garden when I arrived. It also has all of the conveniences you'll need during your stay! A great kitchen with stainless steel appliances including a wolf range, full size washer and dryer, hot tub, fresh linens and even a TV and satellite just in case you might want to stay in. The home is filled with art, hand carved Balinese furniture and natural light from all of the windows that face the huge lanai with some views of the ocean. At the back of the property there's even a little Balinese village with cabins! The property manager, Mike, is super helpful and very kind that helps you understand what Aloha truly means. One of the best things about this location is after I went out to explore the island to see the volcano, waterfalls, black sand beaches and even a yoga class just down the hill, I got to come back to a peaceful sanctuary to rest up for the next days adventure. I love that they are conscious about the carbon footprint by using solar power and water catchment. It makes perfect sense to help preserve the beauty of this special place. I made some great friends at Hale Mohalu and I will definitely be back! Aloha & Mahalo!
Directions to Hale Mohalu
From Hilo - Take Hwy 11 about 4 miles south to Kalapana/ Pahoa Turn Off and make left onto Hwy 130 toward Pahoa.
When you reach Pahoa stay on Hwy130.
You will come to a stoplight.
From the stop light go about 4 miles until you see a scenic outlook sign and shortly after that an orange diamond shaped sign with a side ways T on it that says Kamaili Rd.
Immediately after that you will see a sign that says Ophikao 5.
Make a left here.
We are 2.6 miles from the turn.
We are located on the left side of the road.
You will see a green and red sign that says
13-698 Opihikao Rd.
If you reach the 10mph sign you have gone to far.
If you are using Google maps to find the place please enter- Malama Road, Pahoa 96778 and it will bring up our driveway. Do not enter Malama street, you will get lost.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
1. Smoking is NOT allowed indoors, Smoking is allowed outside only.
2. People other than those in the Guest party set forth above may not stay overnight in the property. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest.
3. The house and property privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
4. Keep the property and all furnishings in good order
5. Only use appliances for their intended uses
6. PETS are not permitted. Pets are currently on the property. Cats are kept outdoors but occasionally guests do let the cat in. The house is cleaned very well and has hardwood floors, which helps in reducing the amount of allergens in the air. Anyone with severe feline or canine allergies should consider this before renting.
7. Housekeeping: There is typically no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included in the unit, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. Daily maid can be provided at a daily rate of $30.00. Weekly cleaning can be provided for $150.00 We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the units. Only designated beach towels (orange towels) can be taken off premises.
8. [Water and Septic: The [cabin/property] is on a catchment and septic systems. The septic system is very effective; however, it will clog up if improper material is flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper.
9. Noise: Please no loud noise after 10pm.
10. Insects: Please be aware that the house is in a lush forested area of the island and can susceptible to insects. Typically these insects are outdoors but can occasionally
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Learn more about this vacation rental at the manager's website: