|Space||1,400 sq. ft.|
|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
Located on the rugged and picturesque Puna coast of the Big Island, Hale Mohalu Guesthouse is a garden residence in paradise. The lush and verdant district of Puna provides the idyllic setting for this unique botanical retreat.
Situated on twenty-two landscaped acres, the guesthouse commands sweeping ocean views to the east where the sun rises from the Pacific Ocean bathing the expansive garden and stone terrace in the early morning light...If you can pull yourself away, venture out to the nearby geothermal warm pools or the black sand beach for a sunrise swim.
Beautiful Mango wood floors, custom made furnishings from Bali and exceptional art combine to create an experience that is truly unique in the world of vacation rentals. The residence is nestled into a private botanical garden with extensive palm, bamboo, orchid and bromeliad collections, all staged within the context of manicured sweeping lawns and ocean vistas.
Property managers are onsite, comfortably situated away from the main residence to ensure your utmost privacy.
Fresh tropical floral arrangements, all gathered from our exquisite garden, will greet you throughout the entire house. Beautiful linens, comfortable beds and a well equipped kitchen await your arrival.
The owner, Davis Dalbok, creator of Living Green in San Francisco, California, has made his home available as a retreat for discerning guests to enjoy the beauty of the island.
wow this was the best. first of all the photos dont decribe how beautiful it is. this a a huge area with a lychee farm on it. there is a driveway that looks like an botanical gardens and the room is fantastic. every detail is well done. and mike he is such a nice guy. so if you dont book this than it is your own fault. i wanted to stay longer but the journey must go on. i dont know how he has done it but its a piece of paradise. thanks a lot mike for this wonderful experience. aloha anne and clemens
This place exceeded our expectations! Plenty of room for our family of 7 and the house had everything we needed. After almost a week on the Kona side this was a refreshing change and so relaxing. The house and the grounds are just breathtaking! The location is still very accessible to a lot of things to do and close enough to just go back and take in the beauty all around and get some R&R in. The owners always provided prompt responses to our questions and those on site were so helpful whenever we needed anything! At the same time we always felt we had complete privacy! Highly recommend this place if you want to get away from things a bit but also still want to explore the Hilo side. Mahalo!
My family and I have frequented this fabulous vacation rental many times since 2013. I seek the Big Island for relaxation and restoration. So fortunate to have found Hale Mohalu. Full of wondrous and thoughtfully crafted gardens, exquisite orchids grafted amongst the palms. Avocado and lychee groves nestled in 20+ acres atop a sweeping vista, all with the most breathtaking view. Privacy and luxury assured at this three bedroom home, which is consistently clean and welcoming. Equipped with a gourmet kitchen and choice linens. A Helpful staff is there to provide inside tips about the Big Island. Lava tours, onsite message and even a cleaning service! With close access to Volcano National Park. This side of the island is abundant in beautiful tide pools and is ideal for hiking. I've traveled most of the Big island and a good part of Hawaii. No other location compares and, thus my family returns to Hale Mohalu. I would highly recommend this residence for personal and family use, friends, romantic getaways, the discerning traveler and undoubtably, weddings or party's. Aloha!
The house was very clean and well equipped. Beds were comfortable.
Beautiful view from the living room and lanai. Grounds were great for stolling in the evening with lots of bird song. Caretaker lives on the property so any needs or concerns were looked after promptly.
Would definately recommend this as a place to stay for a couple, family or group.
My wife and I and our three children stayed here in December and absolutely loved it. The house was just as the pictures described. The grounds were gorgeous and we enjoyed being able to eat some of the fruit grown on the grounds. Michael was a wonderful host and helped us out especially when we accidentally left our son's pillow. We hated to leave it and would not hesitate to come back again.
Staying here was one of the best parts of our vacation. We loved the gorgeous setting of the property and cozy secluded location of the house. Waking up and having coffee on the patio overlooking tropical flowers and foliage was a treat every morning. Mike was a great host and made extra efforts to accommodate our requests. 5 stars! Highly recommend!
An absolutely beautiful place! Room for six or more, but it was just my wife and me. We enjoyed the serenity, the wonderful plants, and the natural feel. Lots of coqui frogs at night, and amazing stars. The kitchen is fully equipped, except for a microwave. It is off the grid, but you'd scarcely notice. Convenient to the Kapoho tide pools, the village of Pahoa, and the clothing optional black sand beach. (Property itself is also clothing optional, so we did not go to the beach) A bit of a distance from Hilo, about a 40 minute drive, so if you are doing things in that area, you do need to plan.
I would recommend this to anyone who has the desire to enjoy their time in Hawaii away from crowds, and in a lush setting. Mike, who manages the property was very helpful, yet we rarely saw him!
Directions to Hale Mohalu
From Hilo - Take Hwy 11 about 4 miles south to Kalapana/ Pahoa Turn Off and make left onto Hwy 130 toward Pahoa.
When you reach Pahoa stay on Hwy130.
You will come to a stoplight.
From the stop light go about 4 miles until you see a scenic outlook sign and shortly after that an orange diamond shaped sign with a side ways T on it that says Kamaili Rd.
Immediately after that you will see a sign that says Ophikao 5.
Make a left here.
We are 2.6 miles from the turn.
We are located on the left side of the road.
You will see a green and red sign that says
13-698 Opihikao Rd.
If you reach the 10mph sign you have gone to far.
If you are using Google maps to find the place please enter- Malama Road, Pahoa 96778 and it will bring up our driveway. Do not enter Malama street, you will get lost.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
1. Smoking is NOT allowed indoors, Smoking is allowed outside only.
2. People other than those in the Guest party set forth above may not stay overnight in the property. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest.
3. The house and property privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
4. Keep the property and all furnishings in good order
5. Only use appliances for their intended uses
6. PETS are not permitted. Pets are currently on the property. Cats are kept outdoors but occasionally guests do let the cat in. The house is cleaned very well and has hardwood floors, which helps in reducing the amount of allergens in the air. Anyone with severe feline or canine allergies should consider this before renting.
7. Housekeeping: There is typically no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included in the unit, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. Daily maid can be provided at a daily rate of $30.00. Weekly cleaning can be provided for $150.00 We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the units. Only designated beach towels (orange towels) can be taken off premises.
8. [Water and Septic: The [cabin/property] is on a catchment and septic systems. The septic system is very effective; however, it will clog up if improper material is flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper.
9. Noise: Please no loud noise after 10pm.
10. Insects: Please be aware that the house is in a lush forested area of the island and can susceptible to insects. Typically these insects are outdoors but can occasionally
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.