|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
Welcome to our little paradise in the woods....Please, come and stay awhile. Enter the front gate and leave the world behind. You will be greeted by our redwood sentries and the sound of trickling water. With an instant calm, you’ll know it’s time to relax and enjoy!
The house is nestled among the trees along the upper bank of the Eel River. You can walk along your own private path to its shore through the wild wooded walkway that leads through the property. On the river, you can hunt for rocks and fossils, play with your kids or your dog, wade in the water or fish for salmon and steelhead.
The yard is like your own private park. There are magnificent redwoods, ferns, and rhododendrons among many other native and blooming plants. Rio Dell sits along a bird migration route so there are many birds to enjoy at various times of the year. There are seed and nut feeders for you to fill (we provide the food) so that you can sit and enjoy the birds and the squirrels. We have an inviting fire pit area for roasting marshmallows or simply enjoying a warm, outdoor fire. Break out that guitar for an evening of singing around the campfire.
Inside, you will find a comfortable living space that is quaintly decorated. Large windows in the living room and dining area afford a sweeping view of the yard and the river beyond. There is a 55” LED TV and a wireless Blu-Ray player. We provide a small library of regular DVDs (bring your own blu-rays) plus hundreds of free, online Netflix movies. The living room easily seats 8 or 9. Our "shabby chic" queen sofa-bed is very comfy for sitting or sleeping (it has no “bar in the back”). Our gas wood stove, with its burning logs, really cozies up the place without the fuss or mess of a real wood fire.
Bring your iPod and plug it in to our Bose docking station to enjoy your favorite tunes. There is plenty to read as we keep our entire library of books in this house. We also keep an assortment of games for all ages. Bring your laptop and either plug in or connect via wi-fi for your surfing pleasure.
The kitchen is fully equipped and has a few extras including filtered drinking water, a latte machine, a coffee bean grinder, a bread machine, a toaster oven, a 5 qt crock pot and a gas grill outside. The dining table seats 4 and there is a foldaway table that seats an additional 4 There are also 4 TV trays for the living room.
The Library room sleeps 2. It has a daybed with a trundle. The Bunk room sleeps 3. It has a bunk bed with a trundle plus a small TV with a built-in DVD player. The Big Bear room is the master bedroom and it has a queen size "Sleep Number" bed – we get our best nights sleep on this mattress. You can adjust the firmness separately on both sides to suit your comfort. This room has a private bathroom. We have provided high quality bedding in every room so that you'll sleep well!
If you chose to step outside the sanctuary of our “Redwoods on the River” home, you will find a wonderful world of things to do!
There is a small market nearby for those emergency “geez, I forgot” moments. Also, just 5 miles north on Hwy 101, the town of Fortuna has most everything you need. This includes 2 major grocery stores, fast food and full service restaurants, a small movie theatre and even a Starbucks! If you want more choices as well as a mall, Eureka is located just 25 miles north.
Things to do:
• Scout for Fossils all along the Eel River and especially near the Scotia Bluffs. You can walk to the bluffs from the house. The area is well renowned for its fossils.
• Visit the fabulous Chapman’s Gem and Mineral Shop -3 miles North on Hwy 101. It has a great rock and mineral museum you’re sure to enjoy.
• Go Antique shopping in Fortuna, Ferndale or Eureka.
• Step into the 18th century with a visit to the Victorian Village of Ferndale! You can shop, eat, peruse art galleries or take a stroll to marvel at the beautifully preserved Victorian architecture -just 15 miles away.
• Tour the Loleta Creamery where they manufacture organic cheese. The tour is interesting, educational and delicious!- 13 miles north on Hwy 101.
• Drive the scenic Lost Coast which is the most undeveloped wilderness on the CA coast. There are tide pools at the ocean so be sure to time your trip for low tide. The drive will take the better part of a day so gas up and pack your lunch. There are also hiking trails and campsites for a more extended adventure.
• Drive the 35 mile scenic road though the Avenue of the Giants which is 7 miles south of Rio Dell off Hwy 101. Whether you hike, bike or drive, you will encounter some of the oldest and tallest trees in the world. This forest has never been logged! Humboldt Redwoods State Park is entwined with the Avenue so you can go to the Visitor's Center to learn about the diverse coastal redwood ecosystems and pick up a trail map.
• Hike a dog friendly trail in the redwoods or on the beach– we have a list of dog friendly places at the house.
• Go bird watching at the Humboldt County National Wildlife Refuge. Don’t forget your binoculars and camera! This is a natural bird migration route and many birds nest here at the southern tip of Humboldt Bay. 16 miles north off Hwy 101.
• Walk on a quiet beach – 30 minutes drive.
• Find a swimming hole and jump in.(we have a list of local swimming holes at the house)
• Find a fishing hole on the river or in the surf and cast your line. Or join a guided ocean or river fishing trip. We have World Class fishing here on the North Coast!
• Bring a canoe or kayak and paddle the river, the bay or the ocean.
• Golf at the Redwood Empire Golf Course in Fortuna
• Enjoy some Vegas style action at the Bear River Casino near Loleta! – 13 miles north off Hwy 101
By all means, whatever you do, DON’T FORGET YOUR CAMERA!
Keywords: House, Home, River, Trees, Redwoods, Fishing, Hiking, Biking
Hi, We're Doug and Carol. This little house in the redwoods will be our retirement home one day! We love to come here by ourselves and with our family. We must know every curve in the road between here and Santa Rosa by now! We've invested a great deal of hard work into this house over the years and we're proud to share it with you. We got married here in 2006 and we've spent many holidays with our family in this house. Our two beagles, Rocky and Bailey, have the time of their lives in Rio Dell. The backyard is big enough for them to run, run, run and it's made just right for sniffing!
Carol Shuping purchased this house in 2000
We love the beautiful big redwood trees and the river. We also love the proximity to the ocean here in the "banana belt" of Humboldt County. The ocean is close enough for a short drive but far enough for more sunny weather. The Redwood Forest with it's coastal beaches is an inspiring part of the world.
Privacy – we love the feel of privacy without real remoteness. Although we’re in town with city water and neighbors on both sides, there is nothing behind us but the river and a mountain. You can see the river through the trees and hear it rushing down below! We also love the big trees and the ferns that make the yard feel like a park. It’s a wonderful place to hang out with the dogs and the grandkids!
This was a great place to stay! The owners were great, the place was clean, it had almost everything you could need- except bring salt with you! I brought some just in case- which was great bc all I found was pepper in the kitchen. However- that is the only negative thing to say bc everythjng else was great!
I think I may have already written a review, but I can't say it enough. This was the perfect place for my family. Beautiful location. Close to so much! Could not have found a better place.
The house is very nicely set-up and equipped for a comfortable and convenient family vacation. Communication was good and access was convenient. Landscaping and redwoods in backyard are beautiful! House is very well maintained. Kitchen is pretty well equipped with blender, coffee maker, espresso machine (coffee in the freezer!), knives, utensils, pots, pants, etc. Good internet connection. Very nice to have Netflix and smart TV and comfortable couches to relax after a day of exploring Humboldt Redwoods or the coast.
The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is the Sleep Number bed in the master bedroom. We found it quite uncomfortable and difficult to sleep on, worse than others we've slept on previously. A friend who has one said that the foam portion of the Sleep Number beds wears out eventually and needs to be replaced, so perhaps that's the issue here. Additionally, this bed and the bed in the front bedroom both squeak loudly in response to any movement.
Other than these bed issues - which some people may not be bothered by - everything was wonderful and we would stay there again.
The simple facade belies the gorgeous gardens and redwoods behind this home. We enjoyed the walk down to Eel Creek, which was mostly dry but filled with interesting pebbles to collect. The owners have created a lovely path down to the creek bed. We understand it was the dry season, so the creek was not flowing. The owners thoughtfully provided all the amenities you could want, and the house was charming. There was no dishwasher but that was not a problem. The location was perfect for access to Humbolt State Forest. We also enjoyed Trinidad and Ferndale. The description and photos were quite accurate, and the property was immaculate.
We were in town for our sons wedding and were so glad we rented this house!! So much room. Everything we needed from broom, laundry soap, tons of movies, books, game, ground coffee and most amazing view. Not fans of sleep number bed in master but comfy beds. Impressed that special needs people have been hired to clean! Great communication. Easy instruction for checking in and out. We are already planning to make this our annual stay.
Very warm and inviting. The entrance way and landscaping of back yard were beautiful. Owner did a great job of laying out the details of entry, etc. House was very well stocked with necessities. Very pleasant stay
Search for fossils along the banks of the Eel River, hike or bike among the giant redwoods, visit historical Ferndale, walk on the beach, take a scenic drive, visit the quaint shops of the old downtown area of Eureka.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
Jan 2 2017 - Mar 31 2017
2 night minimum stay
Apr 1 2017 - May 31 2017
2 night minimum stay
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Property Damage Protection||$59|
|Pet Fee||$5 + Tax|