About the property
- House2500 sq. ft.
- Half Baths1
- Minimum Stay3 - 7 nights
House, 3 Bedrooms + Sunroom, 2.5 Baths, (Sleeps 6)
Casa Joya (or 'jewel house'), offers you The Best of Both Worlds with The History of Colonial San Miguel and the Vibrancy of Contemporary Mexico.
- A beautiful newly constructed home (completed in 2007)
- Designed by internationally renowned San Miguel resident architects House + House
- A showcase of the amazing architecture of Mexico today
- Contemporary styling with walls of glass and high ceilings
- Sunny and full of light, a rare feature in many San Miguel houses.
- Warm, soothing colors
- Stylishly and comfortably furnished
- Regional art throughout
- Wonderful views from inside and out
- Featured in the book, Houses in the Sun
- Selected to be on the SMA House and Garden Tour
Casa Joya is in a wonderful location of the Historic Center:
- Close to all you’d want to see and do but on a quiet residential walkway, away from traffic noise
- Located in the UNESCO World Heritage Historic Centro
- An easy 10-minute (or less) stroll to the Jardin (the Central Plaza)
- Just 2 blocks from the main Mercado (offering an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables, flowers, meat and poultry)
- Just 2 blocks from the wonderful, must-see Artisan Market
Details of the House:
- Three (3) floors and 2500 square ft. offer both a feeling of space and privacy
- Master bedroom on first floor with king bed and en-suite bathroom
- Well equipped kitchen for those who love to cook -- set up for ease and convenience.
- A patio off the kitchen features a dramatic two-story water wall sculpture studded with cobblestones
- Two bedrooms on the 2nd floor: one with a queen bed and the other with two twins. The twin beds can also be converted into a second king bed
- 2nd bathroom has striking tile work and polished concrete details (see photo).
- Family room on the 3rd floor views, flat screen HD TV, DVD player and hidden mini-fridge. Also has a pull out couch.
- Inviting and comfortable roof terrace with wonderful vistas of the historic town center. Partially covered so it is perfect for day or evening. Ideal for quiet reading, cocktails, conversation, and watching twilight and evening fall over San Miguel's historic skyline
- A second terrace has unparalleled views of five of San Miguel's major churches and the western mountain sunsets
- Maid service 3x weekly. Cleaning, laundry, and shopping (if requested). Light cooking (breakfast or an occasional comida) is offered for an extra fee
- Vonage Phone Service for free long distance calling -- Using our dedicated Vonage phone you can make free telephone calls to and from anywhere in the U.S.
Here is what recent visitors Peter and Jackie from Ontario, Canada had to say about Casa Joya:
'Our very favorite place to stay, Casa Joya has so many wonderful attributes. Among them are its stunning views of the city and the surrounding Sierra, its perfect location so close to the center of San Miguel, and the marvel of the Casa itself, beautifully designed and the terrace is so beautifully lit at night it makes one wonder if its all real. It is so light and airy that the interior and courtyards seem to be one. We spent four weeks there and we highly recommend it.'
Keywords: Home, House, Vacation Rental, Vacation Home, San Miguel Rental Home, San Miguel Vacation Rental, San Miguel Vacation Home, Vacation Home San Miguel Centro
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- English, Spanish
- Calendar last updated:
- May 21, 2018
About Annie Reutinger
My husband and I have traveled the globe for fun and work our entire 20+ years together. We have homes in San Francisco where we are originally from and now New York where we chose to move because business allowed. When we first saw San Miguel de Allende, it was introduced to us by the architects who remodeled our home in San Francisco in 1999. They own and build many homes in San Miguel and were raving about this absolutely magical 450-year old colonial town in Mexico. We fell under it's spell the first time we visited with our children, bought a piece of land in the historic center, and with these same architects built a dream vacation home for ourselves. We love all things cultural, hence our delight in living outside of NYC, and historical, but wanted a more relaxed environment to get away to. San Miguel fits all of these characteristics like a charm!
Annie Reutinger purchased this House in 2007
Why Annie Reutinger chose Zona Centro
Centro Historic is the epicenter of San Miguel's vibrant life. This area is not only beautiful and historic, but where you will find most of the town's restaurants, cultural events (music, film and lectures), galleries, shopping and it's numerous and not to be missed regional and religious festivals. As San Miguel is truly a walking town, living in and around Centro Historico gives you easy access to all the best of what SMA has to offer and Casa Joya is perfectly located to reach any the town's best attractions easily by foot.
What makes this House unique
We built Casa Joya to be a home away from home, making sure it was comfortable and functional as well as a delight to the eye. Casa Joya is: - a beautiful art-filled contemporary Mexican modern home, complete with all the amenities one would want for an extended stay - in the heart of the Historic Center but in very quiet neighborhood - perfectly located to reach any the town's best attractions by foot. San Miguel is a walking town - only two short blocks from the famed covered market and artisan shopping district - just blocks from main square or 'Jardin' - easy walking distance to numerous restaurants, shopping, antiquing and the epicenter of all regional and artistic festivals - Vonage phone service -- free calls to and from anywhere in the U.S.
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
We enjoyed our stay in this architecturally fabulous home. It’s a flat walk to the Jardin - a real plus in San Miguel - and the view from the roof deck is beautiful. Lots of room to spread out and enjoy a unique city.
Staying at Casa Joya
This is a wonderful house, designed by architects in the Mexican style but with the addition of lots of natural light. I first stayed here six years ago and was thrilled to see it was available this winter. The upper deck with its view of the town is especially great, and it's the perfect place for a drink in the early evening as we watch the sunset. The location is perfect -- not in the very center of action but only a short walk away, via the Mercado. The management and also Marte who cleans three days a week are responsive, helpful, and thorough, and the house offers every amenity, including a washer and dryer. For restaurant meals we love La Parada, Don Tacos and Tequila, El Posadita, El Pegaso, Hecho en Mexico, and Bistro San Antonio. Favorite activities include visits to the exceptional Mask Musuem, the Botanic Garden, the Historical Museum next door to the Parroquia, and of course, the Jardin itself. This is my sixth visit to San Miguel, but I'll keep coming if this house is where I stay.
Loved Our Time at Casa Joya!
We loved our time in San Miguel and Casa Joya! The rooftop deck was the perfect place to relax after a day of exploring. Marta and Sheila were extremely helpful, and we felt looked after and very comfortable. And wow, this city! The food, the sights, the incredibly friendly people - all memorable. Your instructions and advice in the two white binders were great. THANK YOU for everything!
Wonderful Stay at Casa Joya!
What a wonderful stay in SMA! From when we entered your lovely home and upon leaving we felt welcomed, comfortable and entertained. Casa Joya is a special place. The property manager Sheila greeted us upon arrival and gave us the "lay of the land". Two greeting books left on the table directed us to the best places to eat, visit and explore. We had nothing but great experiences with the suggestions! We hope to return to SMA very soon.
Stayed her for a handful of days in this surprisingly beautiful town and wish it could have been longer. The is well located - very close to the jardin but also a little secluded - perfect. The design is thoughtful, creative and very comfortable. The hosts are very accommodateing - couldn't ask for more. Highly recommended!
Thanks for your comments. We make ever effort to blend the elegance of Casa Joya with the vibrancy of San Miguel. We chose the location carefully: close to the Mercado for shopping, the main square (called the Jardin) and all of the other main locations such as the top restaurants etc. of the Centro Historico and still located ideally for tranquility. So glad you appreciated the total experience.
Casa Joya was a wonderful house for our recent visit. It was very conveniently located. As soon as you enter you feel immersed in the culture. Even with our young child we were able to easily walk to all the restaurants museums and sightseeing without ever feeling tired or stretched for time. The house is lovely and has a beautiful terrace with incredible views of the Parroquia. Annie, Sheila and the driver were very gracious and always available to help in anyway. San Miguel is a magical place and Casa Joya was part of the wonderful experience.
Mukta, many thanks for your kind words. Iona and I are so happy you had a great time. And our support staff enjoyed and appreciated your enthusiasm and graciousness too. Please come back soon!
Art Galleries, Well Known Art Schools, Highly Regarded Spanish Language Schools, Cooking Schools, Hot Springs, ATV Rentals, Bontanical Gardens, Sight-Seeing, Historic Sites, Regional Festivals.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
Minimum stay 3 nights. Per night stay under 7 days is $250/night mid-week. Weekend rates (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) are $334/night.