|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
Bright, clean, sunny and spacious flat in Oceanview just steps from Fourth Street and convenient to UC and San Francisco. IF THIS FLAT IS BOOKED SEE OUR SECOND VRBO LISTING # 206569 FOR AVAILABILITY in the popular sister upper flat with similar period decorating and streamline modern conveniences. Both are pet, child and eco friendly and impeccably remodeled just this summer!
Stay in the most historic and visited neighborhood in Berkeley, in one of its best renovated Victorians! Just steps from the popular tourist destination Fourth Street where shopping, boutiques, and restaurants abound, enjoy the oldest neighborhood in Berkeley. Oceanview, with historic landmark homes and businesses.
OCEANVIEW: Oceanview has it all – artists’ lofts, open studios, quaint cafes, landmark Victorian homes, high end boutiques, retail outlets, many restaurants and eateries, the Berkeley Marina, Aquatic Park, Peet’s Coffee, Scharffenberger chocolate factory, the Wooden Duck, Studio Grow a huge children's indoor play space, a Vivarium and much, much more.
MITCHELL HOUSE: this stunning lower flat in an 1896 Eastlake Victorian is an amazing residential space to meet your vacationing needs. The space has 12 foot ceilings, floor to ceiling recessed bay windows, hardwood oak floors, and curved moldings and woodwork.
The flat has been renovated with sustainable and 'green' methods and materials. Original lathe and plaster walls have been maintained and filled with cotton denim insulation. Zero-voc eco paints in custom mixed vintage colors were used through out the rooms. Victorian woodwork was salvaged and incorporated with custom carpentry. Zero-voc grout sealant and caulk were used in the custom tile work. Only non toxic cleaners and products are used by housekeeping. Guests can feel good personally and ethically about the methods used to remodel and maintain this space.
- Parlor boasts wall mounted 40’ plasma TV with digital DVR, plush velvet seating, antique expandable trestle dining table, and large pocket doors.
- Kitchen is newly remodeled with period hardware and cabinetry.
- Master bedroom suite has king size bed, down alternative comforter, high count organic cotton sheets, cable T.V. with DVR and DVD player, ensuite bath with custom handmade Italian tile, and private deck with outdoor curtains, arbor and vines.
- Front bedroom/office has substantial desk space with Dell computer equipped for use, scanner/copier, fax machine, flat screen monitor and high speed internet. The room features stunning Victorian bay windows (bright and sunny), a loveseat, and a new firm queen size bed with comforter and high-end organic linens.
- Half bath/laundry room features high end energy efficient front-loading washer/dryer and period appropriate Victorian style pedestal sink and fixtures.
- High speed wireless internet, DVD library, free dedicated local and U.S long distance phone line, and a stylish IPOD/CD player sound system are further accommodations.
- Small private deck overlooking the beautifully landscaped and tranquil backyard offers a perfect spot for morning coffee or watching the kids play. Smith and Hawken outdoor glass dining set in yard seats 6-8 with further seating and tables available.
- Large, sunny, level backyard with sculpted lawn, custom built sandbox and deep planter box perimeter, scented flowers and vines: lavender, honeysuckle, jasmine, wisteria and fruit trees: apple, plum, apricot, walnut and blueberries. Mermaid fountain rests on handcut flagstone patio. Birdfeeders and birdbaths attract hummingbirds, cardinals, bluebirds, finches and a quartet of friendly bright green and red parrots who neighbors believe broke from the famous 'Telegraph Hill' gang. The ample yard has several seating areas and a new stainless BBQ gas grill.
Pets are welcome with an added deposit and housekeeping staff clean with HEPA hospital grade Swiss vacuums and air filters between every guest stay. Maid service option available weekly for longer staying guests.
We have equipped the flat with everything you need – don’t pack too much – as we provide eco friendly soaps, shampoos, toiletries, as well as a DVD and reading library, towels, linens, kitchen ware, etc.
The IDEAL LOCATION:
We are happy to offer information on local eateries, sights and shopping. We are also happy to guide you in any search for child friendly or pet friendly activities and businesses.
Perfect for a quiet romantic stay, a stimulating visit with friends or family, a central spot for sightseeing trips to Napa, San Francisco, Sausalito, Muir Woods, and UC Berkeley.
We are a 3 minute drive and fifteen minute walk to the North Berkeley BART Station with easy access to all San Francisco, Oakland and other Bay Area destinations. We are just off the main Berkeley exit of Interstate 80, University Avenue, which both leads directly to the Bay Bridge into San Francisco or up to the entrance of the University of California campus. And we are 3 blocks away from the most visited area of Berkeley - the Fourth Street district with unique and coveted shopping, art and food.
Guests who have stayed in the space as well as in our upper flat have raved about it. It is truly unique. This is not a converted extra space in someone’s house. This is a full story of a two floor Eastlake Victorian with lots and lots of light and scenery. It's the sunniest, prettiest spot you’ll find to stay in Berkeley’s buzzing Oceanview district – don’t miss out!
The upper flat is also available for rental (vrbo listing 206569) – it is a similar space with equivalent appointments – see our other ad and inquire if you are interested in renting both together for wedding parties, graduations, reunion and family get-togethers - sleeps (8-10) with extra queen raised bed available.
Keywords: House/Full furnished Flat
Spacious old Victorian well appointed and comfortable. Yard well equipped for kids, pets. Well stocked with the essentials. Shopping nearby, BART an easy walk.
Wonderful stay in Berkeley in the Mitchell apartment. Pear and Brad could not have been more helpful throughout the stay, and the apartment, garden and location (some seriously good places to eat / shop along San Pablo) were all perfect. We're a family of five and stayed for a full two months and never felt cramped. In fact it was a shame to have to return home!
One other small note - based on the photos I wasn't sure there was a proper table for family dining in the kitchen. Rest assured there is. It's just not in the photos.
Good price and location. Owner did NOT return our call when we arrived concerning parking arrangements and fold away bed. We left two phone numbers for them to call back, but no reply. (A note on the kitchen counter stated that we needed to call them to arrange for parking in driveway.) We figured out how to set up the inflatable air mattress on our own after we found it in the den closet. House is nice, although back porch sitting area was quite dirty when we arrived. No air conditioning. Nice neighborhood. Parking on street was iffy....but we usually managed to find parking nearby. Very convenient location for sightseeing in Bay area, near highways and lots of attractions. Loved Fourth St., especially Bette's Oceanview Diner, which I highly recommend for breakfast. I would recommend this property, but make sure parking arrangements (they have a driveway) are clear before you accept. The air inflated bed was fairly comfortable, and the bedrooms were very comfortable and roomy. Very nice, attractive bathrooms and pretty garden in backyard.
My family and I rented both the upper and the lower flat during the months of July, August and part of September (2012). We love everything. the location is good, close to the shops and restaurants on fourth street. the flats are bright, well ventilated, the garden is very charming and the view of the upper flat is wonderful. We had unforgettable moments at the Mitchel House and I believe we left friends too. My daughter Paula always remembers the games in the garden with her new friend, the princess Eve.. Pear and Brad were very attentive, friendly and available. I'm sure when I get back to Bedrkeley we will love to stay in the same place.
Folks, I accidently put my review for another property under this one. Can you please remove it?
Bob from Littleton
My wife, daughter and I just got back from a week at this wonderful house in Berkeley where we had a fine time. The house is filled with historic touches and modern amenities, is spotless and has a fine back yard. It is walking distance to the Fourth Street shopping and dining area and very close to downtown Berkeley, campus and the Telegraph Ave area too. The upper flat is meticulously maintained and many nice touches were added by the owner.
Only possible negatives were train noises (bothered me more than wife and daughter) and a bit of confusion about check out dates which were painlessly resolved. Both of these barely deserve mention. Highly recommended, we'd stay here again in a hearbeat.
Minutes from the Berkeley Marina with boating, waterfront restaurants, and large bayside landscaped parks for kite flying, hiking, trail walking, windsurfing, etc.
Just 5 minute drive from largest off leash dog park in the nation - Point Isabel Regional Shoreline with trails, shorebird sanctuary and panaoramic views of both bridges and the bay.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Refundable damage deposit||$500|
Guests electing to stay with pets must provide a larger security deposit of $975.00 - refundable pending no damage to the flats.
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.