About the property
- House1291 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay3 nights
ED Refnr. 1330055
Our house is in the tiny village of Olgiasca, which forms part of the bigger village of Colico, the northernmost village on the East coast of Lake Como. Olgiasca is situated on a peninsula famous for a medieval abbey, the Abbazia di Piona. It is one of the most unspoilt parts of the lake. Olgiasca itself has 200 inhabitants, and the tiny village consists of very attractive stone houses reminiscent of the Swiss mountain style. Our house is part of a condominium of 14, which share common grounds and most of all a swiming pool (open from June until September). It is not a flat, however, and we are totally independent from every point of view.
A flight of steps takes you right to the top of the property (we were the first to buy, and therefore managed to choose the most enchanting view of the lake).
1) The first thing you encounter is a delightful patio with table and chairs, covered by a shady pergola of vine. It is very pleasant and calm, ideal for anyone who has to work or study.
2) You enter into a big open space terracotta-tiled living-sitting room cum kitchen (fully equipped with dishwasher etc), with many windows affording the most beautiful view on Lake Como and a lovely big sittee with lots of children’s books both in English and Italian. There are two beds in here (sofa-bed with another bed underneath)
3) From here you have access to a terrace, half in the sun, half covered with luxuriant wistaria, and furnished with dining-table, benches and chaises longues. This is where we normally have our meals.
4) The last room on the ground floor is a bathroom with shower and washing machine.
The upstairs part needs to be properly explained. In order to exploit the space to the maximum we have put all the bedrooms under the roof (seeing that sleeping is the one activity one must necessarily do lying down). We have three bedrooms, all of which have slanting ceilings.
5) One double bedroom, with a piano, a very big bed and a beautiful roof window which looks out on tree tops and the mountain. This room has a good amount of standing space.
6) A childrens’ room, also looking onto the mountain side and the treetops, with two single beds and slanting roof (fine for kids or young people, not ideal for older couples, and remember to mind your head).
7) A second room with a double bed. Small, but with good standing space
8) Bathroom (the very extremity of the slant is occupied by the bath-tub, so mind your head in getting out of the bath). Breath-taking view from roof window while cleaning teeth.
From the back of the house (patio) a series of stone steps leads you to our little bit of garden, which is mainly vertical but very attractive. At the top of the flight of steps there is a little terrace beneath oaks and chestnut trees, which once again looks onto the lake.
The swimming pool is about 50 metres away.
There are many beautiful villages and natural beauty spots to be visited in the vicinity, both on the lake and in the mountains: the beautiful fishing village of Corenno Plinio, Bellano, Varenna (ferry to the other side of the lake, which i also very attractive) Do not forget one of the most famous parts of Switzerland, Engadina (where St. Moritz is), is an hour and a quarter drive from here, which makes it possible to have Swiss skiing at Italian prices(!!); Bergamo, the art town, is 1 hour’s drive, Milan 1 and a quarter; Venice 3 and a half.
Super restaurants and shops are everywhere.
guests are free to enjoy the whole house
we do not live here. Our friend Raffaella will welcome you and show around the house
the incredibile geographic position of the Piona peninsula makes it a uniquely scenic village in that no other place on lake Como faces south affondino a long view of the entire lake. The village itself is tiny (200 inhabitants), most of it built in old stone with narrow streets where no cars can pass. We are not in the actual village centre, though. There are other very attractive fishing villages and old churches and villas with Renaissance gardens, plus all the acrtivities you can wish for from a resort which is both on the lake and in the mountains (fishing, sailing, windsurfing, mountain trekking). And of course there are many fantastic shops and shopping centres; and many very good restaurants and wine bars!
we strongly recommend a car
there are books and guides concerning the neighbourhood in the house.
Regole della Casa
Please feel at home! The only thing we ask is, if you feel the need to move furniture, to put it back as it was before leaving. Also, we are non smokers, and we would be grateful if you were to limit smoking on the terrace and the patio
- Response time:
- within one hour
- english, german, polish
- Calendar last updated:
- May 5, 2018
Pool / Spa
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 2:00 PM
Check-out: 12:00 AM
ReviewsThis property doesn't have any reviews yet.
The village of Olgiasca, where our house is, is part of the Commune of Colico (although is is 4 kilometres from Colico itself); is very small, the houses being mainly built of stone, and beautifully kept. It is at the top of the peninsula of Piona, which divides the lake into 2 parts: the main part, and a much smaller part, nearly like a separate lake, different also in colour. There is a path leading down to a very pretty beach (15 minutes walk), a bigger road leading to the ancient abbey at the tip of the peninsula, and a delightful path starting just outside our swimming pool and taking into a wood where it is possible to admire both sides of the lake. Incredible views all the time!!! There are 2 restaurants, the church and a shop all within walking distance.