We built this beautiful home at Kohala Waterfront because we fell in love with the land-- and incredible views-- when we visited several years ago. Every detail of this 5 bedroom home was carefully considered during our two years of design and construction planning and the subsequent two years in construction. The property has been designed, built and furnished to ensure it's an ideal vacation retreat for our family and for our guests (all of whom thus far have LOVED the property!).
The property sits high enough along the coastline to offer stunning, unobstructed panoramic views of the Kohala Coast-- and you can watch and listen to the whales migrating right in front of you from the lanai or the living spaces during the months when they are migrating.
The home is beautifully furnished and fully equipped, to ensure a comfortable and relaxing visit from the moment you open the front gates and take in the gorgeous scenery. There are many spaces for enjoying time together (open living area, in-kitchen, dining room, seating area in master suite, lanai) as well as ample opportunity for each guest to enjoy privacy as desired. Each bedroom offers a full private bath and entertainment resources including flat screen TV (6 in all) with DVD player. The home is equipped with High Speed Wifi, A/C and heated pool/spa.
Bedroom configuration: CalKing in master suite, king in second bedroom, queen in third bedroom, two twins (that can be made into king on request) in fourth bedroom, two twin XL beds (set up as daybeds/cannot be combined) in fifth bedroom. Most rooms offer views.
This luxury home includes the following:
* 3,950 square feet of living space with an additional 1,000 square feet of covered lanai
* Built-in gas grill and beautiful Restoration Hardware teak and wicker patio furnishings.
* 5 full bedrooms and 6 baths (CalKing, King, Queen, two twins/King, two XL twin daybeds
* Professional chef's kitchen with top of the line appliances, cookware/knives, and cabinetry that is well-stocked with dishware-- serving up to 18 guests. Bar seating for 6 in the kitchen, and up to 12 in the dining room.
* Large open family/living room with amazing ocean views, and ample seating/room to spread out.
* Master suite you could live in!
We designed the home with flexible use in mind-- for one family or an extended group. This home is ideally configured for two families travelling together or for a multi-generational/extended family. It is also ideal for groups of friends or couples.
Please note that the home has five bedrooms-- and accordingly sleeps ten guests. A portable crib is available onsite.
Please also note a few house rules:
1. This home is strictly NON-smoking.
2. While we have and love dogs, we are not able to accommodate them or any other pets on property. This home is a pet-free zone.
3. Sorry, we are unable to host weddings, events, or parties of any size/type.
Please feel free to email or call as we are glad to answer your questions. Thanks for considering our home for your visit to Hawaii.
Michele and Mark Wheeler
A while back I discovered how there is absolutely no comparison between spending your hard earned vacation time renting a home over staying at a hotel or resort, and I spend a ridiculous/obscene amount of time researching areas and homes online before making a decision on where to go. With that said, quite simply spending time in this home is an experience that you will never forget. Usually on vacation I think a lot of people have the urge to explore different areas and try new things each day and cram as many activities into a week as they can, and sometimes important simple things like rest and relaxation and taking time to reflect on life get lost in the shuffle. I know I have made that mistake before, when I am more exhausted after a week of vacation then before I left.
You will not have that problem staying at this home, if you are like me once you arrive you are not going to want to go anywhere. The elevated location gives you a panoramic view of the Kohala coastline from the pool and spa area and anywhere in the house. There is a fantastic large open kitchen with everything you could need to prepare your meals. We flew into the Kona and stopped by the Costco near the airport both times before heading up the coast to the house and bought all of our food for the week, other than the fresh fish that we bought from the local seafood market about a mile away from the home. There is a Viking grill and outdoor refrigerator next to the pool which allows you to spend even more of your time outside taking in the views while you cook. The infiniti pool and spa framed by the giant palm trees looking out over the ocean is a perfect setting for enjoying the absolutely spectacular sunsets each night.
There are incredible beaches within a short drive when you can actually pull yourself away from the house. Our favorite beaches were Waialea Beach, Hapuna Beach, and Kauna'oa Beach at the Mauna Kea Resort. There is excellent snorkeling directly in front of the house and you will watch commercial snorkeling, diving, and dolphin cruises stop several hundred yards off the coast and drop people off during the day.
If you are thinking about visiting the big island, I can't imagine a better place to stay. This is by far the nicest home we have stayed at as a vacation rental anywhere and the memories from our time here will last a lifetime. We hope to return soon!
Outstanding luxury property in North Kohala that provides a quiet and restful experience for those looking to get away from the crowds. Worked great for our family and the kids especially loved it. Some of the highlights:
1) Loved the location. We found Kialua Kona to be way too crowded and congested, and that's not our idea of a fun time. North Kohala was close to everything (30 min to most beaches, restaurants, sites) but yet had maybe 1/20th the traffic and people. Once you drive past the Mauni Kea resort, theres no more traffic lights. Just peace and quiet. Great location for anyone who wants to relax and enjoy some peaceful serenity.
2) House is amazing. Views are gorgeous and the house is very tastefully furnished throughout. Owners went high-end on mostly everything and it shows. We've stayed in multi-million dollar houses where furnishings were lower quality (presumably since everything gets worn quickly in rentals). Not the case here. Owners did a nice job of keeping everything upscale. Kitchen is well equipped, lots of spices/oils to use, good quality pots & pans. Beds are very comfortable, linens are good quality, pillows and blankets are excellent. Overall top notch on the inside in every way.
3) The outdoors area is great. Love the design of the house where the pool/courtyard is the center of the two bedroom wings. Pool is great, especially for our kids. Shallow enough at one end for our 5 yr old, and progressively going to about 4.5 - 5 ft deep. Also love how the hot tub and pool are connected. Very nicely done. Views from here are also excellent. If you look out the windows into the ocean at about 7-8am, you'll see pods of dolphins making their way north. We saw this several mornings and it's a sight to really enjoy. One morning there were hundreds of them, all maybe 75 yards from the shore line.
4) Clean & very well-equipped. We're very picky about having clean places and this place was very clean when we arrived. Also had everything you could want for your vacation. Beach chairs, lots of towels, coolers to take on hike, even some snorkel stuff.
5) Owner is super easy to work with. Michele was fast to respond and very easy going. No headaches at all. Booking was simple, check-in and check-out were super easy and pain free. She answered all emails very quickly. Gave us her mobile # in case of issues (we had none thankfully). Will rent again next time we're on the Big Island
We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at this wonderful North Kohala home. If your looking for beautiful sunsets, your own pool, hot tub, and a relaxing time look no further. Close to great dining, the fresh fish market, and all the shopping you will need.
My family stayed at this wonderful home for Thanksgiving week this year. There were 7 of us total - my husband and I, my parents and my three teenage sons. Overall, it was a blissful week with great weather and good company.
First, just a few general comments about the house. The home is well constructed and beautifully decorated with expensive finishing features. Although it looks like a U shape from the photos, it is actually two separate wings with a solid gate/door that serves as the entrance to the home. There are three bedrooms in one wing and two in the other. In the wing with three bedrooms, each bedroom is completely separate, and you walk outside under the lovely covered lanai to get to each, so it is very private in this respect. The other two are in the wing with the living room and kitchen. We have been looking to buy in Kohala Waterfront, so we checked out the location as compared to all the other homes. We debated an oceanfront home, but I'm glad we stayed here. The view is truly fantastic and because the Hawaiian path goes in front of the oceanfront homes, I did not feel it was as secure as this location. Not too many whales this time of year, but we did see a few and a school of dolphins.
The best part of the home was the following: the incredible view, the lovely and private rooms, the outdoor shower off the master bedroom, the lanai, the outdoor grill, the quiet location, great beach gear for the kids, the courteous and service oriented owners and staff.
Although not anyone's fault, we had just a few issues. The hot tub heater did not work and had to be replaced (which they did as quickly as possible), the internet was intermittent for several days (someone came out and fixed that too) and the AC in the back bedroom was also spotty (again, sent someone asap to address). When we made the owners aware, they worked quickly to resolve and offered to pay for a nice family dinner. Also, a few little things like temperatures not legible on stove and grill, ice machine in freezer doesnt work, living room sofa a little worn.
Given others reviews, I get the sense we just got unlucky with a few issues, and would not see this as a deterrant. We would certainly stay here again, and will always remember this as a special vacation together. Special thanks to Michele for her quick attention to issues, to Reuben the pool guy for going out of his way to try and make things work for us and sharing interesting Hawaii history.
Look no more, this is the best property for your visit to the Big Island.
From the moment you enter this property, a sense of relief that you chose wisely will take over.
The property is superbly laid out providing privacy and yet an open floor plan to gather with family. It is located in a quiet development with only a handful of properties nearby, perfect for family privacy. Anyone will tell you that the bulk of your visit to the Big Island will be spent in Kohala, and with this property, you will already be in the area.
Our days were spent exploring the Island and it was such a treat to return to this property to relax and recharge. The pool is magnificent, and the hot tub is located in such a way that you will have front row seating to the most spectacular sunsets you have ever seen.
The kitchen is well equipped so you won't run short on expressing your culinary side. The BBQ grill is also available to grill deliciously fresh Mahi Mahi from "Da Fish Shack" just 2.5 miles away.
The bedrooms and bathrooms are all fabulous, with the master bedroom taking its fair share of amazing vistas. During our stay we had refreshing trade winds cooling us down during the evenings and many nights were spent with the sliding glass doors open all the way allowing the sounds of the ocean to lull us to sleep.
Re-provisioning our groceries was easy by visiting the major markets in Waimea. So, with a little planning, you will be all set.
Our vacation was outstanding! The house seems to get better with each day. Still picturing the views from everywhere you stand around the home. Lots of whales and dolphins.
It was hard to leave even to go to the beach.