|Space||1,800 sq. ft.|
|Minimum Stay||6 nights|
Secluded, open-plan, large, comfortable log home, with warm wood-beamed and cathedral ceilings, full-length deck, 3 bedrooms with double beds and one queen-size bed, open loft with reading nook, upstairs and downstairs baths and bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen, dishwasher, washer-dryer, WiFi, DVD, DirectTV, futon sofas sleep extras, Vose upright piano. Indoor and outdoor dining with gas grill, charcoal grill. Private wooded lot with ample parking and room for boat trailers. Centrally located on Mt Desert Island with Acadia National Park’s scenic views, swimming, hiking, boating, biking, kayaking. Central to picturesque Somesville, Bar Harbor with its shopping and night life, Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor with their libraries, museums, churches, groceries, and shopping. Fresh and saltwater boat launches and rentals nearby. 2 miles from ADK camp.
Hiking: Favorite hikes include
1) Beach Mountain, the nearest mountain to Ledgeview, with great views, some scrambling up ledge, but enjoyed by even 3 or 4 year olds. Moderate difficulty
2) The South Bubble, about a 25-minute climb up stairsteps built into the mountainside with great views of Jordan Pond and out to sea.
3) Gorge trail up Mt. Cadillac
4) Walk to Jordan Pond along carriage road then have popovers and tea
Swimming & paddling: Our favorite swimming areas are:
1) Long Pond, about 1 1/2 miles from Ledgeview, where there is a roped-off swimming area with float, near the dock and ramp where rental canoes and kayaks can be put in from the rental place across the road from the swimming area. Wildlife includes ducks, loons, and eagles nesting in the next bay around the point. Porta potty but no changing booths
2) Echo Lake, including the beach area at the end toward SW Harbor, with lifeguards, toilets, changing rooms, foot rinser, ramp for wheelchairs; for adults or older children who are good swimmers, the bluffs are a favorite spot because children like to jump or dive into the water from the rocky shore. About 3 miles. There is a Park public toilet at the edge of the parking area (for Acadia Mountain)
3) Sand Beach, a must, but suitable for wading only without a wet suit, except on hot August days. Requires an Acadia Park pass to reach the beach, unless you find the back roads to a nearby parking area.
Peaceful pursuits: Garden enthusiasts will like
1) the Azalea Garden in Northeast Harbor, modeled after Japanese gardens, beautiful in any season even when the azaleas and rhododendrons are past.
2) Thuya Garden, Northeast harbor, with wooden gates carved by Charles Savage.
Check with the Park information center for dates and times then the Rockefeller garden is open, near Seal Harbor.
There are often paying garden tours on a Saturday afternoon, with visits to a number of homes.
Concerts. There is a lot of music available in the summer months, including a jazz festival, a chorale (usually early August at the Episcopal Church in Bar Harbor), and delightful (and free) band concerts in the park in Bar Harbor, Monday and Thursday at peak season.
We are college professors who love working with our hands as well as teaching and leading young people to gain international, intercultural understanding. Dick has studied both the oral folklore of the Island -- the tall-tale tradition -- and the social and geographical design features of the lobster-boat building tradition. Our extended family built this house with our own hands, including my father in his 80s.
For Richard, born in Cambridge, MA, MDI is always home, harboring the maritime culture of his father and ancestors.
Lora Lunt purchased this house in 1986
We built this house with our own hands to be a gathering place for family and friends. The youngest builder was 10-year old niece, Clair, the oldest grandfather George, age 81. Richard's ancestors are buried on this island; and we follow in the tradition of his father, who, with help of his brothers, collected field stone to build a house on Somes Sound in the 1930s. All the children and grandchildren are "imprinted" on this place.
We love the quiet of the deck in the woods, the warm feel of the wood of the house around us, the easy access to Acadia National Park swimming and boating areas and hiking trails, and, for some, the shopping and evening entertainment.
We had amazing vocation in the Ledgeview house and Acadia. The location is perfect and very quite and the house has everything you need, clean, beautiful and comfortable. The house is also perfect when you come with small kids as it has everything you need and even gates! Lora was an amazing host! She was very easy to reach for and helped in everything. Lora provided so much useful information about what to do around that it made our life much easier.
Thank you Lora for a perfect vocation (it was really important for us :)).
We stayed at Ledgeview for a week with 2 small kids in late August of 2010.
Looking for a place to get away from the bustle of large city, this turned out to be just an ideal place for us.
We loved the location (sunset on Cadillac Mountain, walks around Bar Harbor and sea-side treks were our favorites), the food and the place itself.
The house has this great rustic charm, and if not for the kids, we would have stayed at the patio the whole time.
Lora and Dick were most pleasant and went out of their way to help us.
Definitely planning to come back!
Alan & Elena
Mount Desert island is home to one of the loveliest national parks in the country, featuring hiking on mountain trails and carriage roads, swimming and boating in lakes and the ocean, and cycling on safe trails or on Ocean Drive, while offering the fun of night life and shopping in Bar Harbor or outlets in Ellsworth. Museums offer insight into the history and natural history of the Island. Summer events include a jazz festival and a summer chorale, parades, theater, and art shows.
Other Activities: Gardens
Golf: Mt Desert Island has three golf courses: in Northeast Harbor, Southwest Harbor and Bar Harbor.
Ski: The miles and miles of carriage roads in Acadia National Park are ideal for cross-country skiing when there is snow.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
6 night minimum stay
|Refundable damage deposit||$500|
|Cleaning over $125||$1 + Tax|
Please inquire for rate information.
Monthly rate for extended 'winter' rentals $600/month
inquire about purchase of accidental damage insurance through HomeAway ($79 for $3,000 coverage) in lieu of the returnable damage deposit of $500