Newer two story, modern guest cottage attached to historic 'Cistern House' on ½ acre close to Zilker Neighborhood. The 'Cistern House Annex' is within walking distance to the back gate of Barton Springs Pool, Lady Bird Lake hike and bike trail, Umlauf Sculpture Garden, Long Center, and movie theatre, restaurants and coffee shops. Hardwoods upstairs, stained concrete down, open kitchen with custom cabinets, stainless appliances, natural light in every room – even the walk in closet. Upstairs bedroom has feel of treehouse with wall of casement windows and custom blinds, overlooking 100 year old Oaks. Duplex is attached to main house by a solid stone wall, creating both a sound barrier and one of a kind wall of natural cut stone in the living area. The owners occupy the adjoining historic 'cistern' house and studio. Partially enclosed private patio. Google Fiber Internet and TV. Flat screen TV upstairs and down. License #098980
Historic 'Cistern House' and Annex: This property, with its 100 year old Oak trees, feels like you are in the country, yet you are within walking/biking distance of all the fun things about Austin. The 'Cistern House Annex' is attached to the historic 'cistern house' that was once an actual cistern that supplied water for the local farms 100 years ago. The property was featured in a 1953 article found in the Austin History Center because the original structure was naturally air conditioned from the caverns under the house. There is still a well piped through the roof of the main structure. The modern apartment was added in March of 2009. The owner is a potter and in addition to working on the property in his studio, he keeps the apartment furnished with his latest pottery creations.
Walk to the Best of Austin's Activities: A fun evening from this apartment would be to:
1. Walk or bike around the Lady Bird Lake trail (either the 3 1/2 mile, the 4 1/2 mile loop or the entire 10 mile loop) to the world headquarters of Whole Foods Market to dine in one of the many restaurants inside or on the rooftop.
2. Walk or bike to the back gate of Barton Springs Pool for a dip in the natural spring fed pool.
3. Walk or bike to the famous Alamodrafthouse movie theatre for dinner and the latest movie.
4. Attend the latest shows at the Long Center or enjoy the new Butler Park water features.
5. Walk to the Umlauf Sculpture Gardens
6. Walk or bike to the many restaurants and coffee shops lining Barton Springs and Lamar.
7. In five minutes be downtown, either at the new 2nd street restaurant area or to enjoy the nightlife on 6th street, including the famous Esther's Follies.
8. Enroll in Car2Go and have a car available to you within the central part of Austin - this lets you walk somewhere and drive back.
9. Guests enjoy a 10% discount at Barton Springs Bike Rental, which will pick you up and drop you off when you are renting bikes from them.
Local Attractions: During the day, explore the state Capital, Bob Bullock History Museum, Austin Museum of Art, University of Texas art museum, or LBJ Library. Many day trips would include driving through the hill country, visiting historic Fredericksburg, going to the many lakes surrounding the area, kayaking or floating in the San Marcos River, taking a day trip to San Antonio, going on the Vanishing River Cruise, exploring some of the local caverns, or shopping at the many outlet malls around Austin.