Offering the best combination of 1920s charm and modern convenience, The Vair House is a lovingly restored and renovated 3 bedroom lakefront cabin, nestled in the beautiful Northwoods of Wisconsin. Weekly rentals from Saturday to Saturday.
The Vair House is situated on Rod McKinnon's Sugar Bush Farm property and just a short walk from Historic Bent's Camp on Mamie Lake of the Cisco Chain of Lakes (15 interconnected lakes with 271 miles of scenic shoreline extending into the pristine Sylvania Wilderness Area).
The Vair House has 3 large bedrooms, (one w/king, one w/Queen, one w/2 twins), 2 full modern baths, eat-in kitchen with new stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, dining area, large living room with fireplace, and screened in porch only steps from the water’s edge.
Come experience the magnificent Cisco Chain and all it has to offer:
* Enjoy the lakes — swim, fish, kayak, boat, ski...
* Savor the breathtaking water views and aromatic pines...
* Observe the wildlife — eagles, loons, beaver, otter, raccoons, porcupines, and deer abound...
* Walk in the woods, bike the local trails...
* Take in the sunsets...
* Stargaze while listening to the call of the loons...
* Relax on your private screen porch...
* Enjoy a drink or dinner at Bent’s Camp Resort, just a short walk away...
* Sleep in or rise with the sun...
* Play a round of golf at the local course...
-Well behaved pets welcome
-No Smoking allowed inside any of our cabins
Our family has been vacationing here since my Grandfather purchased the property in 1922.
We stayed at the Vair house in August of 2016. First the good news. It is an extremely private spot on a peninsula, very beautiful and a very unique piece of property, and very quiet. It shares a drive with another cabin, but since no one was renting it, we had the whole piece of land to ourselves and it was great. Had there been other renters in the other cabin, it would have felt more cramped. We also had a terrific private boat dock with electricity that allowed us to keep the boat on beautiful Mamie Lake just a few steps away from the cottage. This is the reason I gave the review 2 stars vs 1 . . . because of the gorgeous property and the peace and quiet. Beware, if you are towing a boat here, do NOT try to tow the boat into the driveway to the cottage, and the owner will tell you this in advance . . . it is a long and very windy drive which is narrow in some spots, and there is no room to get any sizable boat turned around once you reach the cottage. But, Bents camp is right next door, and I launched my boat there and stored the trailer on his property for a week for just $25.
Now the bad news. When we arrived at the cottage, it was unfortunately extremely dirty, as in, it had clearly not been deep cleaned in a very long time. I couldn't say for sure, but it looked like essentially whoever comes in to clean the place between guests cleans up the bathrooms and swaps out the linens and maybe runs over the hard floors with a swiffer, and that's about it. There were huge cob webs hanging from the rafters, and it was extremely dusty. Looking under the beds and couches at the request of the owner, who had a call from the prior week's renters that they left something behind, the carpets were thick with dust and there was empty water bottles and some other trash present. I also round a dead mouse in the corner of the living room, which I removed myself, and that was mouse so dried out and hollow it had clearly been there for a while. It's a nice cottage, but for the price I paid, I was expecting it to be spic and span all the way through.
The owner lives in Arizona, and he is very nice and may well have not known of the state of this cabin. But I did inform him of it upon my return. I thought perhaps he would have at least knocked a little off of the rate given the rough shape it was in, but an apology was the extent of it.
So, based on my experience, I would have to say use caution when considering this location.
We stayed at Vair house in July of 2010, and the pictures don't do justice to the charm and character of the place - as well as the magnificent water views of Mamie Lake. You'll want to rent this cabin if -
1. You want to be on a beautiful body of water, and you love a chain of lakes to explore.
2. You want a place that has some historical personality and Northwoods charm.
3. Your adore a screen porch. I lived on it for most of the week, and while, due to it's age, it was a bit "slanty" somehow it added to the character.
4. You plan on eating any meals in. The kitchen can seat a larger group.
5. You love a good Wisconsin supper club. While you can't hear it, and would never know it's there, just stroll 100 feet down the path, open the secret fence door, and Voila'! Bents Camp resort, cocktails and delicious food are right next door. Fabulous. (You can also launch your boat there and buy bait.)
6. The owners are just plain really nice.
7. You value privacy and a cabin that is way off the main road.
8. You love a cozy fire on a rainy night.
The only thing this cabin is missing is a washer and dryer, but there is a large clothesline outside and it never proved to be an issue.
Vair house is the kind of place that you really sort of hope nobody else ever finds out about, but since I regularly utilize VRBO and appreciate reviews, I felt obligated to share our wonderful experience.