Cottage, 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath, (Sleeps 2)
Kaya Carman TVNC#1242 808-651-5487
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
Nice, clean cottage.
Nice, clean, airy cottage. Nice area. Fun to watch for gekos outside.
Secluded romantic hideaway!
The cottage was just perfect! Super cute and tucked away behind a main house. It felt very secluded and private. The garden and plants on the patio were lovely and added to the ambiance. The slatted windows offered plenty of breeze to keep the cottage cool and circulated. We did not get any rain until the last night so the weather was warmer than usual and we slept very comfortably. We only stayed a few of days so we didn't need much but from everything I could see you would not want for anything.
If I could change anything it would have been those darn chickens! LOL but not sure you can escape them anywhere on the island! Sadly the trail was no longer accessible to walk to the beach. Not within the owners control but the listing should be updated as that was a deciding factor in my selection. The beaches were not a far drive but the roads are all 2 lane and windy so going back and forth for beach time and then returning for a nice meal later that evening just wasn't what I had in mind. I would also recommend a pillow upgrade- but I happen to be picky about my pillows!
Kaya was very responsive to any questions I had. She also offered to assist with any excursions but we had already booked our own. Next time I will definitely take her up on the offer.
Currently the cottage is for 2 adults only. I wish that the sofa offered a sleep option. I would love to return with my Mom and sister.
All that said I would definitely book to stay here again. The cottage was a great find that I would share with colleagues and friends as well! It was the perfect get away that we can't wait to return to!
The Bamboo Cottage for 2 is in a great location for enjoying locations in Kauai. It is well appointed with everything needed for a great stay.
Lovely cottage in Kalaheo
We very much enjoyed the Bamboo Cottage. Pluses - loved being on south/west side of island - so much easier to access a new part of the island and very laid back vs the much busier city of Lihue. Very comfy bed, nice clean bathroom, plenty of storage and space to unpack for a few nights. Having a working kitchen and good internet (once you are inside and logged in) was great. Having a washer/dryer was especially great. Two small drawbacks - don't forget to write down the lock combination since there is limited ability to access your phone. The combo had only been shared with us once so we had to spend an hour in the middle of the night digging around in the laptop computer for that one email. It would help to resend that information the day before arrival. The living room was nice, but quite warm in the afternoon with the south (winter) sun pouring in. Our only criticism aside from the confusion over how to get in is small and particular to my expectations - Table and chairs were not good heights for writing, and since part of our purpose for the week was to spend time writing, this posed a little problem, but nothing most people would even notice. I slept really well here, which is a major plus!
Cute spot but there are some much needed improvements
Whenever my husband and I go to any of the Hawaiian islands, we try to stay away from resort town, and "live" more like a local. This property definitely provided that. It's tucked away in a residential area that looks out to the water from up high. However, our view was limited since the cottage is tucked away in the back, which is understandable. Here are some pros and cons to consider:
1. Feels secluded and very tropical, the garden is very pretty.
2. Price is affordable compared to other choices on the island (but you get what you pay for).
3. Host is nice and responsive even though we didn't cross path our entire trip.
4. Some beach equipment and hiking sticks in the shed.
5. Outdoor shower is convenient.
6. Trade winds make the cottage nice and cool at night, definitely no need for AC.
1. Mattress has no support and very squeaky. If you move even just a little bit in your sleep, the entire bed moves. One morning I woke up feeling sore all over. My husband complained about his back the entire trip.
2. Pillows lay flat even when I put 2 on top of each other. Extra pillows and bedding in the closet but they don't feel clean and fresh.
3. There is only one old CRT TV in the living room. If you're used to having flat screens in every single room in your house, this could be either pros or cons depending on how you look at it...
4. The decor is cheesy, fake palm tree with a fake monkey on it...
5. All the cabinets and closets are extremely musty and made me feel a quite icky. We had to buy some room fresheners from Walmart to make the place smell better.
6. Because the cottage is so tucked away, it feels a little dark.The paint color probably doesn't help either, everything is very brown.
7. The floor felt sticky so I found some swiffer sweeper in the shed and mopped the floor.
8. At the end of our trip, we felt sad to leave the island but so glad to leave our rental to go back to our comfy bed at home.
Some other points to consider are bugs, geckos and chickens... I actually love seeing the colorful geckos, we saw a white one with black dots. But if you don't like bugs and geckos in your rental, this could be an issue. The chickens are everywhere here on the island, and their day starts at around 3 am, so just beware. Our cousins stay at a really nice condo down in Poipu and there seems to be less chicken there.
Very adequate for our needs. We went out from here most days. Too much traffic to travel to North bu