|Minimum Stay||3 - 30 nights|
CANADIAN DOLLAR AT PAR for bookings in September or October 2016 only.
* One block from the Malecon beach boardwalk
* The Malecon boardwalk, downtown stores, and most restaurants are wheelchair accessible
* Progreso is a very safe community: for added protection, the property is walled and has a security gate
* Guests have full use of the large pool facilities and garden area. The pool has access for a wheelchair
* The Canadian owners live nearby and are available for any questions you may have
*Suite has a fridge, stove, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, blender, dishes and utensils
* There are ceiling fans and air conditioning in the suite
* High speed wi-fi internet access (bring your own computer) and a DVD player are included.
*Ask about our two bedroom, two bath unit on this property, now also available.
*Discounts offered for long term (6 months or longer) rentals
* Interested in Costa Rica? Ask about our condo in Jaco!
* If you want a place full of tourists, restaurants, and other amenities just like the USA or Canada, Progreso is not the place to be. If you want the experience of authentic Mexican culture among friendly locals, Progreso is the place to be.
* Mostly Spanish is spoken here. (However you can get by easily with a Spanish phrase book) You will be immersed in a community of friendly, helpful, and serene people. The crime rate is very low for most of the Yucatan, as its roots are founded by the legacy of the peaceful Mayan culture.
* Progreso's beaches are safe and tranquil making them great for swimming. A nearby marina provides windsurfing and jet-ski rentals.
* Grocery stores, markets, pharmacies, and many restaurants are within easy walking distance. A car is not necessary, however driving a rented car in Mexico is easy and safe, and can make it much easier to get around. The house is one and a half blocks from the bus route, making it easy to ride around town. An air-conditioned bus to Merida leaves the bus terminal every 15 minutes for less than $3 return.
* a golf course only 20 minutes away, or visit the city of Merida, Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza, Uxmal, or the Loltun caves. Enjoy excursions into the mangrove swamps, or take a trip to see the flamingo colonies. You can swim in the cenote at Dzibilchaltun, only 15 minutes away.
We are Canadians who have lived in Progreso Yucatan since February 2008. When we were deciding where we were going to move, we wanted a place where there weren't too many foreigners, but just enough so that we didn't feel isolated. We have wonderful Mexican neighbours and live in a real community. Our goal was to live in a real Mexican town and learn to speak Spanish. We love this area, the kind people, the many attractions and the warm weather year round.
Joanne Dueck purchased this apartment in 2007
We chose this property for it's proximity to the Malecon. There is no need for a car here, you are well located to walk to restaurants and stores. A bus route is close by and a taxi from downtown costs just a couple of dollars.
Our lower level unit is wheel chair accessible without being institutional. There are grab bars beside the toilet and in the shower. The shower is wheel-in.
Renting two or all three of our suites could make this property a perfect place for a large family while giving everyone a little private space as well.
Thanks so much for your wonderful hospitality, we found exactly what we were looking for and more! Peter loved his evenings with the grill, I loved the fish he cooked. Hope we have a chance to come back again.
This was our second visit to Progreso.
The web-site showed pics and a write-up about the 2 one BR suites.
We rented the 'new' 2 BR 2 Bath section where the owners used to live. Super beds, linens, towels, CD/DVD/book library, etc etc!
It is huge, well equipped and comfortable. It was great because we rented for 2 weeks and our daughter and grandson joined us for a week. The immaculate pool, patios and courtyard are amazing. Nearby is an OXXO ( 7-11 ish) and a block from the Malecon - a great breezy walk to downtown in 10 minutes. Try the Fish-Fish restaurant nearby - a spotlessly clean, friendly restaurant with a varied menu and wonderful staff.
Progreso fills up in summer, and a bit on cruise ship days, but otherwise, it is a supremely safe, relaxing and friendly beach town.
We would highly recommend this property - Joanne is the host with the most. She really makes her guests feel welcome.
Joanne and Chuck were amazing hosts! They were so helpful and knowledgeable. They made our first trip with our kids and our stay so easy. They were always there to help out, answering questions, recommending restaurants, tours and taxis. The apartment is spacious, comfortable, very clean and well equipped. My husband and I enjoyed sitting on our private balcony every night! The pool was very refreshing after our outings and was clean, safe and accessible for the children. The neighbourhood was safe, quiet and so close to the beach and all the action. We took in many different restaurants, walked the Malecon and visited the shops and markets. Having laundry facilities on site was very helpful travelling with young kids and we had plenty of supplies and bottled water. We would highly recommend staying here and look forward to our own future stays.
Could not of been more pleased with our stay at Oasis del Mar. A clean, well maintained property that is so close to the Malecon . The owners who are both Canadian are friendly, helpful , and accommodating. On our first day in Progreso Joanne took us to the market, showed us where to bank, and helped us with finding our transportation needs. What you see in their ad is exactly what you will get plus more. A warm welcoming of wine, fresh fruit, and a few extra goodies in our fridge. As for Progreso, a safe and friendly village. A must go and stay for all.
Oasis Del Mar is a treasure in Progreso, Yucatan. Owners Chuck and Jo are welcoming and do their best to get you acclimatized quickly to their little jewel and have suggestions on where to shop, what to see and what to expect because they have been there for 8 years and know the ropes.
Located just a block and a half from the Malecon (concrete board walk about a mile long), it makes it easy to go enjoy the sights and sounds there, while just far enough away to be a quiet place to relax. Most homes in Progreso are hidden behind concrete walls, so this adds a level of security to your stay, although we never felt any danger from the friendly Mayan people of the area. The walled compound though allows you to enjoy the sun, pool, palapa if you want shade and quietness you may desire at times during your day. With the Malecon so close by there are lots of options for restaurants, the large beach is never crowded and there are lots of places safe and scenic for long walks. The malecon, entire complex, suite, shower and pool are all level entry so worked quite well for me as I am confined to a wheelchair. We definitely plan to return and would highly recommend this location for anyone looking for a more genuine Mexican vacation than a resort in Cancun, the Mayan Riviera or Neuvo Vallarta.
This property is in a lovely location - literally steps from the beach! The suite is cozy, but the pool area is the piece de resistance. If the ocean wasn't so close by to tempt you, you would want to hang out at the pool all day. Joanne and Chuck were there to handle our every need.
We had a very relaxing 6 night stay in the lower apartment at Oasis del Mar. Our unit was well equipped and comfortable, the pool was great and Joanne was very welcoming and helpful. It would have been very easy to stay on for a longer period of time. We met many Canadians staying in Progreso for months over the winter and it seemed they had formed quite a friendly community. Although warm it cooled down enough at night that we were quite fine just using the many fans provided. It is about 9 blocks to the centre of town with lots of restaurants and shops and there are a few other restaurants and convenience stores that are closer. We usually went out for lunch or dinner and had the other meals in the apartment. We wanted a quiet place to relax and we were not disappointed. Highly recommend. Thanks.
We are in the state of Yucatan, close to the capital and colonial city of Merida. Enjoy the beach, interact with the friendly locals, visit nearby Mayan ruins, enjoy a round of golf, go birding, kayaking in the mangrove swamp, or relax in our beautiful pool. Experience theatre, symphony, ballet and many cultural experiences in Merida, only half an hour away. We look forward to welcoming you to Oasis del Mar!
Please inquire about our additional apartment.
Interested in Costa Rica? As about our condo in Jaco!
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.