About the property
- House1000 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay31 - 90 nights
3 Bedroom, 2 Bath across from yacht harbour
Charming NEW* cottage on the river across from Thornbury harbour. Unique location on 0 traffic cul de sac overlooking river, harbour and Bay, yet just 5 min. walk to 'downtown' (2 hr from Toronto, 15 min. from the Blue Mountain "Village at Blue" resort). *total 100% rebuild completed Dec 2017.
This tiny perfect cottage lives large, with vaulted barnboard-beamed ceilings throughout and wall to wall walkout to an expansive deck.
- Secluded Master suite with walkout to deck, ensuite bath with heated slate floor
- 2 small bedrooms on the other side of the cottage sharing a 2nd full bath
- Sunny kitchen with quartz counters, stainless appliances
- Stainless steel topped island overlooking living/dining
- Convenient access from kitchen to side patio with gas Bar-b-q
- Cozy gas fireplace
- Quality casual furnishings (distressed leather couch, oak dining table)
- Wall to wall glass walkout to expansive west-facing deck with separate lounge and dining areas
- Shed with power and workbench for ski-tuning, bike storage
Simply enjoy the cottage or get outside and:
- FISH the Beaver River from your backyard
- CYCLE the 35 km Georgian Trail (1 min. from your door), many scenic and challenging cyle routes, or mountain bike facilities / parks nearby
- WALK the river bank up to the fish ladder, dam and mill pond (5min. )
- SWIM from Little River Park beach or off the harbor pier, 5 min. walk
- PLAY TENNIS at Bayview Park public courts, basically 'across the street' 2 min. walk
- PADDLE the Beaver River (rent from Gyles in town or Free Spirit Tours farther upriver ) or Georgian Bay
- SAIL the Bay from the harbour across the river via footbridge, 2 min. walk
- BROWSE & BUY local artists work in 'arts-burg' (Clarksburg), 5 min. drive
- GOLF Lora Bay's Raven or several other courses nearby, 10 min. drive
- HIKE the Bruce Trail, 10 min. drive to Kolapore access (for example)
- BIKE, ROCK CLIMB or SPELUNK the Niagara Escarpment
- SKI / SHRED/ TUBE the Blue Mountain (Village at Blue 15 min / private club Georgian Peaks 7 min. drive)
- ENJOY variety of events year-round in town or at 'Village at Blue' * 15 min. drive
* The Village at Blue is a multi-million-$, year-round resort offering skiing, snow boarding and tubing, Xtreme mountain biking, golf, rock climbing wall, nearby Scandanavie spa, year-round water play area and more. Hotels, restaurants, shops of all kinds in a pedestrian village. Check the events every week Eg.outdoor concerts, art shows, sports events and demonstrations, movie nights, etc. on their VILLAGEATBLUE website
THANKS for looking!
*** $C RATES SUMMARY ** utilities extra ***
SKI SEASON (Dec 1/18- Apr 15/19) $3,500 /mo. 4 month minimum
SUMMER SEASON (May 18-Oct 8/18 ) $5,000 /mo.
OTHER $4,500 /mo.
1. Rates do NOT include utilities / services, which we bill separately. It's more work for us, but more fair to you to pay only for your actual usage.
2. NO exceptions to TBM Bylaw 2013-50 mandating MINIMUM 30 NIGHT stay (Unfortunately, Owners cannot suppress somewhat misleading 'average daily' rates displayed for properties that are illegal to rent daily)
Dorothy and Tom
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- Mar 29, 2018
About Dorothy and Tom
Hello, I live in Toronto with my husband, Tom and our dog, Teddy. We both play in community orchestras, chamber groups, pit bands for musicals so can't use the cottage all the time ourselves. It's too perfect to sit empty - we make it available for others to enjoy.
Dorothy and Tom purchased this House in 2008
Why Dorothy and Tom chose Thornbury
Over 20 yr ago we bought a log house in Town of the Blue Mountains because it was a great year round recreational area. Thornbury was more charming than Collingwood, with quaint shops, good restaurants, antique market, little art galleries, fish ladder, etc. As 'everyone' else discovered and developed the area - starting with the Village at Blue resort - the variety and quality of activities, amenities, entertainment, shops and restaurants has grown. We knew we'd rather be in town vs. country at some point, so bought this little vintage cottage because of its unique location: on the water, 0 traffic, yet 5 min. walk up the river path to 'downtown'.
What makes this House unique
Being in town, yet on the water and 0 traffic is unique. The cottage has a rare rivermouth / bay / yacht harbour view that's more interesting than the plain horizon of the Bay, and facing west it's perfect for enjoying sunsets. Even though it's a small cottage, the master suite is secluded off the kitchen side, separated from the other 2 bedrooms and bath by the living/dining room. With its own walkout to the deck, the 'master' can prepare and enjoy a coffee or cocktail without disturbing the rest of the household. While the cottage structure is brand new, the experience is still 'vintage simple pleasures'... Depending on the season: the warmth of the fire, walking up the river bank to watch the salmon jumping up the fish ladder (or to visit Thornbury Bakery for cinnamon buns), the crunch as you bite into an apple picked from a tree in your front yard, a bike ride from your back door along the Georgian Trail to Collingwood or Meaford for lunch, jumping off the harbour pier with the kids in summer, a stroll to the Mill, Bruce, Sisi's or the Dam Pub for dinner , the colourful sunset through the sailboats' rigging, the patient, silent wading fishermen .... aaaaaaah ... AND oh did I mention? It's THE cutest waterfront, in-town property :)
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Peaceful, Bright & New
It is everything everyone has written about here in VRBO reviews and now so much more with the renovations. “Fantastic experience and Stay”. Dorothy and Tom have been wonderful!
Highly Recommended Thornbury Cottage!
My husband and I had a terrific week exploring Thornbury and the surrounding area. Your cottage was a very comfortable and cozy retreat, and many hours were spent enjoying the backyard view of the bay! Your attention to detail inside the cottage left us not wanting a thing. The location was ideal as we were close enough to walk or bicycle downtown or to the marina and yet it was private enough to enjoy that camping feeling sitting around a backyard campfire. Thanks again for a wonderful vacation.
Yes, you captured exactly what makes our cottage 'unique'. Thanks very much for your review
Holiday Promises Fulfilled
It's difficult to describe the joy one feels when making that last turn after a 5 hour drive, finding in front of you, the Cottage you booked from a Continent away, exactly as in the pictures in the listing. Indeed, within 10 minutes, we were at home.
Inside and outside, everything was just super and indeed I've pinned the listing to my desktop so that I can click on it every time I feel nostalgic about our sublime 2 weeks there.
This property was spotless and everything including the appliances all functioned perfectly. Bedlinens were all there too. The location was actually even a little better than promised and sitting on the extensive deck in the evening, literally on the edge of Georgian Bay, really does take some beating. The attractions of Thornbury are so close by that if you didn't need it for touring, you could dispense with a car.
The Owner was a mine of information and we followed up on most of her recommendations. Here too we weren't disappointed and particularly enjoyed the Dam Pub and Bridges in Thornbury. Also Ted's Diner on Range Road near Meaford is a real gem and the Canadian Cheeseplate at the Coffin Ridge Vineyard (not to mention the wine) is simply outstanding. We also took a 30,000 Island Cruise from Penetanguishene, booked from the UK and that was very worthwhile too.
Friends from about 50 kms away came to visit and were so impressed with our "find", they will be recommending it to their Family and friends from all over Canada.
To summarise, for Europeans especially but also for people more local, if you want to see a part of real Canada and live like Canadians do, try this.
Charming cottage in equally charming town!
We thoroughly enjoyed out week long stay in this well appointed, clean cottage overlooking Georgian Bay - laundry facilities, great shower, games, DVD player, wood stove and fire pit and more. The massive deck allows you to chase the sun or the shade throughout the day, while waves lapping on the shore make gentle noise in the background. Perfect for watching the fishermen right across the riverside in the early morning and evening and beautiful sunsets. Kayak launch at the public park a very short drive away. Thornbury is a charming town with some great restaurants - if you don't want to use the cottage BBQ, check out Bruce Wine bar and Simplicity Bistro among others. A terrific week of unwinding!
We found the cottage very pleasant and really well situated close to Thornbury.Hope to be back !
We Found the entire week excellent . We loved the proximity to Thornbury.Very clean and well looked after.See you next year!
Yes, everyone likes the convenience of being 'in town'. Thanks, ladies!
The Blue Mountain resort area of South/Central Ontario boasts a wide variety of outdoor activities year-round (ski, sail, hike, bike are the most popular). Thornbury retains its original rural 'small town' vibe but caters to the Toronto 'big city-type' standards. Our personal favourites: bike the 35 km Georgian Trail, Scandanavie Spa, whatever free event is on at Village at Blue resort, Scenic Caves for cross country skiing in winter or zipline/nature walk other times - or just the spectacular views from the lookout off the road nearby, Coffin Ridge winery on the way to Owen Sound (eat on the deck- get the cheese tray); in Thornbury: Simplicity Bistro, Bruce Wine Bar, the Cheese Gallery, Ashanti coffee shop, Thornbury Bakery, skiing at the Peaks (private club) or Blue (public), swimming off Thonbury pier or with kids at Little River Park beach, summer Sunday nights Jazz in the Bayview Park, watching the salmon climb the fish ladder in fall, picking raspberries in summer, Gramma Lambe's and Gold's roadside fresh local produce, making applesauce or pies from our trees in fall, browsing Clarksburg / "arts-burg" , hiking the Bruce Trail... probably forgot some in there :) AND in Collingwood 20 min. west is a boardwalk, great in-town bike trail, Sunset Park beach and excellent playground, Elephant THoughts for kids, Too Good to be Through and Design by Consign shops, Tremaine restaurant with artists in residence above, the Shipyards waterfront.. maybe that's enough, huh?
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
** Rates do NOT include utilities / services (wifi, satellite TV, gas, water, hydro,etc.) so that you pay only for what you actually use and want. ** ** MINIMUM SKI SEASON STAY is 4 MONTHS , not 90 days ** (unfortunately this VRBO/Homeaway website does not allow Owners to specify that we have a minimum stay longer than 90 days) UTILITIES: We will specify a utilities deposit you will pay upfront. After the utility bills for your stay have been received we will provide them and 'settle up' (refund or request additional payment). Mandatory utilities are: electricity, water/sewer, gas, basic satellite TV. Grass cutting service IS included in the rate shown.