|Minimum Stay||31 - 90 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
A charming little fully-updated 1940's era riverfront cottage, set on a quiet cul de sac in town - just park the car and walk to 'everything' in the quaint village of Thornbury (2 hr from Toronto, 15 min. from the Blue Mountain "Village at Blue" resort).
We carefully renovated and updated this unique property to add 'must have' features like a master ensuite bathroom and big deck, while preserving its authentic vintage cottage vibe.
- Secluded master suite with walkout to deck, ensuite bath with heated slate floor
- 2 additional bedrooms on the other side of the cottage, sharing a 2nd bright bathroom
- Clean, sunny kitchen with butcher-block-topped island open to living / dining area
- Cozy real wood-burning stove
- Quality casual furnishings (distressed leather couch, oak dining table, etc.)
- Walkout to west deck (gorgeous sunsets over the harbour) with separate lounge and dining areas
- Propane BBQ, fire pit for toasting marshmallows
- Shed with power and workbench for ski-tuning, bike storage
Our guests agree the place 'cuddles up' to you in a way 'new-builds' simply can't !
PERFECT "0 traffic" cul de sac location yet right in town so you can walk to 'casual elegant' restaurants, pubs, bakery, cheese gallery, fair trade coffee shop, liquor/beer store, pharmacy, TD bank, 24 hr grocery, shops, antique/flea market, local artist galleries, etc.
Simply enjoy the cottage or get outside and:
- FISH the Beaver River from your backyard
- BIKE the 35 km Georgian Trail 1 min. from your door
- WALK the river bank up to the fish ladder, dam and mill pond (5min. )
- SWIM from Little River Park beach or off the harbor pier, 5 min. walk
- PLAY TENNIS at Bayview Park public courts, basically 'across the street' 2 min. walk
- LISTEN to free 'Jazz in the Park' on Sunday evenings ( 2 min. walk) at Bayview Park
- PADDLE the Beaver River (rent from Gyles in town or Free Spirit Tours farther upriver )
- SAIL Georgian Bay from the harbour across the river via footbridge, 2 min. walk
- BROWSE /BUY local artists work in 'arts-burg' (Clarksburg), 5 min. drive
- GOLF Lora Bay's Raven or several other courses nearby, 10 min. drive
- HIKE the Bruce Trail, 10 min. drive to Kolapore access for example
- ROCK climb, SPELUNK, MOUNTAIN or ROAD BIKE the Niagara Escarpment
- SKI / SHRED/ TUBE the Blue Mountain (Village at Blue 15 min / Peaks 7 min. drive)
- ENJOY variety of events year-round in town or at 'Village at Blue' * 15 min. drive
Typically you must be in a condo right beside others if you want to be close to everything , OR you must drive everywhere if you want quiet / seclusion. But this little cottage offers both.
* The Village at Blue is a multi-million-$, year-round resort offering skiing, snow boarding and tubing, Xtreme mountain biking, golf, rock climbing wall, nearby Scandanavie spa, year-round water play area and more. Hotels, restaurants, shops of all kinds in a pedestrian village. Check the events every week Eg.outdoor concerts, art shows, sports events and demonstrations, movie nights, etc. on their VILLAGEATBLUE website
THANKS for looking!
NOTE: Our rates do NOT include utilities or services, which we bill separately. It's more work for us, but more fair to you to pay only for your actual usage.
** PLEASE READ - MINIMUM STAY **
1. Minimum legal stay is 31 NIGHTS per TBM Bylaw 2013-50. The cottage is in a 'downtown' area zoned ineligible for owner-operated Short Term Accommodation. (Unfortunately this VRBO/Homeaway site automatically posts 'daily' rates for properties that are NOT legally available on a 'daily' basis )
2. SKI SEASON minimum is 4 MONTHS at $CDN 8,000 plus utilities (not 90 days as stated in the "Rates" section. Again, sorry, but we Owners are unable to specify >90 days minimum stay on this VRBO/Homeaway site)
3. SUMMER SEASON is from Victoria Day to Thanksgiving (not 90 days as stated in the "Rates" section. Again, sorry, but we Owners are unable to specifiy >90 days minimum stay on this VRBO/Homeaway site)
Hello, I live in Toronto with my husband, Tom and our dog, Teddy. I have a global scope role in a large US company; Tom is the Canadian distributor for a niche musical instruments/accessories company.
Dorothy and Tom purchased this house in 2008
We had a log house on a large property outside Thornbury since 1996, so saw the area explode when the Village at Blue resort was built and everyone else discovered it's a fabulous year-round recreational and active retirement area!
We bought the cottage in 2008 because its location is PERFECT: in town, on the water and 0 traffic.
Originally, it was a tiny 1940's fisherman's hut that was added onto over decades by handyman prior owners. Being on pricey waterfront (the house on the point 2 doors down recently sold for well over $2M), its probable fate was a tear-down. But, I'm a sucker for 'saving' old homes, so spent about $45K to update it to proper standards and modern 'needs', while retaining some of its nostalgic charm (Eg. kept the iconic 1940's kitchen cabinets, tiny cozy bedrooms - and, sorry, no granite counters:)
The vintage 'vibe' of this humble cottage, the rivermouth view from the deck and totally 0 traffic yet being able to walk to everything in 5 min. ... well, you can't help but unwind and relax! It's about 'simple pleasures', depending on the season: the warmth and crackle of a real wood fire, walking up the river bank to watch the salmon jumping up the fish ladder (or to visit the Bakery for cinnamon buns), the crunch as you bite into an apple picked from a tree in your front yard, a bike ride from your back door along the Georgian Trail to Collingwood or Meaford for lunch, jumping off the harbour pier with the kids in summer, a stroll to Simplicity Bistro or Bruce or Sisi's the Dam Pub for dinner out, the colourful sunset through the sailboats' rigging, the patient, silent wading fishermen .... aaaaaaah
Also, although it's a small cottage, the little master suite is secluded off the kitchen, separated from the other 2 bedrooms and bath by the living/dining room and with its own walkout to the deck. An early-riser 'master' can make coffee in the morning and step outside to watch the fishermen without disturbing the rest of the household.
... AND oh did I mention? It's THE cutest waterfront, in-town property :)
My husband and I had a terrific week exploring Thornbury and the surrounding area. Your cottage was a very comfortable and cozy retreat, and many hours were spent enjoying the backyard view of the bay! Your attention to detail inside the cottage left us not wanting a thing. The location was ideal as we were close enough to walk or bicycle downtown or to the marina and yet it was private enough to enjoy that camping feeling sitting around a backyard campfire. Thanks again for a wonderful vacation.
It's difficult to describe the joy one feels when making that last turn after a 5 hour drive, finding in front of you, the Cottage you booked from a Continent away, exactly as in the pictures in the listing. Indeed, within 10 minutes, we were at home.
Inside and outside, everything was just super and indeed I've pinned the listing to my desktop so that I can click on it every time I feel nostalgic about our sublime 2 weeks there.
This property was spotless and everything including the appliances all functioned perfectly. Bedlinens were all there too. The location was actually even a little better than promised and sitting on the extensive deck in the evening, literally on the edge of Georgian Bay, really does take some beating. The attractions of Thornbury are so close by that if you didn't need it for touring, you could dispense with a car.
The Owner was a mine of information and we followed up on most of her recommendations. Here too we weren't disappointed and particularly enjoyed the Dam Pub and Bridges in Thornbury. Also Ted's Diner on Range Road near Meaford is a real gem and the Canadian Cheeseplate at the Coffin Ridge Vineyard (not to mention the wine) is simply outstanding. We also took a 30,000 Island Cruise from Penetanguishene, booked from the UK and that was very worthwhile too.
Friends from about 50 kms away came to visit and were so impressed with our "find", they will be recommending it to their Family and friends from all over Canada.
To summarise, for Europeans especially but also for people more local, if you want to see a part of real Canada and live like Canadians do, try this.
We thoroughly enjoyed out week long stay in this well appointed, clean cottage overlooking Georgian Bay - laundry facilities, great shower, games, DVD player, wood stove and fire pit and more. The massive deck allows you to chase the sun or the shade throughout the day, while waves lapping on the shore make gentle noise in the background. Perfect for watching the fishermen right across the riverside in the early morning and evening and beautiful sunsets. Kayak launch at the public park a very short drive away. Thornbury is a charming town with some great restaurants - if you don't want to use the cottage BBQ, check out Bruce Wine bar and Simplicity Bistro among others. A terrific week of unwinding!
We Found the entire week excellent . We loved the proximity to Thornbury.Very clean and well looked after.See you next year!
The Blue Mountain resort area of South/Central Ontario boasts a wide variety of outdoor activities year-round (ski, sail, hike, bike are the most popular). Thornbury retains its original rural 'small town' vibe but caters to the Toronto 'big city-type' standards. Our personal favourites: bike the 35 km Georgian Trail, Scandanavie Spa, whatever free event is on at Village at Blue resort, Scenic Caves for cross country skiing in winter or zipline/nature walk other times - or just the spectacular views from the lookout off the road nearby, Coffin Ridge winery on the way to Owen Sound (eat on the deck- get the cheese tray); in Thornbury: Simplicity Bistro, Bruce Wine Bar, the Cheese Gallery, Ashanti coffee shop, Thornbury Bakery, skiing at the Peaks (private club) or Blue (public), swimming off Thonbury pier or with kids at Little River Park beach, summer Sunday nights Jazz in the Bayview Park, watching the salmon climb the fish ladder in fall, picking raspberries in summer, Gramma Lambe's and Gold's roadside fresh local produce, making applesauce or pies from our trees in fall, browsing Clarksburg / "arts-burg" , hiking the Bruce Trail... probably forgot some in there :) AND in Collingwood 20 min. west is a boardwalk, great in-town bike trail, Sunset Park beach and excellent playground, Elephant THoughts for kids, Too Good to be Through and Design by Consign shops, Tremaine restaurant with artists in residence above, the Shipyards waterfront.. maybe that's enough, huh?
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Dec 1 2016 - Apr 15 2017
90 night minimum stay
Apr 16 2017 - May 18 2017
31 night minimum stay
May 19 2017 - Oct 9 2017
90 night minimum stay
Oct 10 2017 - Dec 1 2017
31 night minimum stay
** Rates do NOT include utilities or services such as wifi, TV, etc. to ensure you only pay for what you actually use and want. **
** MINIMUM SKI SEASON CHARGE IS $C 8,000 PLUS UTILITIES for 4 months or less ***
** MINIMUM SUMMER SEASON IS: VICTORIA DAY THROUGH CANADIAN THANKSGIVING **
Sorry for any confusion caused by VRBO/Homeaway not allowing Owners to specify >90 days as Minimum Stay
FULL SEASON guests: To avoid over or undercharging, we provide proof of your actual utilities use for re-imbursement. Mandatory utilities are: electricity (ie. hydro), water/sewer, gas and basic satellite TV. Optional services are: wifi and upgraded TV service (you may arrange directly with Bell Canada call 310-BELL), cleaning during your stray, firewood and delivery/stacking, snow removal (we can provide contacts if you wish). Grass cutting service IS included in the rate shown.
OTHER than Full Season guests: Please contact us for the additional utilities cost for your stay.
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.